Stuck in your vehicle. What you should have.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It's not just what you have, you must know how to use it. Anybody can carry stuff to survive, but without practicing with your stuff during a non-emergency, that's all it is ... stuff. It is especially important to practice with your stuff during inclement weather. Not everybody finds themselves in a survival situation when the weather is warm and sunny.

not saying this isn‘t sound advice…… but I would rather have a BUNCH of stuff I don’t know how to use…. And figure it out. rather than have nothing and do nothing.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Friday night late, actually Saturday morning, the winds brought drifting roads and highways. The interstate got clogged, and a lot of County roads couldn't get plowed. Was about 10 miles from home. Driving around the mess was an Olympic sport.

I ended up at a local hotel, but it wasn't over yet.
    The hotel parking lot was empty beside 2 cars. Mine and desk clerk. She insisted they were no vacancies. I asked her how could that be? There is nobody here! She rechecked her computer and found a room. Note on room: Limited heating, under repair.

I asked her to show me the room, and she found 2 small electric heaters. I turned them on, within minutes was warm there. Bottom line was I was up over 22 hours, beat up, and tired.

When checking out, found my bill adjusted to show 15% discount, so was pleased. Also had breakfast waffles, coffee, and grabbed a banana and an apple for the road.
    My car had 2 different BOB's, sleeping bag, water and supplies.
    Glad i wasn't among the "others who roughed it stuck on the highway". The roads were opened by 1:30pm yesterday.
    Please don't go out in your sweats, light jacket, no hat or gloves, begging to get sick or worse in that kind of weather. Prepare for worst scenario, you might live through it.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I have a bag I'm putting together for my car truck that would let me stay alive in 3 seasons. Winter's a little tougher but if I add some wool blankets I think I'd be okay.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I actually got stuck in my vehicle overnight in a snowstorm in middle Tennessee. I was literally returning to Indiana after teaching a weekend wilderness survival class, so my onboard equipment was fairly extensive. "Surviving" the night was simply an exercise in warding off boredom!

Top Bottom