• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Been needing to round out my collection with a good 308 bolt gun. Having trouble deciding between the Tikka T3X and the Browning X bolt.
    th-3369577102.jpg th-2116073140.jpg
    To preface. Not much of a hunter. Will be used for shilouette long range target and hopefully nothing else if you get my drift.

Which is the better rifle for the task?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Personally I would look at savage if your set on buying a factory rifle, otherwise wise have you thought about "spec'ing out" your rifle.....start with a receiver, add a barrel, trigger, bottom metal & stock.....I personally cannot find a factory out of the box rifle that fits my needs, cost is about the same once you consider changing stock or trigger on a factory build.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've had Savages before. They shoot well but they have extraction issues at times. It's hit or miss. Their actions are decent. I have 2 CTRs in Manners stocks. One 308 and a 6.5C. Not only do they shoot extremely well but the Tikka action rivals custom actions. It's super smooth and slick. Remember that Tikka is Sako's offspring. I have $1700 invested in each of my Tikkas minus the optics, rings and suppressors. Factory trigger is excellent. I'm not sure if Manners makes a drop in stock for the Tikka anymore. A custom action and barrel by themselves will cost you almost that.
    2021-02-06_04-03-00.jpg

Indianapail

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 13, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Been needing to round out my collection with a good 308 bolt gun. Having trouble deciding between the Tikka T3X and the Browning X bolt.
    View attachment 269621 View attachment 269622
    To preface. Not much of a hunter. Will be used for shilouette long range target and hopefully nothing else if you get my drift.

T3X is apparently incredible

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    View attachment 269621 View attachment 269622

Hands down the T3X. You can shoot it now and when you want to start really getting into the sport, you can modify it to your hearts desire. You can get a prefit barrel for T3X, not the x-bolt. That right there would sway me to the T3X.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Given how much the new Tikkas have jumped in price, you might as well just get a Sako S20. It's probably the best deal going currently on a quality rifle.

DCNelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Tikka would be my choice, I've recently purchased a T3X Tac A1 and the fit/finish is outstanding and typical Tikka. Add the fact they pride themselves with a quality barrel/trigger and out of the box you won't need to do anything.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The CTR stock has a built in cheek riser and the forearm is a tad wider. CTR also has a medium profile barrel. They use better mags too.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Thoughts on the CTR versus the standard? Magazine looks substantially different. Looks kinda heavy.
    The CTR (Compact Tactical Rifle) has a heavier medium contour threaded barrel. The magazine has a higher capacity. It's probably better suited for shooting from a bipod or rest as opposed to the lighter sporter models. I didn't care much for the plastic stock and replaced it.
    IMG_1379.jpg

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    If it were me between those two the T3X, I haven't heard a lot of good about the X-Bolt but lots of raves for Tikka.
    I am personally leaning toward a Howa instead. Since I'm pretty convinced I will end up modifying the rifle, the $150-200 cheaper Howa price tag can go into the Better Stock and Bipod fund.
    If sky were the limit I'd be on the waiting list for an ARC Coup De Grace.

Top Bottom