• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Going to Florida in a month or so and need some sunscreen recommendations. Recently went on blood pressure meds and now I burn like a vampire in the sun.

I've been wearing a long sleeved sun shirt when doing yard work or when I'm lucky enough to go fishing, but don't want to embarrass my wife or friends by being "that guy".

So I'm looking for something that can deal with Florida sun, allow me to be in the water, and not reapply it every 15 minutes, and won't give me cancer. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    In a recent copy of Consumer Reports it tested many sunscreens and Walmart house brand in SPF 50 tested the most effective. And also best value at $4. per 8 oz. I actually looked at my local store and found a larger pump bottle for $12. I also take meds that will allow be to burn to a medium rare in just minutes. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I usually stick with the store brands myself as well.

Also, you mention "sun shirts", if you look at some of the "technical" or "tech" fishing, etc shirts, I find that they are made of a a great lightweight microfiber polyester that are designed to block UV, and dry out super quickly. Often anti bacterial and of course block UV very well. Great for hanging out on the beach in, etc and most have a fishing theme that should fit right in. No need to be "that guy" and still protected quite well and designed to get wet, and dry out, etc.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I also take medication and have a problem with the sun, mostly on my arms. I sweat a lot and I've found that Banana Boat spray stays on even after I sweat heavily. I often wear a light weight long sleeve shirt when out in the sun a lot. I also wear a cap with a "neck guard". I hate to say this, but being in the water a lot in Florida will probably show on your "medicated skin" no matter what sunscreen you use. I get small blisters all over my arms. I've read that if you slowly build up a tan that over time the skin problems will lessen. That also seems to apply to me. You might start with a lower SPF number sunscreen and start with short periods of sun exposure. When I first started the meds., I stayed out too long and got burned. The little blisters itched like crazy.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    In a recent copy of Consumer Reports it tested many sunscreens and Walmart house brand in SPF 50 tested the most effective. And also best value at $4. per 8 oz. I actually looked at my local store and found a larger pump bottle for $12. I also take meds that will allow be to burn to a medium rare in just minutes. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I usually stick with the store brands myself as well.

Also, you mention "sun shirts", if you look at some of the "technical" or "tech" fishing, etc shirts, I find that they are made of a a great lightweight microfiber polyester that are designed to block UV, and dry out super quickly. Often anti bacterial and of course block UV very well. Great for hanging out on the beach in, etc and most have a fishing theme that should fit right in. No need to be "that guy" and still protected quite well and designed to get wet, and dry out, etc.
    Those are what I've been wearing. They do a great job, but nothing gets around the fact that you are wearing long sleeves (and pants) when it is 90 with 97% humidity. UGH!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Get whatever waterproof SPF 50+ you can. Waterproof because of pools AND sweat.

Don't forget to hit the back of your knees and calves. Trust me.

Get moisturizing SPF lotion for your face. Re apply.

Get a big floppy dorky looking hat & sunglasses. Wear them both. Not only will the hat keep you cool, it'll help shade some quite sensitive areas of your body.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Thanks guts! Appreciate the suggestions. Been seeing a lot about chemical vs mineral sunscreens. Anything to the chemical bad, mineral good theme running around the interwebs or is it all/mostly hype?

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Get whatever waterproof SPF 50+ you can. Waterproof because of pools AND sweat.

Don't forget to hit the back of your knees and calves. Trust me.

Get moisturizing SPF lotion for your face. Re apply.

Get a big floppy dorky looking hat & sunglasses. Wear them both. Not only will the hat keep you cool, it'll help shade some quite sensitive areas of your body.
    Usually wear a bucket hat when outside for Amy length of time. Been doing that for quite some time. Gotta protect my shiny dome.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Usually wear a bucket hat when outside for Amy length of time. Been doing that for quite some time. Gotta protect my shiny dome.
    Agreed. I usually have a boonie hat on and definitely quality sunglasses.

Grew up in FL and got burned severely many times as a kid, and paying for it. Had to have some skin cancer carved from my face at about 9 years ago, and optometrist already noted the start of cataracts, both figure it's from early life sun exposure.

Now I definitely keep the hat, glasses, sunscreen and clothing covering as best I can and still enjoy the outdoors.

Top Bottom