• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good deal was looking around found that there is a 22lr conversion kit for the Mini 14. Not sure why but it’s out there.

The things you find when you have to go out of town for work.
    The biggest complaint about the minis is the lack of aftermarket parts and self-repair ability. Need to fix an AR? Just order a LPK or other parts from one of seemingly a thousand vendors and grab your tools. Need to repair a mini? Grab your credit card, get an RMA and send it in. :(

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Some good advice here so far. A couple points:

1. You mentioned SHTF. Ok, one thing I don't want is economy in that situation, economy sounds like "breaks right when I need it the most." I buy certain tools at harbor freight because I use them rarely. If I used them daily I would buy them from Snap-on. I have a couple cheap ARs for fun, but I have a really nice one that's my go to for gametime if I need it.

2. As mentioned above, parts pieces mags and ammo will be easy to pick up in AR platform.

3. Keep your rifle. Buy replacement parts- springs, pins, bcg etc. Buy mags and ammo, I've heard many failures are from mag issues. Then buy more mags and more ammo.

4. Pay to take some firearm classes, and keep in better physical health than those around you. I know some real hearty preppers that can't run a hundred yards.

I would fear a person that has only shot one gun for ten years more than someone that shot a few guns for several years, given their round count downrange was comparable. I just got a 22 out today that I haven't shot for over a year and it took about 20 rounds before I was back to totally comfortable with the platform.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Go AR-15 platform. Buy a reputable AR-15 lower, and several AR-15 uppers in Multiple calibers.
    5.56, 300blk, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39mm, 450 bushmaster.
    Just change the upper on the same lower to switch calibers as needed.
    Buy reputable optics and have it attached to a heavy duty, reputable mount to switch between uppers as needed.
    Also buy at least 24 AR-15 magazines for each caliber made specifically for each caliber.

After that all plans must be adjusted to fit the situation. Remember to pick up any firearms laying around for future use, trade or parts.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Your honor I took that shot at 400 yards so I'd have time to run away and not have to explain to a judge at all.
    Maybe "Your Honor, I heard shots fired on the county road in front of my property, and I saw a man with a rifle firing while advancing on a sheriff's deputy with only a pistol taking cover behind his patrol car."

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    Interesting thought experiment for those that don't think you'll have to engage past 100 yards: Google maps has a measurement feature. You get to 100 yards a lot quicker than you think when you start running scenarios. Walmart parking lot is about 0.1 miles, the short side of the blocks in town are 100 yards, etc.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I own an AR. I use to own a Winchester 94-30/30. I've never owned a 30-06, or 308.
    Honestly, my AR is plenty, extra mags/springs, yep. I would buy another 30-30 lever in a heartbeat.

If I found a bolt in 308, or had $ to spend, an M1-Garand would be fun.

When involved in a serious manhunt, my Police Chief had his Winchester 30-30 on reserve, and know how many are sold and used for hunting....lots!

The AR will be fine for my uses, no thanks for the AK. They have their following, I'm staying 556/223.
    Good luck.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    The only AR15 that wouldn't run for me was in 300bo. I have at least 2-3 in 762x39 and have had no major malfunctions. I have had some primers that didn't go off because of steel ammo (only on the Tulammo stuff). I have one from basically any company that makes them. BCA, Radical, PSA, Etc.
    What kind of issues do you face with the BA AR?

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Interesting thought experiment for those that don't think you'll have to engage past 100 yards: Google maps has a measurement feature. You get to 100 yards a lot quicker than you think when you start running scenarios. Walmart parking lot is about 0.1 miles, the short side of the blocks in town are 100 yards, etc.
    In a SHTF, the chance someone has a gun on them is pretty good. Most guns have decent accuracy at 100 yards. I am looking for a Caliber that gives me a little bit of an edge to move out of standard firing ranges while also being solid within that 100 yard range. I do agree though, 100 yards is a lot closer than most people think. When things start running, you are gonna want as much distance as you can get while also running a platform suitable to within 100 yard ranges.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Go AR-15 platform. Buy a reputable AR-15 lower, and several AR-15 uppers in Multiple calibers.
    5.56, 300blk, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39mm, 450 bushmaster.
    Just change the upper on the same lower to switch calibers as needed.
    Buy reputable optics and have it attached to a heavy duty, reputable mount to switch between uppers as needed.
    Also buy at least 24 AR-15 magazines for each caliber made specifically for each caliber.

After that all plans must be adjusted to fit the situation. Remember to pick up any firearms laying around for future use, trade or parts.
    Do you have an suggestions for preferred brands? Something reliable but inexpensive? Does not have to be pretty, just needs to be a workhorse

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    In a SHTF, the chance someone has a gun on them is pretty good. Most guns have decent accuracy at 100 yards. I am looking for a Caliber that gives me a little bit of an edge to move out of standard firing ranges while also being solid within that 100 yard range. I do agree though, 100 yards is a lot closer than most people think. When things start running, you are gonna want as much distance as you can get while also running a platform suitable to within 100 yard ranges.
    What kind of training do you have to hit armed moving targets 100 yards from you? How often do you practice to stay at the top of your game for such encounters?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do you have an suggestions for preferred brands? Something reliable but inexpensive? Does not have to be pretty, just needs to be a workhorse

There are many. Pay once, cry once, Centurion Arms, made right here in Indiana.

The Bargersville (was Morgantown) plant is now ready and open and nearing full capacity:

If you are unfamiliar with Corrie and Monty LeClair:

1685133338252.png

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    .223 and .308 will do anything that needs to be done in Indiana.

If the OP has a .223 and it is a bolt gun, simply buy an AR in 5.56. If the OP already had an AR then buy more ammo, mags, or whatever else you need for that gun. I would not worry about penetration or power, the AR will get it done for you.

I have made this comment before and will probably mention it again. If a person is worried about the state of the world and possible bad days ahead, I would own an AR in 5.56 and a double stack Glock in 9mm. Why? Because those are the most common magazines and most common cartridges.
    Most common is a double-edged sword in reality. If faced with a true scarcity situation, the most common stuff will be the hardest to find since you are now competing with many more people for the same resource.

Best bet is to stack ammo deep now and not worry about scavenging a half mag of popular ammo after a fight. If you are stocking up now, buy what you want.

Now, commonality might be good if you're joining together with an organized group and they would be a source of ammo.

Top Bottom