• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    I did the same as OP and didn't check with the shop I selected. Roby's is charging me $100 for the transfer. I guess it's the last time I go in there. Once the form 4 efile is live I was going to buy a can from them. I guess I'll be looking around for another shop that has a kiosk close to me.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    Final resolution. Haven’t received my can, but received a text from Hoosier Armory in Noblesville about 30 mins ago. Reduced the fee to $100 so I stopped in and paid cash. I was waiting for approval to come in then was going to transfer it to M and J Firearms in Fortville for $40 and M and J was going to charge me $50 for the transfer so for $10 it obviously wasn’t worth the effort. As in their emails to me they still don’t think their original fee is excessive. I directed him to this thread so see some unbiased discussion. I’ve been in this store 10 times and have enjoyed each visit. Always nice people. We just had a disagreement. Positive is I was able to meet the fellow at M and J. Martin I believe, and he’s equally as friendly and knowledgeable. Have transferred a couple rifles through him in past 2 or 3 months.

Last edited:

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I was waiting for approval to come in then was going to transfer it to M and J Firearms in Fortville for $40 and M and J was going to charge me $50 for the transfer so for $10 it obviously wasn’t worth the effort.
    Is your Form 4 submitted? What do you mean wait for approval, another Form 3?

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    Is your Form 4 submitted? What do you mean wait for approval, another Form 3?
    Maybe I’m missing something but waiting on the folks to say I can hook the can up to my CMMG 45 and not have to have hearing protection on my nightstand or hanging from my rear view camera/mirror.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Maybe I’m missing something but waiting on the folks to say I can hook the can up to my CMMG 45 and not have to have hearing protection on my nightstand or hanging from my rear view camera/mirror.
    Clearly.
    A Form 4 is a tax paid transfer from the dealer to you or you and another. A Form 3 is a tax exempt transfer between dealers, etc.
    Why would Hoosier Armory even submit your Form 4 if you hadn't paid the transfer fee? Were you waiting on approval to bring the can home to transfer it to another dealer to pay them for the transfer? On top of being a dick move, that's not how that works.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    Clearly.
    A Form 4 is a tax paid transfer from the dealer to you or you and another. A Form 3 is a tax exempt transfer between dealers, etc.
    Why would Hoosier Armory even submit your Form 4 if you hadn't paid the transfer fee? Were you waiting on approval to bring the can home to transfer it to another dealer to pay them for the transfer? On top of being a dick move, that's not how that works.
    Maybe you didn’t read the thread. I acknowledged that I didn’t and don’t still understand the whole process. I and the majority of the commenters felt they were dicking me so I didn’t feel to bad about dicking them. Thanks for the explanation. Sorry you couldn’t leave it at that and control your immaturity.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Maybe you didn’t read the thread. I acknowledged that I didn’t and don’t still understand the whole process. I and the majority of the commenters felt they were dicking me so I didn’t feel to bad about dicking them. Thanks for the explanation. Sorry you couldn’t leave it at that and control your immaturity.
    You posted on a public forum, expect replies, criticism, or questions.
    You didn't do your homework and got burned. I agree the transfer fee is exclusive. I was questioning if your wait had even started because if it were my business, I wouldn't start **** until you paid me. So you'd have been waiting an awful longtime. If they did start it (they'd be either dumb, generous, or just want to be done with you) and it was approved on a Form 4, it is not possible to ship the can to another dealer without canceling the Form 4. You'd then have to Form 3 to the new dealer, wait again for the 4, and pay all associated fees (shipping, transfer, etc).
    Maybe instead of getting butthurt everytime you see a comment that doesn't coddle your sack, you could try listening, god forbid learn something. It would likely help you avoid situations like this in the future.
    Or don't. I really don't have a stake.
    Fools and there money something something something.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I for one have learned a lot about transferring a silencer by reading this thread. One of my goals for 2022 is to get into the silencer game ... whew, it sure looks like a lot of work. Rewarding in the end, but a lot of up front work and a lot of down time before the reward.

I've also learned that when it comes to winning friends and influencing people, Dale Carnegie has nothing on US1882.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I for one have learned a lot about transferring a silencer by reading this thread. One of my goals for 2022 is to get into the silencer game ... whew, it sure looks like a lot of work. Rewarding in the end, but a lot of up front work and a lot of down time before the reward.

I've also learned that when it comes to winning friends and influencing people, Dale Carnegie has nothing on US1882.
    If you go to the right place, it is not hard at all. The shop will do most of the work for you.

I can't say anything to make you feel better about the downtime though. :):

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I might be able to clarify this situation! I went to Silencer Shop and found a can I wanted. I found the dealer with a Kiosk close to me. When i visited the dealer with the kiosk, I happened to talk to the owner for about 30 minutes.
    Here is the important part. He KINDLY asked me to go through their website to place my order for the can. He informed me that if I go DIRECTLY to Silencer Shop's website instead of going through the dealers website linked to Silencer Shops webpage, that they will not get credit from Silencer Shop for the sale. He informed me it was kind of a shady way Silencer Shop makes extra money instead of giving the dealer the money for the sale. I do know that the kiosk system is VERY expensive. I have heard like $8,000 to $10,000.
    With that being said, I kind of understand where Silencer Shop is coming from. They have done amazing things and spent lots of time making the ATF process easier and faster. BUT, since the dealer has to pay for the kiosk, they should get the commission for their investment, time, and storage for many months.
    I like doing business with honest brick and mortar stores as they also invest a lot of time helping the customer choose a suppressor and helping with the kiosk. I have found where I bought my last 2 suppressors that items out of stock at Silencer Shop my local brick and mortar shop did have in stock. No kiosk at this dealer but the prices where better and the paperwork is not really a big deal. They highlighted the forms where I needed to fil in along with the finger print cards. They also showed me some different cans and mounting systems. They are a pleasure to deal with and great people! If you are ever in Seymour check out ACME!

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    This is my first suppressor and there is a learning curve. I’m fortunate in that my job and position in life affords me the luxury of not worrying about money, but with that said I’m a tight ass. If everyone else said hay that’s the normal fee I would have paid it already. Seems to me that $150 is at least double what others have paid and I appreciate everyone’s contribution to the thread. But I have an issue with some anonymous keyboard warrior like him rattling uncalled for BS off on a message board that he would never say to me or anyone else face to face.
    I would say exactly that to your face. It was very perinet to the topic and indeed you did overreact!
    And yeah I'm well aware it's been awhile!

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Final resolution. Haven’t received my can, but received a text from Hoosier Armory in Noblesville about 30 mins ago. Reduced the fee to $100 so I stopped in and paid cash. I was waiting for approval to come in then was going to transfer it to M and J Firearms in Fortville for $40 and M and J was going to charge me $50 for the transfer so for $10 it obviously wasn’t worth the effort. As in their emails to me they still don’t think their original fee is excessive. I directed him to this thread so see some unbiased discussion. I’ve been in this store 10 times and have enjoyed each visit. Always nice people. We just had a disagreement. Positive is I was able to meet the fellow at M and J. Martin I believe, and he’s equally as friendly and knowledgeable. Have transferred a couple rifles through him in past 2 or 3 months.
    I see you have learned nothing.

Top Bottom