• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    In a SHTF, the chance someone has a gun on them is pretty good. Most guns have decent accuracy at 100 yards. I am looking for a Caliber that gives me a little bit of an edge to move out of standard firing ranges while also being solid within that 100 yard range. I do agree though, 100 yards is a lot closer than most people think. When things start running, you are gonna want as much distance as you can get while also running a platform suitable to within 100 yard ranges.
    So given your proposed scenario, How are you ensuring that if the stuff did hit the fan you are even positioned to survive? Many seem to focus on needing this that or the other flavor weapon. With out considering the basics.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I am looking to get a rifle for self defense in the event things go south. I own a .223 but I am looking for something that packs a little more of a punch while also being relatively budget friendly. My first thought was 7.62x39 but I am not overly interested in the AK format. The 300 blackout is similar in ballistics but fits the AR format better, which is my preference. My knowledge for firearms could be better, so I am wondering what people on this site would suggest. I am open to most platforms but prefer a good rail system for easy modifications. Caliber/gun suggestions?
    Try out a Galil ace, its a modern style AK in 7.62x39, 5.56, 5.45x39, or 308. There great guns and my all around rifle cal carbine.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    What kind of issues do you face with the BA AR?
    I couldn't get anything to cycle in it. This was when there were only a few varieties of 300bo on the market, in 2020. I tried both that I could get, sent back to the factory, and then sold to a LGS. I just didn't have the time or money to get it working, and 762x39 was readily available. I used the funds to build a BCA in 762x39.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have heard that 7.62X39 in AR platforms is fraught with issues. I do not know the specifics but I went to a gun store the other day looking for something like this and the staff recommended I stay away from that combination. They said they had to stop carrying that type of gun due to the returns being so high.
    I don't know if the issues with 7.62x39 are still extant but the early mags weren't completely reliable at full capacity. They also had some issues with the bolt heads breaking since the 7.62x39 case is larger than 5.56 and requires a significant amount of material to be removed in order to fit.

IMO, I'd go with .300 BO in the AR platform if I wanted something other than 5.56 or go with a rifle designed/better suited to 7.62x39 if that is your choice.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I think the majority of individuals are missing my point. I HAVE a very expensive rifle in 5.56. I have my 5.56 decked out and am content with my build. I am asking for recommendations for something with a little more kick. I understand that a 5.56 may be suitable for most situations and the difference may not matter to the majority of individuals, but the gun personalities I follow as well as military service men I have spoken to think a caliber a step up from 5.56 would be a wise decision to own. Which is why I am looking for a quality budget gun in a larger caliber.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I think the majority of individuals are missing my point. I HAVE a very expensive rifle in 5.56. I have my 5.56 decked out and am content with my build. I am asking for recommendations for something with a little more kick. I understand that a 5.56 may be suitable for most situations and the difference may not matter to the majority of individuals, but the gun personalities I follow as well as military service men I have spoken to think a caliber a step up from 5.56 would be a wise decision to own. Which is why I am looking for a quality budget gun in a larger caliber.
    I also want to apologize if I did not make my initial post clear on this fact.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Your initial post indicated that you are familiar with the AR platform. Get yourself an AR-10 variant in 308/7.62x51 if you want a big step up from 5.56. Common ammo, military caliber, familiar platform. Boom, done.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Your initial post indicated that you are familiar with the AR platform. Get yourself an AR-10 variant in 308/7.62x51 if you want a big step up from 5.56. Common ammo, military caliber, familiar platform. Boom, done.
    With the understanding that although as interchangeability goes, an AR-15 is an AR-15 is an AR-15, that is NOT the case in AR-10s. Not all designs are built the same so you cant always swap parts, uppers/lowers, etc.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I recently bought a .450 Bushmaster upper from Rock River Arms and really enjoy the ease and flexibility of a quick swap to "more kick". It's extremely simple to pop your 5.56 upper off, put a bigger bore upper on, swap mags (and possibly a buffer, depending on what you run) and you're good to go! Plus, just buying an upper keeps it budget friendly and ships directly to your door.

One caveat, mag capacity gets a bit limited with the larger rounds in the AR-15 platform, so @Route 45 's suggestion of 350 Legend is a good compromise for a bigger bore and still a bit higher mag capacity.

Last edited:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Have to agree. Have a lightweight 16" AR-10 "Recon" rifle paired with a 1-8 LPVO and SR-25 magazines. It pretty much is a Jack-of-all-Trades type of rifle. Can hunt, can hit a beaver sized target at 300 yards (absolute scientific measurement), can suppress vehicles, better barrier and obstacle penetration (turns filled core CMU into swiss cheese), and can take on any game in North America (even two legged kind*).

*There is body armor that can stop 308, but they would likely still be out of commission for a bit as getting hit with around 2,400 Ft-lbs of kinetic energy would not be a good time.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Forget a rifle for close in home defense. Start shooting with a rifle in a house and chances are the rounds will go right through your house and into your next door neighbor’s house.

That said a short barrel 12ga shotgun with an open choke with appropriate shot shells like 00Buck or 04Buck would be devastating on an intruder threatening you and your family. Therefore I’d say get a Remington 870 or Mosberg 500/590 short barrel as stated and rest assured you have enough for close quarters self defense of your family and home.
    My :twocents::ar15:!!!
    At the risk of "Denny"ing this, most rifle rounds would likely go through the wall. Non-monolithic high velocity lightweight rounds likely wouldn't. 55 grain or lighter weight 5.56 FMJs out of a 16" barrel or longer typically burst and fragment after going through a barrier. There is a spectrum here, and you don't want bullets that are in the center: enough energy that it penetrates, but not enough velocity where expansion or fragmentation occurs. Frangible rounds are another subject, as they will put holes in people, but will not go through walls, and is why a lot of SWAT teams use that ammo type.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I recently bought a .450 Bushmaster upper from Rock River Arms and really enjoy the ease and flexibility of a quick swap to "more kick". It's extremely simple to pop your 5.56 upper off, put a bigger bore upper on, swap mags (and possibly a buffer, depending on what you run) and you're good to go! Plus, just buying an upper keeps it budget friendly and ships directly to your door.

One caveat, mag capacity gets a bit limited with the larger rounds in the AR-15 platform, so @Route 45 's suggestion of 350 Legend is a good compromise for a bigger bore and still a bit higher mag capacity.
    I am seeing quite a few suggestions for 350. I appreciate everyone's feedback and insight on the subject. When it comes to a brand with diversity in their swappable parts and quality yet affordable parts. Are there any suggestions?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I feel I would be remiss to not mention that military use of 5.56 is not really all that comparable to civilian use. The military typically uses short barrels and are limited to FMJs. Civilian use with longer barrels and more importantly, better bullets, is itself a step up in performance from military 5.56.

However, I understand the desire for a more powerful cartridge and there are plenty of options ranging from the .300 BO up to .308 class cartridges. It is up to you to decide how much of an increase in performance you want or need. The .350 Legend, as others mentioned, is a good choice if you don't want to step all the way up to the power and size of the .308.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    If you want to keep things simple...keep your 556. Assuming it is 556 not 223.

If you want to make things complicated, sure, get an AK or FAL or M1A or something more fun.

Top Bottom