• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I wonder if the metric is by weight/dose or by dollar value. Quite often we pay high multiples of the price given by the same company to other countries for the same drug because they have national health care systems that have bargaining power in such negotiations. That would skew any measurement by dollars spent

The answer to that problem is to shut down their ability to recoup lost profits by just charging US customers more. Although some anti-gouging limitation for pricing, perhaps restricting US pricing to some small multiple of the lowest price offered else where, which failure to comply with would trigger the ability to use other countries as middle men as with the current grey market with Canada
    I assumed it was by volume\weight. If it was by dollars, we might slide toward parity a bit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Every time I'm at a pharmacy they are all humping, no sitting or playing on their phones. I do appreciate the efforts and let them know. Same goes for you. :rockwoot:

I'm fortunate to not require any prescriptions, so visiting a pharmacy is a real rarity for me.

They changed the science overnight and I was eligible for the booster, when I was too young the day before. :rolleyes: At 3:00 AM in the morning, I scheduled the jab for that day at Kroger on my phone. The health dept. was days, maybe weeks out on appointments. :dunno:

Kroger pharmacy had two folks working and they had no time to spare. They were busy, but very efficient. The tech at the counter was on her game and spoke to me earlier on the phone as a last minute occurrence had me pushing my time back.

Couldn't help but notice the sign placed where it had to be seen, right as you approached the pharmacy counter...

Attachments

• 20211120_165341.jpg
      20211120_165341.jpg
      28.1 KB · Views: 4

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'll be really blunt (and I did NOT read those articles, this is just a tangent), I don't think people would like what may happen to drug prices if we bring manufacturing back to the US. One thing I know for sure about PBMs, they aren't going to eat price increases, and the pharmacy cannot.
    I get so tired of this trope.

This is said everytime the subject of the US should manufacture more and import less. It has become apparent that our leadership should lead us to the betterment of our country, not the cheapest way to get imported s*** into our country. Alas, our corrupt leadership is vested in the status quo, rather than protecting our sovereignty…

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

This is said everytime the subject of the US should manufacture more and import less. It has become apparent that our leadership should lead us to the betterment of our country, not the cheapest way to get imported s*** into our country. Alas, our corrupt leadership is vested in the status quo, rather than protecting our sovereignty…
    I don't disagree with you...I'm just speaking to the margins and current reimbursement.

ETA: this is obviously specific to the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry. I know next to nothing about any other manufacturing sector.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I’d think this probably had more to do with intellectual property rights than anything, no?

Both chemicals were developed in the US, although the use of natural pyrethroids had been common knowledge for a long time, the first synthetic ones come from USA. Chlordane arrives about the same time, late 40s, as companies are looking around for less toxic replacements for DDT. Chlordane's biggest strength is also what spooked EPA, it's very persistent, which made it the king of termite control.

A project I worked on some years back required straight unadulterated Permethrin which I could not obtain in the USA. I had to work with importers and finally got some from Gharda Chemical in India.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I have wondered how much of Biden's BBB plan will be spent in California on infrastructure improvements to speed up imports. Money spent on rebuilding American manufacturing could produce similar results while employing more Americans in other states besides California.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Hear, hear!

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would say very few........

According to the Council on Foreign Relations, American companies have grown increasingly reliant upon pharmaceutical imports from China and India. As of March 2020, 80% of active pharmaceutical ingredients and 90% of generic medicines come from the two nations.
    It is utterly insane to be reliant on critical components from a country that is an adversary. And for those whose heads are buried too deep in the sand to recognize China as an adversary, good luck on digging yourself out. Shovels come from China too.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's not just businesses.

I've said something about people buying the cheap Chinese version of something, when there is a slightly more expensive American version available.
    I was told, "We're not all rich, like you."
    Many of those are now crying. Yet they can't connect the dots.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    We found out my wife has a heart problem 3 years ago. Now she takes 7 different drugs.
    I retired in 2009 after an on the job injury. I take a few vitamins, but no drugs.
    The drug store we use has 2 to 4 pharmacist and 2 to 4 clerks working during my visits.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    It's not just businesses.

I've said something about people buying the cheap Chinese version of something, when there is a slightly more expensive American version available.
    I was told, "We're not all rich, like you."
    Many of those are now crying. Yet they can't connect the dots.
    I am finding it next to impossible to find things that are not made in China, let alone made here in America. I tend to research the crap out of every purchase over $25, and started that process when the oze household iron bit the dust. It took hours, but I did find an iron made in Germany; nothing in the USA. The toaster crapped out a coupla months later, and that was equally difficult. I did find a made in the USA model, but it was an 8-slice commercial one for $250. Eventually found one made in England, but had to be careful to buy the more expensive model, since the next one down was "Assembled with pride in our English factories from internationally-sourced parts. I found a YouTube jockey who disassembled one, and found virtually all Chinese parts.

Last spring, it was a lawn mower. Toro? Cub Cadet? Nope all Chinese. Finally settled on a Honda HRX: way more mower than I need for my 5000 square feet of turf paradise, but the deck and engine are both made in North Carolina. Hurray.

Note: Be careful to note the officially-accepted US government definitions of "Made in...", "Assembled in..." and "Built in..."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    It really is a dichotomy when foreign cars are produced in the U.S. but the U.S. autos are produced in foreign countries. Add that one can import meds cheaper from another country, legally, so long as it meets certain criteria. One of which is the med cannot have been made in the U.S. and then reimported. Screwy. Rest assured somebody is making money from this dichotomy and it sure as hell isn't the consumer.

Top Bottom