• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I am looking at going to Alaska. I understand that I can transport them through Canada. It is a hassle to do. I was wondering about taking the ferry at Bellingham, Washington. I did call the ferry operators and they told be that firearms are permitted on the ferry as long as they are locked up and away from ammo. However, I will be driving through some states that do not except Indiana's LTCH. I am wondering if it would be more of a hassle to take the ferry or just do the paper work and go through Canada. If anyone has traveled to Alaska let me know what you did to get your firearms up there.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Federal Peaceable Journey statute will allow you to transport your firearms in the intervening states that do not accept Indiana's LTCH. Can't help you with Canada, though. You could always ship your pistols to yourself at your destination.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have been through Canada to Alaska 2x rifles are OK but no handguns. Ship them to a dealer there and pick them up when you get there. Take a fishing pole and try to make some time to stop as you drive. It is a long drive make the best of it.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have been through Canada to Alaska 2x rifles are OK but no handguns. Ship them to a dealer there and pick them up when you get there. Take a fishing pole and try to make some time to stop as you drive. It is a long drive make the best of it.

They don't even have to go to a dealer. You can ship them to yourself where you will be staying if you trust someone there to accept and keep safe the package for you. They aren't allowed to open it though. They would have to go UPS or FedEx because commoners can't use USPS to ship handguns and they have to go overnight, which will be SUPER EXPENSIVE to Alaska. You could have them shipped from a local FFL to an FFL up there, they CAN use USPS so the shipping will be much cheaper. The cons to this route is the outgoing AND incoming dealer are going to want money, not sure what kind of deal you could work out with them, and you will have to execute a 4473 and have a NICS check done on the Alaska end when you get there and again at the home end when you take delivery of the handguns. Either way, getting handguns to Alaska will be pricey.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am looking at going to Alaska. I understand that I can transport them through Canada. It is a hassle to do. I was wondering about taking the ferry at Bellingham, Washington. I did call the ferry operators and they told be that firearms are permitted on the ferry as long as they are locked up and away from ammo. However, I will be driving through some states that do not except Indiana's LTCH. I am wondering if it would be more of a hassle to take the ferry or just do the paper work and go through Canada. If anyone has traveled to Alaska let me know what you did to get your firearms up there.

It used to be fairly easy to take guns into canada....but I don't believe it is anymore (last time I went was in 1978).

Could take a boat up from Washington.......

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is it possible to work out a "rental" with a local dealer where you buy a used gun and he buys it back for 90% of the value in a month if it's in good condition? Tell them you'd even buy the ammo there. Seems like less of a hassle that way.

You can have the shotgun/rifle for the trip up there. Sounds like a great trip for sure.

Should we start taking pics in fun places with INGO Logos displayed?

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I just read on the Canadian Mounted Police website that handguns of certain types are allowed to be transported with an Authorization to Transport form. This must be sent in an advance to get authorization. I am not sure of the approval rate though.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    The Federal Peaceable Journey statute will allow you to transport your firearms in the intervening states that do not accept Indiana's LTCH. Can't help you with Canada, though. You could always ship your pistols to yourself at your destination.
    Can I ship them to my own address or do I have to ship them to an FFL dealer?

Top Bottom