• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Im in the market for one of these, I think. I want to stay around $200-250. It is going on a 16" flat top AR15. I just have never used a red dot and dont know the difference between 4moa and 2moa dots. Also I see they come with 2x doublers, can a magnifier go behind them? What would the magnification be? 6x? Id like a cqb sight but also be able to make 300+ yard shots too. Maybe it would be easier to stop by your shop. :D

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The larger the number, the larger the dot. The larger the dot, the less accurate it will be. That's all I've got.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    To be right honest Im not certain if it would be possibable to run a 3x magnifier behind the 2x magnifier or not. Ive never tried and I cant really imagine it would be a good sight picture.

On dot size, A 1moa dot will cover a 1 inch circle at 100 yards. So a 2 moa dot will be a 2 inch circle at 100 yards and a 4 moa dot will cover a 4 inch circle at 100 yards. If you want the ability to make 300 yard shots I would personally go with the SPARC. At 300 yards the dot will cover a 6 inch circle area. The strikefire would cover a 12 inch area at that range so basically the sparc will be much easier to take a precise aiming point than the strikefire.

Your welcome to stop by and look your options over if your in the area or feel like making a trip

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ok I think I understand the dot difference is now. Would it just make more sence to have say a 3-9x scope and a reflex sight angled to the side? Ive seen it done but Im not sure how accurate Id be with a sideways AR. Kinda like holding a glock sideways :n00b:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ok I think I understand the dot difference is now. Would it just make more sence to have say a 3-9x scope and a reflex sight angled to the side? Ive seen it done but Im not sure how accurate Id be with a sideways AR. Kinda like holding a glock sideways :n00b:

Ive had reflex's at a 45, and mounted on top of the scope. On top of the scope was a major fail. On the 45 it was better, but still not my cup of tee.

The best option for you in my opion with respect to your price range would be

price is 179
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 1.75-5x32 Dead-Hold BDC.

Its defintally not as fast as a dot, but its capable of close range shooting, and its not as good as a 3-9 @ 300 yards but its capable of both.

Alot will depend on percentages of shots taken at each range.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ok thanks for the input. Ill take a look at that. In reality Ill put most of my rounds at 50 -100 yds but will be stretching out to 300+. Thats why I was thinking a red dot with a magnifier on a swing away mount. Ill keep my optins open and may make a trip out to you in the next few weeks. I cant seem to locate your shop address online and your website seems to have a glitch or something. All I can view are binoculars.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You can use a magnifier, just not with the 2x coupler, since it would get too complex having dual parallax (you don't hear of people putting magnifiers behind scopes unless they are 1x). Plus the coupler is really not that good on the Strikefire, it is more if a freebie. I suspect the Sparc has better glass based on its cost. The Strikefire is really inexpensive, so if you can spend more then do so.

When it comes to any scopes, do your research, but basically spend as much as you can, especially if this will be your primary scope.

If you want something disposable while you save up for an Aimpoint or Eotech, then Strikefire is the way to go. Personally, I'd stick with irons if that were the case, but the Strikefire seems to have this niche all wrapped up.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ok thanks for the input. Ill take a look at that. In reality Ill put most of my rounds at 50 -100 yds but will be stretching out to 300+. Thats why I was thinking a red dot with a magnifier on a swing away mount. Ill keep my optins open and may make a trip out to you in the next few weeks. I cant seem to locate your shop address online and your website seems to have a glitch or something. All I can view are binoculars.

My website is not up and running yet. shoot me a email when you get ready to come and ill get you some directions.

A reddot with a magnifier would well for you, but as netsecurity said the freebie that comes with the dot isnt the best one. The red dot with magnifier will break your budget, so the above is the next best option.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ok. Thanks all for the info. I guess Ill weigh my options until Im ready to buy. It wont be till next month anyway. I will shoot you an email for directions. Thanks again.

Top Bottom