Suggestions for mis-feeding CMMG MKG 45acp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I guess I am just stuck on a buffer stamped "H" being 4.635oz. That is H2 range in AR-15 world.

Thanks sloppyjoe, I appreciate your offer. I'm gonna have to mull this around for a while to figure out where I want to go with this.

My buddy is digging out some extra parts for me now.

For reference, the buffer and spring diameter are smaller in S&W ARs...FWIW.

I’m definitely not qualified to solve any of the problems you’re experiencing and I’m also not trying to muddy the waters for you, but it is interesting that the buffer that ships in the Banshee 10mm is an H3 buffer and they also include both an ammo “power factor” chart and a lighter buffer (think it’s a standard AR-15 buffer) because of the variance in 10mm ammo.

I know that there are a lot of differences between 10mm and .45 ACP, so I’m not trying to imply that they’re the same, but rather that there seems to be a lot of thought and effort that they put into buffer weight for the 10mm Banshee, so I’m surprised that there isn’t any info out there for the .45. In fact, on the page for the .45 Banshee, there is no reference to the buffer at all. On the 10mm Banshee page, this is what it says:

Each 10mm BANSHEE comes with an H3 buffer and a 3.5oz tuning weight pre-installed in the carrier. A standard carbine buffer is also included in the box – ideal for those running lighter loads. For those planning to run the 10mm BANSHEE suppressed, check out our 8oz buffer (sold separately here) for additional tuning.

Again, not trying to complicate things any further, but just curious as to why there’s so much about the buffer for the 10mm and no info for the .45. Really hoping you eventually get things sorted out, but it’s crazy to me how things have gone on this long and CMMG hasn’t done more to resolve it.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I should have also added that the majority of my shooting was suppressed, so I agree with the professor that you should try a standard AR15 buffer and see what happens if you aren't running a can.

hasuchobe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2021
    Oregon
    Started an account just to post that I had the same issue and the photos look identical. My gun has already been sent back to CMMG twice. Hopefully third time's the charm. It seems like AR45 pistol as just getting off the ground and people didn't know what they were doing. Various gun manufacturers have run into the same problem on their platform. Here are two videos that outline the fix. New 45 acp BCG seem to already understand the problem.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    CMMG has returned my 45 Banshee, notes:
    Add action tuning kit medium weight (2oz) installed.
    Flex honed chamber.

I've not taken it out to test it yet, work travel getting in the way. Hopefully soon.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Update to this thread...

I have taken the MKG (aka Banshee) out several times since my last posting. I never did get anything worked out with the buffer.

The warmer loads are more reliable. I was almost to the point where I was building up some confidence in it. Saturday I had two Failure to Feeds. Maybe because it was dirty. I still have about 1000 warm loads I made for it.

So, maybe it will only take 4-5K rounds to get it broken in. Then it will really be something, maybe...someday.

Kind of interesting that this topic has 5000+ views. Seems like CMMG should have been more interested in solving the problem rather than blame it on the customer and magazines.

Oh well. Lots of people getting the opportunity to see someone else's experience. And apparently lots of misfeeding CMMG MKGs.

Thanks hasuchobe for posting the videos! Regrettably, the RDB system is a little different animal that a straight blow-back.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    CMMG has returned my 45 Banshee, notes:
    Add action tuning kit medium weight (2oz) installed.
    Flex honed chamber.

I've not taken it out to test it yet, work travel getting in the way. Hopefully soon.
    Update:
    Finally took her out Wednesday.
    Still doesn’t like Aquila, but PMC, WWB, Speer Gold Dot & HST all ran 100% suppressed and non suppressed.

Overall pretty happy now, looking forward to the next outing.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Been a long time since updating this thread.

A friend at the range found some info on the M4 Carbine forum that seemed like a potential solution to the feeding issue. He printed out the thread for me, but I can't seem to find it on-line. Anyway...

I addressed the problem by doing some grinding on the mag side of the feed ramp. It always had an edge sharp enough to cut through the plating on plated bullets. I removed the sharp edge a long time ago.

Last week, after getting tired of seeing it buried in the safe I got up the nerve to get out the Dremel. My intention was to round/bevel whatever edge was still remaining. I didn't grind a whole lot (easier to remove than put back, blah, blah, blah). Then polished it up with some Cratex rubberized abrasives.

Took it out and ran over 100 rounds through it problem-free using three different mags in various conditions of dirty. I only loaded 6 rounds in the mags so there were several third-to-the-end situations.

I'll try to post up some pictures after I clean it.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Took mine out again today, the 13-round mags ran without an issue.
    The SGM 26-rnds were a bit different: First 7 rounds, I'd get @ least 2-failure to feeds, then remaining mag would run fine, happened on both of my SGM mags, always on first 7 or 8 rounds.
    Went back to 13-rounders, no issues.
    Went ahead and loaded the 2-rounders up full, will let them set, planning on taking it to our Thanksgiving Trip home, we always have a range/farm day over that weekend, we'll see how she goes.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Finally had a day for cleaning with some decent sunshine for photos. I didn't think of doing a before/after set for the grinding. I am looking forward to getting it out again soon to continue testing, but my employer is making plans for me that will make that difficult in the near-term.

With the excellent lighting and magnification it looks like I could have done a better job feathering the right-hand side.

The area of concern is above the yellow "smiley":
    Feed Ramp.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Finally had a day for cleaning with some decent sunshine for photos. I didn't think of doing a before/after set for the grinding. I am looking forward to getting it out again soon to continue testing, but my employer is making plans for me that will make that difficult in the near-term.

With the excellent lighting and magnification it looks like I could have done a better job feathering the right-hand side.

The area of concern is above the yellow "smiley":
    View attachment 168201
    Excellent details. And as much as it may bother you that it's not a perfect looking job when you break it down to look at it, with all the trouble it has given you, I'd leave it now as long as it is working. Making it look better just might introduce another variable. Working in this case = perfect IMO.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Good point WS. I just hopes this helps other folks suffering with similar issues. There must be a few, this thread has over 7K views...crazy.

Thanks to you Mr. Unknown M4carbine.net guy!

Testing will continue, but if I never make it back here, assume all is well.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Update for my Banshee .45:
    After leaving the CMMG Tuned SGM 26-round mags loaded full for a few weeks, took the Banshee out yesterday.
    1st Mag: Couple jams (round stuck about 1/2 way into feedramp) in first 9-rounds, remaining were fine.
    2nd Mag: 100%, no issues.
    Reload of 1st Mag: 100%.
    Summary: Better, but I still don't trust them...Why did I stop there?

I'd read on another gun forum that SGM mags are very hit/miss with the Banshee, and another member recommended KCI mags, said they'd been 100% for them in their Banshee. Yet another member said they'd tried them on previous members recommendation, and they'd also had 100% success

Picked up 3ea. 26-round KCI mags, was worried, because they are cheap, and have iffy reviews overall as a mag manufacturer.

Summary of using them in yesterday's outing:
    100% on all 3-mags, shot hundreds of rounds, FMJ Factory, Copper-Coated Lead Reloads, HST HPs, quick fire, slow fire, etc..
    Suppressed and Un-Suppressed, not 1-issue on any of them.

No idea how they'll hold up over time/use, but for now, I'm a believer in them for my .45 Banshee.

JP Gringo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2022
    Winchester, Virginia
    Last August 2021 received my CMMG Banshee MkG 45ACP, 5" barrel. I have the same feeding issues as KJK is describing. The feeding issue happens around the 8th or 10th round in the Glock 21 (13 rd) mags. Next week or so I plan on taking the Banshee out and photo doc the feeding failures and do a round count of where in the 13 rd stack they occur. Another issue is that the bolt usually does not lock back after the last round fired.

So I am trying to Sherlock Holmes this between the buffer, magazines, feed ramp, or it is all a conspiracy and they are all in on it. Ruled out ammo since it has malfunctioned regardless what 230 gr ammo I run through it.

I did take out the buffer and weighed it... 3.3 oz. Contemplating maybe an heavier buffer but undecided until I get to the range a few more times to feel it out a bit more.

Plan on looking over the feed ramp area like KJK, to see if there are any rough edges buff them out if necessary.

I did write CMMG about a month ago and waiting for reply. Unfortunately right now I basically have a $1600 paperweight.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Last August 2021 received my CMMG Banshee MkG 45ACP, 5" barrel. I have the same feeding issues as KJK is describing. The feeding issue happens around the 8th or 10th round in the Glock 21 (13 rd) mags. Next week or so I plan on taking the Banshee out and photo doc the feeding failures and do a round count of where in the 13 rd stack they occur. Another issue is that the bolt usually does not lock back after the last round fired.

So I am trying to Sherlock Holmes this between the buffer, magazines, feed ramp, or it is all a conspiracy and they are all in on it. Ruled out ammo since it has malfunctioned regardless what 230 gr ammo I run through it.

I did take out the buffer and weighed it... 3.3 oz. Contemplating maybe an heavier buffer but undecided until I get to the range a few more times to feel it out a bit more.

Plan on looking over the feed ramp area like KJK, to see if there are any rough edges buff them out if necessary.

I did write CMMG about a month ago and waiting for reply. Unfortunately right now I basically have a $1600 paperweight.
    Sorry to hear about your issues. We ain't the only ones friend.

I screwed around with the buffer a little bit. No joy there. I screwed around with the feed-lips on the mags. I even made spacers that went in the bottom of the magazine to change the spring tension.

Nothing worked, not even the mods done by CMMG.

When I originally got my MKG the edge at the bottom of the feed ramp was so sharp that it was consistently cutting through the plating on plated bullets. I knocked the burr off with a jeweler's file but didn't do anything else. It should have been a major clue, but I didn't think of going back in and grinding off more of the edge.

The nose-down bullet-cut jams stopped at that point, but the nose-up bullet jams remained. There must be something close-toleranced in the function/timing/cartridge-bounce feeding process that you do not want to be on the short side of.

I too had a paperweight and figured Dremel work wouldn't make it less functional, so what the heck...

My Guard/MKG/Banshee has been 100% since the mod, well, sort of.... I recently tried some loads using Rainier projectiles. That didn't turn out so good. I was using Extreme bullets when I found success. I went back to the Extreme bullets and success returned. There is a slightly different profile between the two manufacturers. At this point I decided not to mess with it and just use up the Extreme 230grain projectiles with it.

Magtech and S&B 230gn have also been 100% since the mod.

Best of luck to you.

JP Gringo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2022
    Winchester, Virginia
    Here is a photo I took a week or so ago. I noticed a burr just below the feed ramp and a color blemish which I believe is a corner piece nicked off the lug. I believe the burr may be part of the problem more so than the nick in the lug.

I did take the MKG to the range today and no joy. After shooting with the OEM buffer for three rotations I swapped out to a heavier buffer but that made it worse. Switched back to the OEM buffer and the wheels fell off the wagon. All mags had feeding issues. Multiple failures per mag. I decided to stop before I got too frustrated.

OMG buffer is 3.3 oz and test buffer is 4.6 oz. My feed issues varied from magazine to magazine. I am only using three Glock 21, 13 round mags. each had feeding issues. Mag 1 and 2 had issues at round 2 and at round 10 or 11. Mag 3 went flawless in all three rotations. Only issue with mag3 was it did not lock back on last round in last rotation

Attachments

• EFFE0B20-15C1-469C-9175-F555D3FC926D_1_201_a.jpeg
      EFFE0B20-15C1-469C-9175-F555D3FC926D_1_201_a.jpeg
      445.3 KB · Views: 11
    • 004FF103-B911-4129-8D79-5EE64934357D.jpeg
      004FF103-B911-4129-8D79-5EE64934357D.jpeg
      392.6 KB · Views: 11

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Here is a photo I took a week or so ago. I noticed a burr just below the feed ramp and a color blemish which I believe is a corner piece nicked off the lug. I believe the burr may be part of the problem more so than the nick in the lug.

I did take the MKG to the range today and no joy. After shooting with the OEM buffer for three rotations I swapped out to a heavier buffer but that made it worse. Switched back to the OEM buffer and the wheels fell off the wagon. All mags had feeding issues. Multiple failures per mag. I decided to stop before I got too frustrated.

OMG buffer is 3.3 oz and test buffer is 4.6 oz. My feed issues varied from magazine to magazine. I am only using three Glock 21, 13 round mags. each had feeding issues. Mag 1 and 2 had issues at round 2 and at round 10 or 11. Mag 3 went flawless in all three rotations. Only issue with mag3 was it did not lock back on last round in last rotation
    Your nose-up failure is what I was consistently seeing with my misfeeds. I can honestly say it looks like I could have taken that picture.

I don't have any photos of it, but I also saw a weird burr develop on the the back of the extractor piece of the bolt. I filed off only the displaced metal and the problem leveled off and didn't return. I see from the photo yours does NOT share this problem.

My amateur .02? My belief is that based upon the angle the round is held at the top of the magazine, the nose of the presented round catches the bevel of the feed-ramp on the barrel extension. Originally, in my case, it would cut the plating and cause a nose-down jam. After removing the burr, the round didn't catch anymore, but instead bounced up and started the nose-up jamming. Removing some of the lead-in to the feed-ramp by beveling more of the barrel extension changed the initial contact point and bounce-angle of the in-feeding round. The round probably still bounces up, but the nose hits deeper and is deflected toward the chamber instead of the top of the receiver.

My experience with differently contoured bullets reconfirms this to me that this initial contact point is critical and has a close tolerance. A projectile with a more blunt nose (the Rainier bullets) seated to the same seating depth (OAL) as the 'pointier' X-treme reinforces my belief in this as well.

I would question if the deformation next to the M4-style feed-ramps in the receiver would really effect much. The barrel extension is not cut to utilize them and they wouldn't do anything for a 45 anyway. But, I would probably want it flat and not have protrusions or sharp points sticking out.

I don't know what to say about your locking lug... try to have CMMG replace your barrel extension? I also haven't had any issue with LRBHO.

I find it strange your OEM buffer is 3.3oz while mine is 4.6oz. Me thinks CMMG is still tinkering with this design. The now 9K views of this thread also leads me to believe there are more problems afoot.

I've written elsewhere about my experiences with CMMG. They can eat turds for all I care.

Top Bottom