• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I have several higher end shotguns that belonged to my Wife’s Grandfather who was an avid turkey hunter that we recently took possession of. They have spent several years in a safe and some have developed slight surface rust over time.

Is there somewhere I can take these to have them gone through and brought back to new as possible? Just looking to get the rust removed and have them throughly cleaned.

I live on the North side of Indianapolis in Carmel.

Thank you

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    Depending on how heavy the rust is, and the bore inside; I have soaked them in kerosene for 24 hours and used fine steel wool, and a brush being cautious not to disturb the petina.
    just be cautious if you are using a "neutral oil" or alkaline".....if it were me after this chore were done, i'd cover it in axle grease and let it absorb into the barrel and bore.
    just me two cents .

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Flitz polish was marketed as a blue-safe non- abrasive polish -

I’ve used it with success on a blued Remington 11-87 that got a bath in salt water, but with extensive rubbing, you’ll work through the blueing.

The kerosene and ultra fine steel wool sounds promising, just be sure to oil after you’re done. You can actually polish and de-tarnish chrome with a fine steel wool.

Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Really it kinda depends how bad the surface rust is, how high end the guns are, how far are you willing to go to restore them?
    Really they aren’t bad at all. I’d like to find someone who can just do it for as I don’t have time.

Just needing them cleaned up so they can be sold

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Really they aren’t bad at all. I’d like to find someone who can just do it for as I don’t have time.

Your best bet might be to contact the guys at Indiana Gun Club and see if they can recommend someone. The last thing you want if they are higher end is to have someone working on them that may not have the experience they claim.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

If you're just going to sell them, sell them "as-is" and let the buyer fix them up how they want.

It's going to cost you more to have somebody do the work than any extra you think you'll receive from a potential buyer.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I've used several methods in the past. One used Ballistol and a stainless steel pot scrubber. Used it on several firearm that had been left in the damp. Light rust large area, lightly scrub it keeping scrubber saturated with oil. On crevices and tight place, a brass brush, like a toothbrush. Same thing, use plenty of oil. Remember one thing, bluing is a product of rusting, several house items will remove bluing. Coke, vinegar, anything acid be careful.<><Duce

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Here's an extreme example of rust removal. The before and after is unbelievable not sure if it's safe to shoot though. Don't know what he is using. Twelve volt battery maybe?

It's cslled electrolysis. Use a battery charger for best results. All it is is a salt solution. When i did stuff, i just pumped the brine from my water softener tank. It is something anyone can do with what they have at home already. Google it an you'll see ev3n those guys restoring the 100 plus year old trains are using this method. When done, it will actually turn your iron/steel parts black.

Gufnstuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2022
    Seymour
    Grux, that is the kind of thing I’m into doing. Restoration of fire arms. Pm me and send pictures if you have them.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Top Bottom