• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    I'm sure there is some thread somewhere on this topic but sadly I can not find it so here goes.

I'm wanting to put together a survival backpack for my teenage son. Something in lines of if he gets lost hiking, needs to make a shelter or needs to make a fishing or trap line for food. Something he can learn to use if needed. Since this is for a teenager some guidelines must be in order.

1 No guns
    2 limited to or no weapons preferred (utility tool and such are ok)
    3 Real world stuff (No zombie crap)
    4 Size and weight does matter (needs to fit in a backpack)

I would love to hear some feedback on items that are a MUST have and items that would be nice to have. I figure you guys/gals would be a great learning experience for me. (I wouldn't be surprised if I had to upgrade my gear after this thread).

Thanks for help in advance!!!

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Water bottle(s)
    Some means of water purification
    Fire starting items; lighter, ferro rod and striker etc
    Swiss army knife
    Sock hat and gloves
    Poncho that can also be used as tarp
    Paracord
    Energy bar or similar

Bushcraft knowledge is better than most equipment

Check REI.com for their day hike and backpacking list

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Nalgene bottle full of basic first aid and water purifier tablets

Wet wipes

Nasa blanket or two

P cord

Whistle

Compass

Water proof matches

Two bic lighters

Fero rod

Couple water bottles

Hat

Gloves

Reflective tape

Fixed blade knife

Book of edible plants

Candle

Duct tape

Fix it stix

Folding saw

Balaclava

Signal mirror

Basic sewing kit

Fish hooks

Small mess kit

Small tarp

Ham radio

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    USB cell phone battery recharger.
    Flashlight or headlamp
    Maps paper or offline downloaded to phone. You can not get them without service.
    Compass/small
    Whistle
    Boo boo kit, and meds

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Has he been through the scouts? If so maybe let him pick and choose what goes into said pack. Chances are if he chooses to put an item in his pack he already knows how to utilize it.

If not then maybe a basic med kit, energy bars, high test fishing line, hooks, some sort of fire starter, and a solar cell phone charger. If he gets lost that cell phone would be far more handy than anything else.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Standalone GPS (Cellphone may be Out-of-Service) under $100
    And make sure said GPS is powered by regular batteries, not rechargeable if you go that route.
    And dont cheap out on the batteries. I tried that and found those cheapo batteries die over time. I had a go bag and after a couple years I tested the batteries and they were already mostly dead. (stored properly in a plastic case) Duracells so far seem to live up to their claims that they hold the charge.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    And make sure said GPS is powered by regular batteries, not rechargeable if you go that route.
    And dont cheap out on the batteries. I tried that and found those cheapo batteries die over time. I had a go bag and after a couple years I tested the batteries and they were already mostly dead. (stored properly in a plastic case) Duracells so far seem to live up to their claims that they hold the charge.

I have had good luck with Lithium AA's -- more power and last longer ... shelf life 10 years plus

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Some printed materials that should then be laminated. Map for regular area of operation and consider a compass. Printed list of phone numbers and emergency contacts. With cell phones everyone just lets the phone dial. If the phone dies being able to borrow someone else's phone and input a phone number will let him still call you. Speaking of paper, a couple of $20 bills to buy stuff or solve problems.

Backpack: select something age and school/friends appropriate so he will not be embarrassed to carry it. Comfortable for extended wear with planned weight. Consider a pack cover if you need to make it camouflaged (urban?) for grey man movement, let him have whatever cool colors/logos day to day and then slap on a pack cover if things go south.

Other good ideas above. Of course knowledge of what to do and how to use resources in backpack are important, as well as practice using. Talk through some scenarios, "what would you have wanted in your backpack if you were traveling out of town and in Texas when things went south?"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Some printed materials that should then be laminated. Map for regular area of operation and consider a compass. Printed list of phone numbers and emergency contacts. With cell phones everyone just lets the phone dial. If the phone dies being able to borrow someone else's phone and input a phone number will let him still call you. Speaking of paper, a couple of $20 bills to buy stuff or solve problems.
    <snip>
    We ALL probably need to heed that advice. Not just kids.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Level IV AR550 plate......

A WFR cert. and a few key items to use the knowledge.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    My setup is one of those tactical backpacks. you can get a first aid kit to attach to the outer mollies. def need some type of fire starters, paracord(that can also be strapped to the bag & not carried inside & some old style rope(can be made a firestarter), tarp or two(with rope & a tree can make a shelter, glow sticks, hand crank radio/flashlight. Water purification(lifestream can be connected to water bottle or a water bladder. Couple of other big issues whatever food stuffs & clothing you place in the bag you will need to adjust on a regular basis. There are lot's of things that you can include that will handle various things, but sometimes job specific tools are best. Trapping/fishing items. The last thing is to go out trail hiking and make sure they know how to use everything in the bag.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Lot of good stuff on here but I'll add a good slingshot with metal and some metal bb's for it
    I know you said no or limited weapons but if you practice a little they can be used for small game though not idea and even to a degree as a defensive weapon , I think the one I have is a barnett, doesn't take up much room and if nothing else if you're out for a prolonged period it's good entertainment to just pick up some rocks or something and let em rip, keeping young people entertained can be important

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We ALL probably need to heed that advice. Not just kids.
    Yeah, I think there are only two phone numbers I have committed to memory for the rest of my life so a printed list is helpful:
    • Childhood land line 555-1234
    • Jenny 867-5309

Thread drift... Speaking of phone numbers. If you lose your phone leave a clue on the locked coverphoto so some honest person might be able to get it back to you. I put my wife's number on my coverphoto (and vice versa).
    Monday.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, I think there are only two phone numbers I have committed to memory for the rest of my life so a printed list is helpful:
    • Childhood land line 555-1234
    • Jenny 867-5309

Thread drift... Speaking of phone numbers. If you lose your phone leave a clue on the locked coverphoto so some honest person might be able to get it back to you. I put my wife's number on my coverphoto (and vice versa).
    Good idea. In the iPhone world, we have "lost mode" Via your icloud account, you can remotely put whatever text you want on the screen, including a message. (please call me, reward offered, etc)

Last edited:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    As I've grown ive shifted my bag away from "survival" to shorter term "comfort and day savers" . The odds of me suddenly being thrown into a situation where I will be isolated long enough I'm going to need to purify water, trap, fish etc to survive are extremely low.

The odds of an emergency cell phone charge, spare pair of socks, duct tape, cordage, toilet paper etc making my day go better are pretty common.

A sampling for the current bag, couple bics, couple bottles of water, couple cliff bars, emergency blanket, some first aid, multi tool, fixed blade, sun block, bug spray, tp, pair of socks, hat, light jacket, gloves, sunglasses, USB powerbank/solar charger, para cord, safety pins, deodorant.

It's saved me from forgotten lunches, days that got cooler than expected, soggy socks, sun burns and bug bites on impromptu hikes, forgetting to charge my phone, forgetting a leash for the dog, ripped pants and all sorts of other things that make a day suck.

Top Bottom