• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I've got a AR15 5.56 with a 10.5 inch barrel. I want a suppressor that I can shoot on this rifle where I won't go deaf without ear pro. I don't mind shooting subsonic but I don't always have some available. I also don't care how big the can is. I just want one that is the most effective for this setup. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    You pretty much will always need earpro when shooting supers 223/556 even with a can on. With a supressor a gun shot is around 185 decibels, while with is in the 140 db reange. Any sound over 140 decibels will give you permanent earing damage. Additionally the pain threshold starts at 120 decibels. But to each their own.

Silencerco Hybrid 46/46M gives around 128.9db in the long configuration
    Surefire RC2 is in the 137 db range with a 10 in barrel
    Dead Air Noamd-L is around 126 db with a 16" barrel (probably higher db with shorter barrel)

I know its not what your asking but if you want to shoot without ear pro, do it with 22lr or 300 blk subs.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You pretty much will always need earpro when shooting supers 223/556 even with a can on. With a supressor a gun shot is around 185 decibels, while with is in the 140 db reange. Any sound over 140 decibels will give you permanent earing damage. Additionally the pain threshold starts at 120 decibels. But to each their own.

Silencerco Hybrid 46/46M gives around 128.9db in the long configuration
    Surefire RC2 is in the 137 db range with a 10 in barrel
    Dead Air Noamd-L is around 126 db with a 16" barrel (probably higher db with shorter barrel)

I know its not what your asking but if you want to shoot without ear pro, do it with 22lr or 300 blk subs.
    Where are you getting your db numbers from?

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    The quietest 5.56 ar15 I've ever heard was a guys mk12 clone w/ an AEM5 and after a couple shots my ears went back on. I don't think what you want can be achieved especially with a 10.5".

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Give me links to raw data by independent guys using state of the art equipment such as a Pulse System that shows a 126db with a Nomad L on a 16" AR. Likewise same for the Hybrid.
    Manufacturer websites, YouTube videos with people using a decibel meter, spec sheets, forums, etc.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Subsonic .223/5.56 is both difficult to find and useless. Really any decent can on a 10.3/10.5 is going to be loud.

I run an RC2 on 10.3-14.5 ARs. The short barrels are noticeably louder, bordering on painful when outside without earpro. Inside; forget it. Better than being deaf for a few days, but you'll flinch and ring for a while.

If your only goal is quiet, .223 ain't it. If you want quieter, really can't go wrong with anything made in the past few years.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Or you can skip the adjustable gas block and all the other crap that people do and get an OSS can.
    Yes, there are people screaming that the numbers suck, blah, blah, blah...my can can kick your can's ass etc. What ever.

I have a Tavor SAR in 5.56 with a Gen 1 OSS can on it. The two videos in this folder speak for themselves:
    (These were filmed in the small range at Indy Trading Post when it was still open.)

I have offered, and a couple of members here on INGO have shot my Tavor with the OSS can. Both said it was excellent.
    The OSS sounds like a loud cap gun or a nail gun.

If you really want quiet...get a 300BLK. I have an OSS on my 300BLK pistol and I run both subs and supers together in the same magazine...no adjustments needed. EVER.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom