8620 E. 21st Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46219
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​

Sgt. John Perrine
    Public Information Officer
    317-899-8287
    DATE: May 19, 2023​

Indianapolis, IN - May 18, 2023 at 7:28 p.m., Indiana State Police Dispatchers received a 911 call about a person firing shots from inside a silver Ford Focus on I-465 eastbound near Mann Road. Dispatchers gathered as much descriptive information about the suspect's vehicle as possible and relayed that information to responding troopers.

At 7:33 p.m. a trooper located the Ford Focus near East Street and Tulip Drive, with the assistance of other troopers and officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, the vehicle was pulled over and the driver was detained. A subsequent investigation led to a request for a search warrant, which was granted by a judge. During the search of the vehicle troopers located a firearm, ammunition and empty shell casings. 21 year old Carlos Avelar of Indianapolis was arrested and transported to the Marion County Jail. It is unknown if any other vehicles in the area at the time of the shooting were damaged and there were no injuries reported.
    Ramerez now faces the preliminary charges of Intimidation, Unlawful Possession of a Firearm and Criminal Recklessness.

Indiana State Police Sergeant Nate Raney said, "The troopers and dispatchers on this case did an outstanding job during this incident, their effective communication led to the successful conclusion of this complex investigation."

This is the 22nd incident involving shots being fired on Indianapolis area interstates so far this year. Troopers in the Indianapolis District have also investigated 74 other incidents on area interstates where a gun was displayed or pointed without shots being fired.

The Indiana State Police is asking all motorists to report road rage immediately by calling 911, even if the caller is not involved. Information provided by uninvolved witnesses often play a crucial role in these investigations.

All crimes mentioned above are alleged and all suspects are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court. The charges listed were used as probable cause for arrest, actual charges will be determined by the Marion County Prosecutor's Office upon review of the case.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Weaksauce charges. Where's assault with a deadly weapon? Attempted murder?

How long will this one be in a jail cell? A weekend?

I think jailers should start announcing when such animals are released from the cage back into the wild....you know, so folks can keep an eye on them and make sure an accident does not befall them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm still shocked to hear that there were 22 instances of shots being fired and 74 instances of guns being displayed or pointed just this year. Holy crap! :(

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Weaksauce charges. Where's assault with a deadly weapon? Attempted murder?

How long will this one be in a jail cell? A weekend?
    1. Indiana does not have Assault of any flavor. We do have Battery.

2. Attempted Murder, a specific intent crime, is among the hardest to prove.

3. If does not matter what he was arrested for, it matters what he is prosecuted for.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    21 year old Carlos Avelar of Indianapolis was arrested and transported to the Marion County Jail.

Ramerez now faces the preliminary charges of Intimidation, Unlawful Possession of a Firearm and Criminal Recklessness.

Huh??????

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I'm still shocked to hear that there were 22 instances of shots being fired and 74 instances of guns being displayed or pointed just this year. Holy crap! :(
    I moved from Indy to the Terre Haute area last year and there are some things about Indy that I just don't miss, 465 being one of them. 465 was always a bit of a race track in terms of everyone being in a hurry, but since the Covid shut down, it became a zoo. Even with the construction on the south side to accommodate the I-69 interchange, people are still driving 80+ through there and rarely do I see any sort of law enforcement in there. Of course, I don't drive through there as often now as I used to, but I went back to meet up with friends yesterday and it was a bit challenging driving on 465.

Top Bottom