SW Guys- Whats a value range for a used 640-1 .357?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I am not a revolver guy except for a couple Ruger Single Six's in .22. Period.

Got my eye on a local used SW 640-1 Stainless .357 snubby.

What is a high-low price range for this beaut.

Thanks for any input/recommendations.

:ingo:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Hello, sorry for the late reply, this one slipped by me somehow.

Prices for BNIB 640 revolvers generally hover a little north of the $600 range. I have a 640-3, which to my knowledge is still the most current dash version, and I paid $599 new for mine a little over a year ago. In general, I see used 640 models in good condition ask around the $500 mark for private sales, maybe a little more if someone has added a front night sight, or after market grips.

I would say between $450 - $500, depending on condition, would be a fair price from what I've seen recently.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Prices for BNIB 640 revolvers generally hover a little north of the $600 range. I have a 640-3, which to my knowledge is still the most current dash version, and I paid $599 new for mine a little over a year ago. In general, I see used 640 models in good condition ask around the $500 mark for private sales, maybe a little more if someone has added a front night sight, or after market grips.

I would say between $450 - $500, depending on condition, would be a fair price from what I've seen recently.

Agree...my LGS is out the door $615 for a new one.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

Thanks. This is a 640-1 for about $475. So in the middle.

How are the DA triggers? Long heavy- yes?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Thanks. This is a 640-1 for about $475. So in the middle.

How are the DA triggers? Long heavy- yes?

That's not a bad price. Out of the box, the trigger on my 640-3 was definitely NOT what I normally associate with S&W revolvers. It was heavy, and a bit long & gritty. I didn't waste much time installing an Apex J-Frame spring kit with their extended firing pin. Really made a difference in lightening and smoothing out the trigger, and I've never had a light primer strike issue. It's also an easy install, and IMHO, it's $20-$25 well spent. In fact, depending where you are, I would be happy to help you install it... just have to be careful with removing the screws from the side plate so you don't scratch anything up... masking tape is your friend! There are some great YouTube videos on how to install it if you want to do it yourself, just take your time, it's not hard.

Also... the 640-1 you are looking at may have a very different trigger feel than my more recent 640-3, so don't feel like you absolutely have to think about any kind of spring swapping until you've had a chance to give the trigger a few squeezes.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Definitely agree on the magnums! I've put one cylinder through mine. One. While it's not horrific, it's definitely a handful, and not a lot of fun unless you have a big bunch of bananas for hands.

Indiucky, I've been carrying mine daily pretty much since I got it as well. It just fits, rides nice, and is easy to carry IWB. I don't see anything replacing it, and fantastic to hear you've been doing likewise for 15+ years! I have an XS Big Dot night sight on the front, which I like really well.

20151112_184043_resized_zps3docb3fb.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    The problem with this gun is I believe you SHOULD practice with something "in the same ball-park" to the load you carry in it. According to S&W in the conversation I had with them over the phone and in the printed letter they sent me the J-frame .357 Magnum is NOT up to that task.

Unless of course you carry .38 Specials. But if you do that you would be better off carrying a gun chambered in .38. The .38 Special (even the +Ps) have precious little in the way of velocity that it can spare with the triple disadvantage of a barrel-to-cylinder gap AND a long .357 chamber to overcome as it makes it's way to a snub barrel.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Got a 640-1 that I bought a Shoe's on 10th St by Ben Davis. Sent to Mag-na-port had the sights opened up and night sight vales put on each side of sight opening. Carried as backup for many years with my 1911. Put several 1000 rounds down range and it still shoots where I point it. Best double action trgger on any S&W J I have ever shot.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The problem with this gun is I believe you SHOULD practice with something "in the same ball-park" to the load you carry in it. According to S&W in the conversation I had with them over the phone and in the printed letter they sent me the J-frame .357 Magnum is NOT up to that task.

Unless of course you carry .38 Specials. But if you do that you would be better off carrying a gun chambered in .38. The .38 Special (even the +Ps) have precious little in the way of velocity that it can spare with the triple disadvantage of a barrel-to-cylinder gap AND a long .357 chamber to overcome as it makes it's way to a snub barrel.

I hear you but I am just not one of those gun guys...Self defense is like reason number 5 I am into guns...I shoot various Smith and Wesson's every weekend at our little farm...From .22 up to .44 magnum...My idea of "training" is to every now and again draw whichever one I am wearing that day and loose a couple rounds at the steel while I am grilling burgers, chicken, or steak....

The closest I ever came to death was either a peanut or a sesame seed that got stuck in my intestine and caused it to burst...I can tell you what being gut shot feels like anyway.......

In five years I have resisted getting into the "What's your excuse for not training or taking classes?" thread......I am afraid I would be flamed by the tactical crowd telling me how I am going to die because I carry a five shot revolver and don't put 500 rounds a week through it on a human torso target...It's just not my thing...Seems, hot, crowded, loud, and boring to me....

Grilling burgers and drawing a classic Smith revolver and loosing a few rounds D/A (because that's the way they are meant to be shot) at my steel is more my style....

I don't "practice" or "train" but I do "shoot" two days a week...More for love of the gun than any thought of self defense...

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    My "training" is thus:

New gun - shoot 200 rounds of range ammo/ball through gun without a cleaning. In same session shoot 50 rounds of my carry/HD load through it. If gun does the above with no problems I deem it fit to carry and/or load up for home defense. Of course I won't load up for defense with a piece unless/until I can keep a 5-10 shot group on a standard paper plate at 10 yards.

After the above is satisfied I try to go to the range (I'm a Redbrush member) at least once a month (usually comes out more like every 6 weeks) where I will do 50 (revolvers)-100 (autos) in a session. I will only shoot ONE gun per range session. I clean/lube said gun the same day I shoot it. I don't like holstering dirty guns so I like to have two identical carry guns that I can swap out each session (one to carry and one to shoot). My main (and practically ONLY) interest in guns is for defensive use. I've never hunted and probably never will unless I have to!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My "training" is thus:

New gun - shoot 200 rounds of range ammo/ball through gun without a cleaning. In same session shoot 50 rounds of my carry/HD load through it. If gun does the above with no problems I deem it fit to carry and/or load up for home defense. Of course I won't load up for defense with a piece unless/until I can keep a 5-10 shot group on a standard paper plate at 10 yards.

After the above is satisfied I try to go to the range (I'm a Redbrush member) at least once a month (usually comes out more like every 6 weeks) where I will do 50 (revolvers)-100 (autos) in a session. I will only shoot ONE gun per range session. I clean/lube said gun the same day I shoot it. I don't like holstering dirty guns so I like to have two identical carry guns that I can swap out each session (one to carry and one to shoot). My main (and practically ONLY) interest in guns is for defensive use. I've never hunted and probably never will unless I have to!

We both are awesome...:)

Top Bottom