• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    An axe. Better reach than the 6" knife the other guys have, so now I can have a knife and the med kits they gathered.
    Yep I like a good hatchet/axe
    These run around $80 IMO will worth it. The one I have is the 16" version.
    With this I can make weapons, shelter, firewood as well as self defense tool.
    1674472202001.png

thefinnnwi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Northwest Indiana/ Japan
    Scenario - You must leave your home, you will be on foot, you are only allowed one item from your survival kits, What would that one item be and why ? You are not allowed to take a firearms.
    Likely a survival knife or hatchet. At first I thought about a tarp with some 550, as staying dry is important... but after that, making survival tools would be difficult without a knife or hatchet.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    You all lose for following rules(come on the **** just hit the fan there are no rules).
    I will have my EDC plus grab the Volt 60L backpack going out the door(it is always ready to go hiking). I will have shelter,food(9 days worth+snacks),clothing,firearms,raingear,navigation,even nice dry socks,hygiene items,camp shoes(water shoes),nice warm sleeping bag,headlamps(two),and even a towel. It worked for 6 months from Georgia to Maine. If the **** just hit the fan and for some reason I have to leave my house on foot(highly unlikely) I am not leaving it.

If the real question was what survival item will help keep you alive,the answer for me would be knowledge,followed by a knife(as a very useful tool to help). Without the knowledge nothing you take will make the least bit of difference.

I would also be in for an INGO campout. There are many kinds of camping. Are we talking car or backpacking in? If car I can glamp with the best of them,if hiking I would be as well.
    Sounds like you did the AT. If so, you must be one tough SOB or crazier than a loon. Either way, my hat's off to you. Congrats on quite an accomplishment. A good friend of mine did the AT and then the PCT a few years ago. Can't imagine doing either of them myself.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like you did the AT. If so, you must be one tough SOB or crazier than a loon. Either way, my hat's off to you. Congrats on quite an accomplishment. A good friend of mine did the AT and then the PCT a few years ago. Can't imagine doing either of them myself.
    I did hike the AT,and finished it. It certainly takes a different mindset to start and finish that trail. I enjoy hiking,and the trail lifestyle. I have done many other trails as well. I have failed to. The continental divide trail and I still have a rematch some day(made it about half way on my attempt).

I do not blog or share my hiking on any social media. I hike for myself,not to signal anything to anyone. INGO is one of the only places I have even shared some of what I learned and experienced,mostly in the thread below.

Thank you for the congrats. It was a tough but rewarding journey to be sure.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom