• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    The Supreme Court unanimously rejected Biden administration arguments in a case from Rhode Island that police should be allowed to enter homes without a warrant to seize handguns.

The ruling in the case, Caniglia v. Strom, court file 20-157, came May 17. Oral arguments took place telephonically on March 24.

The case came before the high court as President Joe Biden and congressional Democrats pressed for aggressive new restrictions on Second Amendment gun ownership rights, including controversial “red flag” laws, which allow gun seizures from law-abiding gun owners with limited due process, in the wake of highly publicized deadly mass shootings in March at a Boulder, Colorado, supermarket and at Atlanta-area spas.

Police generally cannot conduct searches of private property without consent or a warrant.

In Cady v. Dombrowski the Supreme Court held in 1973 that police may conduct warrantless searches related to “community caretaking functions,” but only for “vehicle accidents.” Since then, the principle has become “a catchall for a wide range of responsibilities that police officers must discharge aside from their criminal enforcement activities,” the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals stated in the Caniglia case.

The community caretaking doctrine holds that police don’t always operate as law enforcement officials investigating wrongdoing, but sometimes as caretakers to prevent harm in emergency situations.

Edward Caniglia has no criminal history and no record of violence. He had been married to his wife for 22 years when, on Aug. 20, 2015, they had a disagreement inside their Cranston, Rhode Island, home.

The argument escalated. He produced an unloaded gun and said, “Why don’t you just shoot me and get me out of my misery?”

Worried he might be suicidal, his wife asked police to conduct a welfare check. The husband went to a local hospital briefly after police assured him they wouldn’t take his two handguns. After he left, they seized his guns without a warrant, telling the wife his life and others could be in danger if they left the guns in the home. The police refused to return the weapons and Caniglia sued, arguing the community caretaking exception should not apply inside “the home–the most protected of all private spaces.”

Writing the Supreme Court’s short, 4-page opinion in the case, Justice Clarence Thomas noted the Cady v. Dombrowski precedent, which he indicated applied to police “responding to disabled vehicles or investigating accidents.”

“The question today is whether Cady’s acknowledgment of these ‘caretaking’ duties creates a standalone doctrine that justifies warrantless searches and seizures in the home,” Thomas wrote.

“It does not,” he added.
    Thomas wrote that the federal district court ruled in favor of the police and the 1st Circuit expanded on this, stating that police “often have noncriminal reasons to interact with motorists” on public highways. The appeals court “extrapolated” from the Cady ruling “a freestanding community-caretaking exception that applies to both cars and homes.”
    The appeals court’s community caretaking rule “goes beyond anything this Court has recognized,” Thomas wrote.

Chief Justice John Roberts filed a concurring opinion, in which Justice Stephen Breyer joined. Justices Samuel Alito and Brett Kavanaugh filed separate concurring opinions.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Biden administration?

This case arose in 2015 and cert. was granted (the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case) in November 2020.

But yeah, this is a good one.

so basically this nukes the red flag laws in regards to homes across the whole country?

No.

Can't speak for other states, but in Indiana, they either have to have a warrant or an already-established exception to the warrant requirement must exist. This case was about expanding an exception that applied outside the home, on the public roadway, to the home...and no, it cannot be extended in that way.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Biden administration?

This case arose in 2015 and cert. was granted (the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case) in November 2020.

But yeah, this is a good one.

No.

Can't speak for other states, but in Indiana, they either have to have a warrant or an already-established exception to the warrant requirement must exist. This case was about expanding an exception that applied outside the home, on the public roadway, to the home...and no, it cannot be extended in that way.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    9-0 is pretty astonishing, especially for the camber-o-commerce wing of the SCOTUS. I like Thomas generally, but he often sux on 4th amendment cases. It is encouraging that he wrote the opinion of the court.
    with the BLM crowd being upset about police shootings from no knock warrants and the pro-2A crowd upset about red flag laws, it really isnt surprising to see a unanimous decision but it certainly is nice to see one on 4A.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    I never thought I'd see one.
    I dont want to derail this thread this early on but I can envision seeing one on prayer in schools overturning Engel vs Vitale.

Imagine a case in NY or some other solid blue urban area about whether muslims can have a muslim prayer in a public school.

Top Bottom