Stuck in your vehicle. What you should have.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And rather than a wool blanket that takes up lots of space, mylar blankets are great. Just dont but the super cheap ones.

I keep a half dozen in the car and its not much bigger than 2 packs of cards.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And rather than a wool blanket that takes up lots of space, mylar blankets are great. Just dont but the super cheap ones.

I keep a half dozen in the car and its not much bigger than 2 packs of cards.

Space blankets are a great idea!

Wool blankets are not very thick, like a big fluffy blanket. I keep a couple in each vehicle year round. They do dual duty covering stuff up in the trunk, back seats and floorboards. I call them "invisibility blankets" as they are grey and blend well with dark grey and black vehicle interiors.

Stuff disappears when covered with the blankets. A lot less worry about gawkers and theft. It's especially helpful when opening hatchback to load in groceries or what have you. Nicely "disappears" go bag or discreet case or anything else that might appear valuable.

I buy the cheap 70% wool blankets. $25ish is something that could get destroyed or left behind without a lot of worry. Out away from the cities, we are just as likely, or maybe more likely, to need to assist/treat/comfort someone else stranded or crashed along the roadway.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    The trucking industry has a pretty comprehensive winter survival checklist but of course they have more storage space. The likelihood of a trucker getting stuck/stranded is probably a little greater but the principles are the same.

Extra winter clothes - socks, coats, gloves, scarves, boots
    Extra warmer gear - blankets, hand warmers, maybe an arctic sleeping bag
    Non-perishables - bottled water, granola, jerky, that kind of stuff
    Fluids - oil, antifreeze, de-icer

Window scraper, camp shovel, Ice melt or sand or cat litter

If you're prepared to self-rescue, winch and/or recovery straps

Some advocate carrying candles and matches for heat and light but I'm personally leery of this solution, a little inattentiveness and you're trapped in a burning vehicle.

Never let your fuel gauge get below half during the winter so you have enough fuel to idle as necessary to stave off hypothermia.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Space blankets are a great idea!

Wool blankets are not very thick, like a big fluffy blanket. I keep a couple in each vehicle year round. They do dual duty covering stuff up in the trunk, back seats and floorboards. I call them "invisibility blankets" as they are grey and blend well with dark grey and black vehicle interiors.

Stuff disappears when covered with the blankets. A lot less worry about gawkers and theft. It's especially helpful when opening hatchback to load in groceries or what have you. Nicely "disappears" go bag or discreet case or anything else that might appear valuable.

I buy the cheap 70% wool blankets. $25ish is something that could get destroyed or left behind without a lot of worry. Out away from the cities, we are just as likely, or maybe more likely, to need to assist/treat/comfort someone else stranded or crashed along the roadway.
    And the great thing is if you stop to help at an accident scene and need one for a victim, You're out a buck or two and dont have to hesitate leaving the blanket.

Also, it sounds crazy, but those things make good insulation too. I have two octagonal wedding cake style recessed lighting amenities in my upstairs. (recessed pockets for chandeliers to go in) They werent insulated AT ALL and I was getting an insane amount of heat through the drywall. I could only pile about 3" of blown insulation on the stacks without touching the rafters because they are so close to the roof deck. That helped a little. Since most of the issue was due to radiant heat off the roof deck, I spread one of these over each stack. Problem went away because the mylar was able to reflect most of that radiant heat back at the roof.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I drive a jeep wrangler, so please keep in mind my available space is very limited, but I'll also say I've got little to no worries about being stuck for 24 hours in my vehicle.

Under the backseat, I have a folding e-tool, 26" axe, and folding bow saw. Those tools will get me by in any situation I can dream up. I could quickly come up with firewood from fallen trees on the side of the road.

I keep two of these blankets in the back of my jeep and everyone who borrows it ends up buying their own. These also double as shooting mats as the one side has been waterproof in my experience while the other is warm fleece. I love these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021079232?pid=898719

Other than that I keep some cooking equipment in my vehicle. I keep a large UCO folding stainless grill that packs up not much thicker than an 8.5x11 pad of paper. This has been used many times and works like a charm. Amazon product ASIN B01HZF9FMG
    In addition to the grill is my pathfinder bushpot. I keep it in the back and use it often to scoop chicken feed before leaving for work. https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/stainless-steel-bush-pot-lid-set-64oz

Between the tools to gather firewood, a large pouch of fatwood and every kind of fire making supply, grill and bushpot to heat up water or boil some critter into a stew and awesome blankets to keep me nice and warm I really wouldn't have much excuse to not survive an incident like this. Nevermind that I've lived out of my vehicle before and it's just a simple routine for me to do these things.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    It's not just what you have, you must know how to use it. Anybody can carry stuff to survive, but without practicing with your stuff during a non-emergency, that's all it is ... stuff. It is especially important to practice with your stuff during inclement weather. Not everybody finds themselves in a survival situation when the weather is warm and sunny.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It's not just what you have, you must know how to use it. Anybody can carry stuff to survive, but without practicing with your stuff during a non-emergency, that's all it is ... stuff. It is especially important to practice with your stuff during inclement weather. Not everybody finds themselves in a survival situation when the weather is warm and sunny.
    Hmmmmm. Interesting Concept.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Don’t wrap yourself in Mylar, you will wake up with hypothermia. It retains all your body moisture along with the heat. Use it to insulate the vehicle windows. Tape it up, cut to fit and tape some more. Cuts way down on heat loss.

I keep 2 wiggys blankets in a compression sack ALONG with a wiggys FRS bag which is already compressed in its stuff sack. Place under you a mil spec casualty blanket or two to act as a thermal break between you and the seat, floor, whatever you are sitting or laying on. It will also reflect heat back to you.

I always have a wiggys pillow in my vehicle. Another cushion I’m liking is the inflatable one made by Klymit (spelling). I keep two deflated and in my gear. I’m talking stadium seat cushion size. I bought them 3 years ago, they do introductory deals at times with them.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I keep a small BOB in the vehicle that includes extra socks, sweat pants, hoodie sweatshirt, gloves, etc.
    It also includes a queen-sized wool blanket, flashlight and extra batteries, a few protein bars, 4 quart-sized water bottles, candles, lighter, a roll of paper towels (can be used a toilet paper, etc.), and a 6' x 10' plastic tarp to wrap loosely around or over the wool blanket to aid in heat retention or as a rain cover.
    Nuthin' fancy...but sufficient to survive for (roughly) 72 hours...

Gritch

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Portage

I keep a couple of these in my car. Never had any water freeze of the winter.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a get home bag. When I remember to put it in car I am covered.
    I have 5 family cars and I normally drive one and normally it is in it or in the office.

some water a few cliff bars. Socks gloves hat rain jacket and pants lighter times two. Just your normal stuff. I could survive a good 72 hours with whats in it in a sheltered car. I remember my car camping days we had a candle you put wicks in. Looked like a small bucket of wax. That thing would heat a large car by itself. Was always told by those in upstate New York to have a few candle in the car.

Top Bottom