• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    My parents want a handgun. My dad has never owned a handgun, just long guns, but has shot a few of my guns. He didn't care for my Glocks. Not so much that it was a Glock, but wasn't fond of how the semi-auto functions. He even was limp wristing my G19. He did very well shooting my light weight snub nose .38, but only when the hammer was back in single action. I guess I don't remember him shooting it much in double action. He also had a difficult time racking the slide on my Glock. I'm not even sure if he would carry it on his person. Maybe just in his vehicle for his ride up north, or on his night stand.

They will probably only buy one gun for the both of them to share. If my mom carries it, it would likely be in her purse(with a good holster of some sort). I know, purse carry isn't the greatest idea. So a SA/DA snub nose would probably work for my dad, but that hammer sticking up might catch on something in my mothers purse.

I know they have some sort of a budget, but any suggestions would help. I don't want him to go to a local shop and have one salesman talk him into something that isn't going to work for them. There probably isn't even a good answer to this, but thanks for trying to help.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Have them try a Ruger LCR 357. Load it with lighter 38 specials if recoil is an issue. The extra weight of the 357 model of the LCR (about 4 ounces heavier than the 38 special model, due to the steel frame used) helps tame recoil, especially when coupled with the factory tamer grip. No hammer to snag, and the cam system Ruger uses in the LCR trigger yields a much lighter pull than other revolvers.

The 22 models have a much heavier trigger due to heavier springs necessary to fire rimfire rounds reliably.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Someone I work with had suggested a Walther CCP, with a blowback system.

I was kind of curious about the Keltec PMR30. Anyone shoot one of these? Even a option?

A DAO .38 seems like the best option at the moment. Just want to have a few other avenues to look at.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Why would you think DAO ?? Why give up the option of single action ?
    Even more so since you say your dad does better with single action.
    I would give him the option of what's needed at the time of pointing a firearm at someone.

.personally I would never recommend a auto for someone older. It's much easier to use a revolver.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I love shooting a PMR30... Probably not a good choice for you dad. I find it odd he'd limp wrist a 19 and be ok shooting a lightweight 38 snub... Those things beat the snot out of your hand. The first thing I thought of recommending was a TP9, however that does't seem down your alley at all!;) However, if he shoots the 38 well in single action I think you will do him the biggest favor by helping him out with a gun that has a similar trigger. Something like a 1911 etc. The reason I recommend the TP9 is because it's trigger is fantastic, and it's super cheap, comes with a few mags and a holster.

I would go with the 38 if that's what he likes and just try to get him something that won't recoil too bad. These guys seem to have covered all of that pretty well. It seems like that's what he's leaning to though, he'll need to get what he wants. It'd be nice if he could try a few more things!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've always been a fan of...and have recommended this as a basic solid little revolver that just about everyone can handle...and that is the Ruger SP101 in either .38 or .357 magnum....I suggest a 3" in .357 magnum...increased accuracy and nice balance.

You can shoot .38 or .357 through it...it's accurate...it's rugged...there are a variety of grips you can choose for it...it is easy to conceal...you can install a tritium night sight so you can see where you're pointing it in low/no light shooting situations (Meprolights or XS Sights)...there are a large variety of holsters if they ever wish to carry it...etc.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've always been a fan of...and have recommended this as a basic solid little revolver that just about everyone can handle...and that is the Ruger SP101 in either .38 or .357 magnum....I suggest a 3" in .357 magnum...increased accuracy and nice balance.

You can shoot .38 or .357 through it...it's accurate...it's rugged...there are a variety of grips you can choose for it...it is easy to conceal...you can install a tritium night sight so you can see where you're pointing it in low/no light shooting situations (Meprolights or XS Sights)...there are a large variety of holsters if they ever wish to carry it...etc.

This-- SP101.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I would also suggest the Ruger LCR in .357 magnum. Enough weight to tame good defensive .38 loads, but light enough to carry without being cumbersome, especially in a purse. The DAO trigger on the LCR is very smooth, one of the best I've ever experienced in a small revolver.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Many un answered questions . Will he carry , how strong is he or she Why stick them with a light weight gun if it will be a house gun A 4' smith ,colt or rugger is a much easier gun to handle , a trigger job on any of them and it will be easy to shoot double action . I agree that semi autos can be hard to rack ,I am 78 and can rack the slide on most anything but a Desert Eagle . Don't just get them a gun that you can handle, take them out and have them shoot different ones.
    I
    do laugh when a .357 is mentioned for older people
    Just get them a handful of m-80's and let them light and throw them at the intruder about as useful as a .357 snub in old hands

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I suggested the .357 LCR for the bit of extra weight of the actual gun, while still being light enough to tote in a purse or pocket. Loaded with standard pressure .38 specials, the LCR .357 should be no problem for anyone capable of firing a handgun.

Top Bottom