• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Getting down to Florida is apparently next to impossible the week of Christmas, which was previously unknown to the wife and I. Nevertheless, after 20 hours of travel time we set up camp and the next day I had a hunt booked.

I used Mid-Florida Outfitters and had a great time. The guide was accommodating enough to allow my 7 year old to accompany the gator hunt.

We hunted a private rancher's cattle land for the gator. He's got tens of thousands of acres that are criss-crossed with drainage canals, which are prime habitat for all sorts of gators. We were on an ATV just crawling along the banks of the canals, looking for sunning Alligators. After having seen at least 4 to 5 that slipped in the canals before we could set up a shot, we approached one from the far side. He saw us and slipped in to the canal, but fortunately we crossed the canal farther away and saw him floating on the water. After approaching I was left with a 50 yard shot. The 6.5 grendel basically blasted half of his skull in pieces. Surprisingly the animals are incredibly tough. It took two more shots with a 22 mag to the head to finish him.

The rest of the afternoon we spent in a blind waiting for hogs. As sometimes happens, the animals weren't moving until just before dark. Because I didn't have the next day to hunt the guide worked with me and a thermal scope to find movement in some bush. Another 50 yard shot with the 6.5 grendel and the hog was down. It was a good sized sow.

All in all, I wound up with about 15 points of gator tail, 15 points of ground pork sausage, two small pork loins, and two shoulders. The pork is much leaner than the commercially available farm pork, but so far we've found to meat to be a much better quality than store bought stuff (we haven't actually eaten any of it, we're just going by smell/feel of the meat as we've been packing).

The only negative comment I'd have to make about the experience was the guide didn't really process the meat. I knew that going in to it, but bringing a 3 foot long gator tail back to camp and a skinned/boned/quartered hog was a hard sell to my wife. But having processed it at home we are both happy for the meat.

j79Nb9m.jpg

the ground sausage

r72EoNM.jpg

eD7fIas.jpg

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Update:

Gator was a little tough last night. Need to look for good ways to tenderize for future use. Taste was like chicken, as they say.

Hog is exceptionally good meat. Sausage seasoning is a little tangy, but that's my last minute Rural King purchase.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    How does the gator tags work in Florida? Over the counter?
    It's confusing. Basically:

A farmer has a year round depredation (not that name but like it here) permit. He gets a number of "Tags" for his property.
    You know that farmer (or your guide knows that farmer), and you register as a hunter/trapper ($60).
    You kill a gator on the farmer's ground and he gives you the tag.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Decatur
    It's confusing. Basically:

A farmer has a year round depredation (not that name but like it here) permit. He gets a number of "Tags" for his property.
    You know that farmer (or your guide knows that farmer), and you register as a hunter/trapper ($60).
    You kill a gator on the farmer's ground and he gives you the tag.
    Sounds kinda like the "Landowner Tags" out west in Colorado/New Mexico. If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge for a gator hunt?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I used Mid Florida Outfitters and paid $1,500 for the combo hunt. It was expensive, but for the experience I think it was worth it.
    It was a little hands off for me to be honest. They cater mostly to novice tourists I think. All I really had to do was walk up to the rifle and pull the trigger. I would have preferred to be more involved. But, it really wasn't possible given my time constraints. I really only had half a day for both hunts. So, I'd recommend if you're planning a FL trip.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I‘d bet putting that gator tail in a brine for a day or so will do it a lot of good if its tough, and/or cook it low and slow.

If you don’t have a smoker, bring a bit of the brined meat to the south side, I’ll supply the beer!

Ace Hardware had a brine with their seasonings I’ll try next, otherwise, there’s a smoker shop called The BBQ Maestros near Beech Grove that have some good brines (or make your own).

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I used Mid Florida Outfitters and paid $1,500 for the combo hunt. It was expensive, but for the experience I think it was worth it.
    It was a little hands off for me to be honest. They cater mostly to novice tourists I think. All I really had to do was walk up to the rifle and pull the trigger. I would have preferred to be more involved. But, it really wasn't possible given my time constraints. I really only had half a day for both hunts. So, I'd recommend if you're planning a FL trip.
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. There are not many hunts you you can do for $1,500, especially guided and on private land. A hog hunt alone can easily cost that much in some places and gator hunts are frequently considerably more.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. There are not many hunts you you can do for $1,500, especially guided and on private land. A hog hunt alone can easily cost that much in some places and gator hunts are frequently considerably more.
    Yeah. Looking at basically all the Texas outfitters, you're looking at close to $1,000 to step in the door. I've found most of the central FL outfitters to be much more reasonable. This one in particular was a great time.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That whole area down there use to be owned by a Mormon fellow. My father in law use to lease 1000 acres across the road from his house to hunt on. There are still large tracts of land down there that are still in the same family.

I was born into the wrong family...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I saw an episode of Swamp people where they wrapped a small (maybe 3') gator in bacon and smoked it whole. Looked like they were taking meat off of all of it.
    There are a couple DeerMeatforDinner videos on butchering alligators on YT. It looks like most of the meat is in the tail and yield is a little less than I would have expected. Apparently it is critical to remove all fat from the meat so that reduces yield a bit more.

Top Bottom