• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    IMHO, guns for SHTF would be a good .22 rifle, a AR in .223/5.56, a 12 gauge pump and a 9mm handgun of some flavor. Ammo is plentiful right now and getting cheaper. With those 4 guns you can feed and defend yourself and family.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am seeing quite a few suggestions for 350. I appreciate everyone's feedback and insight on the subject. When it comes to a brand with diversity in their swappable parts and quality yet affordable parts. Are there any suggestions?
    Bear Creek Arsenal. Alot of people crap on them, but for the money, they are hard to beat. I have several BCA barrels and uppers and they have all been solid.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Forget a rifle for close in home defense. Start shooting with a rifle in a house and chances are the rounds will go right through your house and into your next door neighbor’s house.

That said a short barrel 12ga shotgun with an open choke with appropriate shot shells like 00Buck or 04Buck would be devastating on an intruder threatening you and your family. Therefore I’d say get a Remington 870 or Mosberg 500/590 short barrel as stated and rest assured you have enough for close quarters self defense of your family and home.
    My :twocents::ar15:!!!
    According to a study I read recently, .223 tends to start tumbling when it encounters things like drywall and other building materials and penetrates less than 00 buckshot does.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the majority of individuals are missing my point. I HAVE a very expensive rifle in 5.56. I have my 5.56 decked out and am content with my build. I am asking for recommendations for something with a little more kick. I understand that a 5.56 may be suitable for most situations and the difference may not matter to the majority of individuals, but the gun personalities I follow as well as military service men I have spoken to think a caliber a step up from 5.56 would be a wise decision to own. Which is why I am looking for a quality budget gun in a larger caliber.
    This is an interesting question. Like the OP, my 5.56 needs are covered. When I wanted a heavier rifle, I went AR10 with a Sig 716i. I love that rifle, but it's a bit of a pig, weight wise. Add in a 24oz optic and a half dozen 20 round mags and you would be hefting around a good chunk of weight.

I have an AR pistol in .300BO with an 8.5" barrel and sometimes toy with picking up a 16" upper to run regular ammo to fit the desired heavier caliber. If the redcoats March on Concord again, I'm not sure which rifle I'd grab on my way out the door right now.

:dunno:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think the majority of individuals are missing my point. I HAVE a very expensive rifle in 5.56. I have my 5.56 decked out and am content with my build. I am asking for recommendations for something with a little more kick. I understand that a 5.56 may be suitable for most situations and the difference may not matter to the majority of individuals, but the gun personalities I follow as well as military service men I have spoken to think a caliber a step up from 5.56 would be a wise decision to own. Which is why I am looking for a quality budget gun in a larger caliber.
    Then probably skip x39 unless you want AKs, and go straight to 308.

Top Bottom