• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In Tippecanoe Circuit Court this week there is a criminal trial taking place on the African-American mopedist who had his throat ripped out by a police dog.

The State is not prosecuting the officer that directed the dog against a man sitting on a moped but they are prosecuting the mopedist.

In refusing to prosecute the Lafayette police officer the Special Prosecutor stated that police are allowed to act that was because of qualified immunity, they are the police and we must not question them. She admitted that they sicced a dog on a man merely sitting on a moped but it was not "clearly established" that they could not do so. It was an outrage and still is.

This is wrong and must stop. We can only stop this madness of prosecutors hiding behind the language of qualified immunity by abolishing QI. The police cannot be placed above the people.

Last edited:

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    Now we are on to statutory immunity? Couldn't defend the made up nonsense of QI?

The Supreme Court made up qualified immunity in 1967 to protect the South, the very target of the 1871 Civil Rights Act. Qualified immunity has become an "absolute shield" as per Kisela (2018).

Qualified immunity is directly contrary to the original intent of the Fourteenth Amendment and the 1871 Civil Rights Act which allowed African-Americans to sue the South back to the Constitution. Eliminate QI and allow victims to sue the police is the best police reform we can implement.

Killing someone is not per se a crime. There are many types of homicide. One has always been allowed to use deadly force to prevent death or sbi or prevent a forcible felony since time immemorial. Qualified immunity was just made up on the spot because they Supreme Court could see what direction Mississippi, inter alia, was headed if African-Americans were allowed their rights under the 1871 Civil Rights Act.

You've already admitted that you are mixing terms.
    Under common law, one has not always been allowed to use deadly force. Not every state in the U.S. has a specific statute allowing for deadly force even now; however, many of the states have created such states allowing for the use of deadly force under specific sets of circumstances, otherwise the killing is a murder or manslaughter. An execution is a homicide as it is a death caused by another, but it isn't murder if it is allowed under law. An execution not authorized by law is a lynching and is not covered by any form of immunity.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Abolishing QI would simple restore us back to Monroe v. Pape were rogue police could be held responsible for their crimes civilly and people would not have to rely on a Prosecutor who will 9 times out of 10 make excuses for police, and judicial misconduct.

Innocent police will have nothing to fear.

Monroe v. Pape:

Here’s an example I faced on the Federal side. I responded to an incident where Federal Inmate A tried stabbing inmate B. Inmate B took knife away and beat inmate A to a bloody pulp. i got there and with another staff stopped it with no force (1 was dazed and confused bleeding on the floor and 2 simply said he was done now fights not with and placed inmate A and B in cuffs.

3 years later I’m served by a Deputy Marshal for a Federal Lawsuit. inmate A wants 100K from me and the other officer, 25K from the LT. Despite the after action that they do sending all video up through region and clearing our actions all the way up a Federal Judge signed the Papers to get served.

I have to request for an Assistant US Attorney to act as my defense attorney through the regional office.

No foul play no injuries by anybody in a uniform The person suing us started the altercation with another and yet here I am looking at court. Had QI or scope of employment or been there wouldn’t I have been hit to cover it myself?

You have those frivolous cases all the time from folks mad about an arrest so to me QI has its place that people don’t read about. If a Cop is bad they should be fired AFTER due process like anyone else

And meaning no disrespect when an Attorney tells me not to worry I should worry!

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Tipp. Co. Is the center of the galaxy kinda place for a Payton Place kind of “police community“ corruption. Has been for over 70 years. It’s common knowledge in surrounding counties.

Kirk, keep the pressure on. It helps the whole state. Just my :twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Officer had just ran for Vermillion County Sherrif but lost. Jim.

Rodney's here in Tippecanoe County. Maybe we can have them join forces and form Team Super Immunity!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Rodney's here in Tippecanoe County. Maybe we can have them join forces and form Team Super Immunity!

Gun examined? How about head examined.

If everything is known article sure is sketchy on details

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    SVHS! I was a wildcat. That's the most drama I ever remember happening there but I led a fairly protected childhood. Downrange here on ingo may have a different version of life at svhs. :-)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    In Tippecanoe Circuit Court this week there is a criminal trial taking place on the African-American mopedist who had his throat ripped out by a police dog.

The State is not prosecuting the officer that directed the dog against a man sitting on a moped but they are prosecuting the mopedist.

In refusing to prosecute the Lafayette police officer the Special Prosecutor stated that police are allowed to act that was because of qualified immunity, they are the police and we must not question them. She admitted that they sicced a dog on a man merely sitting on a moped but it was not "clearly established" that they could not do so. It was an outrage and still is.

This is wrong and must stop. We can only stop this madness of prosecutors hiding behind the language of qualified immunity by abolishing QI. The police cannot be placed above the people.
    Isn't QI contingent on the reasonable officer standard? Seems like the problem isn't QI, it's the special prosecutor making a lunatic judgment that somehow any reasonable officer would have turned the dog loose when they had 3-to-1 manpower advantage.

Super messed up story. Sounds lucky to be alive. Thought police dogs were generally trained to latch on to limbs.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Isn't QI contingent on the reasonable officer standard? Seems like the problem isn't QI, it's the special prosecutor making a lunatic judgment that somehow any reasonable officer would have turned the dog loose when they had 3-to-1 manpower advantage.

Super messed up story. Sounds lucky to be alive. Thought police dogs were generally trained to latch on to limbs.
    I do not understand and cannot explain the reasoning of the special prosecutor.

Reactions: Ark

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I like to armchair quarterback stuff. Sometimes systemic failure happens. Every unsafe shooting I have been involved with could have been avoided if the fundamentals were applied.

I was a 1SG at Ft. Sill and was appointed to help investigate this one.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I like to armchair quarterback stuff. Sometimes systemic failure happens. Every unsafe shooting I have been involved with could have been avoided if the fundamentals were applied.

I was a 1SG at Ft. Sill and was appointed to help investigate this one.

Going to assume that they were loading inert rounds and not blanks. Maybe I could see missing that. Unless the inert rounds are painted to show they are not live.

Top Bottom