• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    My long term eye doctor retired and am looking for a replacement optometrist/ophthalmologist in the Fort Wayne area. Any recommendations? I wear progressive lenses with some prism, so would appreciate hearing from similar wearers who are happy with their doctors.

Also, I’ve always used the doctor’s services to obtain frames and lenses, but has anyone had good results using alternative sources for progressive + prism frames/lenses such as Costco, Samsclub or others (either online or local)? Thanks for any help.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My long term eye doctor retired and am looking for a replacement optometrist/ophthalmologist in the Fort Wayne area. Any recommendations? I wear progressive lenses with some prism, so would appreciate hearing from similar wearers who are happy with their doctors.

Also, I’ve always used the doctor’s services to obtain frames and lenses, but has anyone had good results using alternative sources for progressive + prism frames/lenses such as Costco, Samsclub or others (either online or local)? Thanks for any help.
    Not sure on the prism aspect, but my wife and I both went to Costco last year for both their independent optometrist (has since changed to a new one at our Costco and I need to make an appt for regular exam). I did not need new glasses last year, but my wife did.

She has progressive lenses (may be prism as well, honestly not sure) and she got her glasses at Costco and was quite happy with them. They were much cheaper than going through the previous place we did where we did everything with the same provider. My wife had also done some online glasses fulfillment before as well which were fine, but seemed happier with the quality from Costco.

As sounds like you are aware, Costco can and will take a prescription from any optometrist including the one that is in their store (which are independent anyway from the eyeglass fulfillment).

I'll likely get new glasses there myself this year (I don't do progressive lenses as I couldn't make the jump to that) even if my prescription hasn't changed, I'd like to get a new pair.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Dr. Hogue in Leo is good.
    Took his prescription to Walmart two years ago and have used those daily since then.
    Usually I get frames from eBay and take the to Dr. Hogue for the lenses.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette

Not near Ft Wayne, but don't outright discount WalMart etc. Went to a "Professional" optometrist, nothing but eye-strain headaches. To Walmart because that's all I wanted to afford since I was out insurance coverage on the first pair, then tried another "Professional", again wasn't really happy. Finally back to Walmart, probably for good. This pair has been excellent. They really worked with me and gave me 3 prescriptions, daily progressive, computer glasses, and shop (up close).
    --Rick

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Opthomology Consultants, North and South Offices. I've used them for Years. I had Cataract Surgery last December, I couldn't be more pleased! My Eyes were Terrible since age 7, always had the Coke Bottle Lenses. Last 8-9 years I got my exam here ang got the Glasses at Cotsco, never any problems.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I recommend Midwest Eye Consultants in Wabash.

Maybe a bit further than you want to drive, but they don't freak out and do their best to help when I voice my concern about being able to maintain focus on the front sight.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not near Ft Wayne, but don't outright discount WalMart etc. Went to a "Professional" optometrist, nothing but eye-strain headaches. To Walmart because that's all I wanted to afford since I was out insurance coverage on the first pair, then tried another "Professional", again wasn't really happy. Finally back to Walmart, probably for good. This pair has been excellent. They really worked with me and gave me 3 prescriptions, daily progressive, computer glasses, and shop (up close).
    --Rick
    Agreed on purpose specific glasses. I have a pair of bi focals for normal every day use (near and far) as I could not handle progressives. I also have a mid distance computer specific pair to use as I am on a PC all day every day.

Top Bottom