Swampfox Optics.. A best Kept Secret.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've owned more than a handful of Vortex scopes and had very few complaints with them. I have the Trijicon 1-8x, it was a spontaneous purchase after I looked through one the rep brought by my office. It currently doesn't have a rifle to sit on but I figure one will come along some day. :D

My .308 rifle that I used for work I built over the course of about 18 months. I worked a part time job and saved as much of the money as I could until I could buy a piece of it. Once I had everything I needed I shipped the components off and had it put together. It's been an amazing rifle and is one that I'll never part with.

ETA: Sorry for the tangent OP. Nice review, I'd like to get my hands on one and check it out.

I will add this, a 500 dollar scope is fine for one that just goes to the same range year in and year out and hardly ever cranks on the turrets or screws.
    If one uses a low cost scope for constantly changing ranging, it will fail quickly and I will ad that the two guys I shoot with both are huge top of the line Vortex buyers, and after a year or so of turret cranking they all have made at least one or more trips to the warranty dept.
    Never once have I needed to send in for repair any of my Leupold or NF scopes.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have you seen the Tac TV episode where Larry Vickers blew up a DD M4 inside a car with tannerite and the aimpoint still worked and held zero?
    He also has a video of an Aimpoint recovered from a house fire, the AR was melted nearly beyond recognition, and the Aimpoint was ugly, but STILL WORKED!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I will add this, a 500 dollar scope is fine for one that just goes to the same range year in and year out and hardly ever cranks on the turrets or screws.
    If one uses a low cost scope for constantly changing ranging, it will fail quickly and I will ad that the two guys I shoot with both are huge top of the line Vortex buyers, and after a year or so of turret cranking they all have made at least one or more trips to the warranty dept.
    Never once have I needed to send in for repair any of my Leupold or NF scopes.
    Everyone touts WARRANTY, my take is, if you have to use the warranty, the product is probably unsat. There are ALWAYS exceptions to that rule, but I refuse to buy some products because I’m almost assured to have to test the warranty customer service.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I find FFP very useful even though I don't use a reticle to range a target very often. I like variable optics and tend to use them in different magnification settings. I also don't have time to make scope adjustments if a coyote or groundhog pops up. I can use a FFP reticle for holdovers and/or wind holds and the reticle is accurate regardless of which magnification setting the scope is on. SFP scopes require the magnification to be set at a specific point for the reticle to be accurate for ranging or holds.

For me FFP = fewer misses due to equipment

Cool, glad it works for you.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Everyone touts WARRANTY, my take is, if you have to use the warranty, the product is probably unsat. There are ALWAYS exceptions to that rule, but I refuse to buy some products because I’m almost assured to have to test the warranty customer service.

I agree... The best warranty is the one you never have to use..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Have you seen the Tac TV episode where Larry Vickers blew up a DD M4 inside a car with tannerite and the aimpoint still worked and held zero?

Good thing Im not in the business of blowing up any of my guns. All my magnified optics may not work after and Id be in trouble :):

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Cool, glad it works for you.

What is it about FFP that you think is overhyped? I'm clear on your feelings about ranging and don't think it's an unreasonable stance but I'm confused how a SFP scope is superior to a FFP scope as far as shooting at different distances or wind calls utilizing the reticle? Is there another way SFP is superior to FFP that I'm unaware of?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Never said it was superior. Just said it was better for me. If it's something that someone wants, thats great. I just think its an oversold feature that 90% of shooters its markered to will take zero advantage of its benefits. If your not gonna use it, why pay for it?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I guess I just assumed that I was in the majority of users of FFP as far as how I use it. Seems quicker than turning turrets and easier to hold over accurately.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I like my FFP scopes and if I was starting over and the cost was the same ( of course it is not ) all of my scopes would be FFP except for the 1-4 or 1-6. On those I think SFP is better because I have never shot them between the min. and max. and the reticle being larger at 1x is better than FFP. That being said I think that SFP is AOK for most uses.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I just ordered both Liberty and Justice to see for myself how these workout. The preorder date is first week of October. I’m guessing it’s 7-10 bidness days for shipping. I will be firing roughly 250 rounds with both on my Gen5 g19MOS and 320x carry.

Top Bottom