• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I'm working up some subsonic loads for 10mm Auto, and wonder if anyone in the forum has had experience with this. I have loaded plenty of 10mm, just not subsonic. For my first batch I have used Starline brass, CCI 300 LPP, 5.0 and 5.2 gr of Universal, and Speer 200 grain TMJ pills. Unfortunately Speer doesn't make this bullet anymore. I found this box at the 1500 a few years ago ($16 for 100 bullets), and the guy was trying to get me to buy the second box…. wish I had.

I thought about trying the Xtreme 220 grain plated bullet, but will probably stick to 200 grain because I get eventually get Hornady 200 grain XTP's to load to similar velocities. I typically use Accurate #9 for 10mm, and assume it would be fine to use a minimum load to get the velocity down, but I know there can be issues with downloading really slow powders.

My goal is to keep the round subsonic, maybe around 1000 fps, out of a 8.5" barrel with a can.

Mabooali

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2022
    Sterling, Ba
    Hi, I have same issue reloading sub-sonic rounds for 10mm auto to use with can. My normal loads don’t work well with cans. I use 12.8 to 13 gn AA#9 which has bee. Giving me good results but not with a suppressor. I haven’t made any Sun-Sonics and am trying to gather some info on how to make some.

Any info that you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.

5” barrel 10mm 1911
    With can on, barrel would be greater than 8” I suppose.

Regards,

Masood

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Is unique a fast powder? 1100 ft/Sec speed still considered subsonic.
    The Sierra data shown above is listed in relative "burn rate" from fastest to slowest. I guess you could call it a fastish medium rate!!
    Google "powder burn rate chart" to see where it rates compared to other pistol powders.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Didn't know you could use Clay's for the 10mm. It's down to 900 fps. That's about the power of a 9mm 124gr bullet. I wonder if you'd need to reduce recoil spring weight to get it to function properly?
    Yea that's crawling for a 10mm load, but I still wouldn't voluntarily step in front of one !!

Top Bottom