• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Specifically DA revolvers of a carryable sort. I've been combing the shows and online vendors and finding very little. Looked at a 4" Taurus 94 Saturday that seemed like a nice gun and have a 2" version waiting for pickup at my local dealer's that I pulled off of GB last week. Also looking at LittleCrummyRevolvers and some of the S&Ws but don't feel like spending $6xx and $8xx respectively. On the fence when it comes to older items like the High Standard Sentinel or the H&R 929 or tip-ups. Cheap as they are, they still seem to be over-valued as 'shooters' and valued more as 'collectors'.

Been looking pretty hard for a Taurus 942 in LR or Mag, 2" or 3", alloy or steel(I'm not particular), but nobody seems to have them in stock anywhere. Picked up a 3" Mag on GB but that went sideways when the seller contacted me to say that the listing was wrong and the serial number pulled from stock was some Taurus autoloader instead of the revolver listed. I keep a CONSTANT search open on GB for a Taurus 942 but every time one gets listed it's gone within an hour, either pulled or sold. Have seen a couple dozen go that way over the last two weeks. Really strange.

What else is out there that I should be looking at/for? Pics of my new 94 will post soon as I pick it up, maybe later today. That one was a windfall I think. Caught it as soon as it turned up on GB with an opening bid of $250 but hit the BN option for $300. Thought that was a good price after what I've been finding/not finding, and now I'm sure of it. Watched an identical revolver finally close on GB last night at $715. It strikes me as odd that any Taurus pulls that sort of bid.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Haunting the GB listings paid off again. The H&R 929 is a utilitarian nine shot swing out cylinder .22. I keep seeing them listed in the 300-600 range which is a hard no, but I still would like to have one to see how heavy a tiny all steel frame revolver is and whether the H&R trigger can be tuned for a decent pull. One popped up today in decent condition for 145 BN and it's on the way. I'll be in under 190 with all the fees/taxes when I slip it into my pocket, so worth doing. It's more of a tacklebox gun w/4" barrel but I'll do something with it. I kinda sorta want to cobble a red dot on it and see if I can shoot it, but the trigger and probably some grip work will have to come first.

One nice thing,....the H&R and Taurus 94 take the same speedloaders, so that's handy. I ordered a few that came in the mail Saturday and also found a pair still in the packaging for cheap at a local show,.....also on Saturday.

Not so nice that I have to worry about beating it up, but structurally sound.

Attachments

• H&R929.jpg
      H&R929.jpg
      263 KB · Views: 10

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Charter Arms makes a pathfinder in .22lr and .22mag if you can find one. Picked up a .22mag with a 4 inch barrel last year. Have not had much time to shoot it but have no complaints from when I did.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I've watched several videos on the Charter Arms .22s. There was a dealer at the last Crown Point show that had a couple on his table. If I go next weekend that'll be my first stop. My only experience with Charter Arms is a .44 Bulldog around here someplace. Have never taken it out of the box but 'had to have it' for one reason or another.

I've noticed that cylinder capacity is 6,7,8,9 rounds and I'm not sure how the Charters run. I've seen both 6 and 8 rd cylinders in the same model .22LRs. The Magnums are 6 I believe. The #1 rule is that more rds are better. There are no other rules that I'm aware of. The Ruger LCRs are 8rd in .22LR and 6rds in Magnum. The current Taurus 942 is 8rd in either LR or Magnum. And the earlier generation Taurus 94 is either 6rd LR(earlier guns)or 9rd in the later guns. The equivalent Magnum chambered gun is a 941 and holds eight.

Pretty sure I'm going to end up with a handful of guns by the time I work my way through this part of the addiction so I'm trying to standardize on 'something'. I really just wish the Taurus 942s were more available. They're all 8 shot, LR or Magnum. You can have any of them in 2" or 3" and you can have any version in alloy or stainless, or blackened stainless. I'd just order a smattering of those if I could find them. I've signed up for notification of in stock availability for any and all models at three different distributors but don't expect to ever get a notification. Seems like any time one comes in stock they just throw it up on GB and it sells within minutes.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I've watched several videos on the Charter Arms .22s. There was a dealer at the last Crown Point show that had a couple on his table. If I go next weekend that'll be my first stop. My only experience with Charter Arms is a .44 Bulldog around here someplace. Have never taken it out of the box but 'had to have it' for one reason or another.

I've noticed that cylinder capacity is 6,7,8,9 rounds and I'm not sure how the Charters run. I've seen both 6 and 8 rd cylinders in the same model .22LRs. The Magnums are 6 I believe. The #1 rule is that more rds are better. There are no other rules that I'm aware of. The Ruger LCRs are 8rd in .22LR and 6rds in Magnum. The current Taurus 942 is 8rd in either LR or Magnum. And the earlier generation Taurus 94 is either 6rd LR(earlier guns)or 9rd in the later guns. The equivalent Magnum chambered gun is a 941 and holds eight.

Pretty sure I'm going to end up with a handful of guns by the time I work my way through this part of the addiction so I'm trying to standardize on 'something'. I really just wish the Taurus 942s were more available. They're all 8 shot, LR or Magnum. You can have any of them in 2" or 3" and you can have any version in alloy or stainless, or blackened stainless. I'd just order a smattering of those if I could find them. I've signed up for notification of in stock availability for any and all models at three different distributors but don't expect to ever get a notification. Seems like any time one comes in stock they just throw it up on GB and it sells within minutes.
    Nice thing with 22lr you spend some quality range time with out breaking the bank.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think you are on the right track with the 94 or the Pathfinder, maybe throw the LCRx in the hunt

I regret not picking up a 617/317 or SP101 back when they were more reasonable.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Nice thing with 22lr you spend some quality range time with out breaking the bank.
    Yes, I can shoot 22LR for the rest of my life for free. I bought up about 100,000rds back when I had an American-180 and then never shot the AM-180 and sold it. Now I have cases of 22LR stacked to the ceiling. And I think of that every time I'm tempted to buy a .22 Magnum. Yeah, you might get an extra 150fps out of a short revolver barrel with the Magnum, but it'll cost you sixty dollars every time you want to burn a hundred rds at the range. LR I shoot for FREE!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yes, I can shoot 22LR for the rest of my life for free. I bought up about 100,000rds back when I had an American-180 and then never shot the AM-180 and sold it. Now I have cases of 22LR stacked to the ceiling. And I think of that every time I'm tempted to buy a .22 Magnum. Yeah, you might get an extra 150fps out of a short revolver barrel with the Magnum, but it'll cost you sixty dollars every time you want to burn a hundred rds at the range. LR I shoot for FREE!
    Might not be a bad idea to add A Henry Lever Action over the top fun!

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I have rifles covered. Not impressed by the Henry rifles but I do have an older Marlin M39 and several .22 pumps here for manual shooting. Just interested in .22 revolvers for the moment. I've always thought of revolvers as having one advantage,......not tossing your empty cases into the weeds,.....and why would that be an advantage with a .22? So I never really thought about them before.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have rifles covered. Not impressed by the Henry rifles but I do have an older Marlin M39 and several .22 pumps here for manual shooting. Just interested in .22 revolvers for the moment. I've always thought of revolvers as having one advantage,......not tossing your empty cases into the weeds,.....and why would that be an advantage with a .22? So I never really thought about them before.
    Might want to add a Dan Wesson .22 revolver in the search also especially a Monson made one.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have an S&W 63-5 in 3" that I absolutely love. It's almost a mirror image of my Model 60 3", but in a cheap caliber that you can shoot all day. It gets a lot of range time, and has also been used to eliminate the odd nuisance animal around the property. Yeah, it was kinda pricy at $630, but it was worth it. The trigger is a hair heavier than my model 60's in order to provide reliable ignition on the rimfire cartridges, but I'll happily put up with that to ensure it goes bang every time.

I'd kinda like a 317 airweight to go with it, and a 43C to use as a rimfire companion to my 640, but my wants have outpaced my funds at this point.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I'll look into that but I suspect it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for pocket carry or at least a .22LR trainer for the same and capacity is king. I really don't want to be limited to six rds and not really looking for anything more than say 25oz. <20oz would be better. I have all sorts of 'big' guns,......more than I need. I don't see a need for a large .22 revolver of any kind personally.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I have an S&W 63-5 in 3" that I absolutely love. It's almost a mirror image of my Model 60 3", but in a cheap caliber that you can shoot all day. It gets a lot of range time, and has also been used to eliminate the odd nuisance animal around the property. Yeah, it was kinda pricy at $630, but it was worth it. The trigger is a hair heavier than my model 60's in order to provide reliable ignition on the rimfire cartridges, but I'll happily put up with that to ensure it goes bang every time.

I'd kinda like a 317 airweight to go with it, and a 43C to use as a rimfire companion to my 640, but my wants have outpaced my funds at this point.
    Last 63 I saw was a grand and I do see the 317 all over GB. I have an option for the 63 in that I have a really nice one that's been saw-cut through the frame. Once I get to the point where I'm confident with my TIG welding I can put that one back together and have less than 200 in it,....way less than 200. But that's not going to happen any time soon. For that matter I've got a 617 and a 48 in the same condition, along with a 34 and a K22 I just picked up today in fact. I collect 'projects' as much as I collect guns.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'll look into that but I suspect it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for pocket carry or at least a .22LR trainer for the same and capacity is king. I really don't want to be limited to six rds and not really looking for anything more than say 25oz. <20oz would be better. I have all sorts of 'big' guns,......more than I need. I don't see a need for a large .22 revolver of any kind personally.
    Oh yeah the DW will be way bigger than you are looking for then.

I believe the LCR is an 8 shot

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Well I am all for not tossing the casings in the weeds. A clean range is a plus for sure.

Stated up stream a lcr might be an option , which ever flavor you decide on I hope you enjoy it and it serves you well.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ...snip... Also looking at LittleCrummyRevolvers and some of the S&Ws but don't feel like spending $6xx and $8xx respectively. ...snip...
    Yep, I read that. Then you mentioned maybes to a few more expensive guns. I will suggest the S&W 43C, .22lr, 8 rounds, 11.5 ounces. Or the one I carry a whole bunch, the S&W 351C, .22mag, 7 rounds, 11.5 ounces.

Both are hammerless, so DA only. The 351PD is the hammer version. Last Wednesday, Top Guns in Terre Haute still had one on display for less than $800.

I really like mine, it just has the heavy DA trigger endemic to rimfire revolvers.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Yes, those would be ideal as my normal carry is a 642,......I'm just choking on the price tag. I can buy 642s all day long for $300. Can't wrap my mind around the same gun with smaller holes being worth almost 3x the money. I understand availability and commonality and all that jazz,.......I just don't like feeling like a sucker. And I'm a died-in-the-wool S&W guy but I'm a bargain hunter as well. I've probably owned a hundred S&W wheelguns but I don't know if I've ever bought one new. No bargains seem to be available in .22LR or WMR.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Just wherever I look. I have a pair of them I got for under 300. I'm usually trolling on GB, finding bargains every day. I have a few tricks that work well there. I almost never bid on anything,......just refresh the pages constantly and grab under-priced guns as soon as they're listed. All it takes is time,....and I've got time.

Top Bottom