• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    For real though, what we have here is basically a revenge killing. Shooter isn't really under immediate ongoing threat, he can walk away, but his head hurts and the other guy is mouthing off and he says "screw it" and wastes the guy. It's not very sober or prudent, and the law frowns on it even though my INTENSE distaste of these knockout thugs would probably motivate me to acquit anyway.

But I think a huge part of "F around and find out" as a moral concept is the realization that other people don't care about the law and the law won't save you. When your murderer is convicted, you don't come back to life! So respect the law of the jungle and don't F around.

GranolaFacility

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2022
    Westfield
    Oof. It goes against everything I've told myself I would do in that situation, but if I were on the jury...If it was truly random, and there was no history between the two, I think I would hang it. Still, better to just present to the ready and back your way out of there. Of course, I doubt assault is taken that seriously. There seems to be very little justice left in the world.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    For real though, what we have here is basically a revenge killing. Shooter isn't really under immediate ongoing threat, he can walk away, but his head hurts and the other guy is mouthing off and he says "screw it" and wastes the guy. It's not very sober or prudent, and the law frowns on it even though my INTENSE distaste of these knockout thugs would probably motivate me to acquit anyway.

But I think a huge part of "F around and find out" as a moral concept is the realization that other people don't care about the law and the law won't save you. When your murderer is convicted, you don't come back to life! So respect the law of the jungle and don't F around.
    Exactly. This is why there are so many shootings in the "inner city." When the system seems to make it impossible to take care of business through acceptable means, people do it other ways. It's not a good thing, but in a law of the jungle sense? Unfortunately, I get it. I see people in public mouthing off at other people. Some folks just have no idea how close they are to getting iced, every single day. Every one of us is alive simply because nobody wants us dead badly enough. It is wise to live accordingly.

Is simply being a boring person really that bad?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    As others have stated. One less criminal roaming the streets of Chicago.
    I hope they never find the shooter, or if they do he gets acquitted.

Hopefully others playing the knockout game learn a lesson here.......
    I know they won't, they're not that smart.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

I'm with ark here. Guy could have clearly walked away and they would have mostly likely let him since they were showing aggression at the time of shooting. He was half out the door and then popped him.

Where as I'm happy a criminal is dead I don't think I can call this a good shoot.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm with ark here. Guy could have clearly walked away and they would have mostly likely let him since they were showing aggression at the time of shooting. He was half out the door and then popped him.

Where as I'm happy a criminal is dead I don't think I can call this a good shoot.
    It's not a "good shoot" as we normally consider it from a legal perspective. It's a "good shoot" from the FAFO one less thug destroying society perspective.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It's not a "good shoot" as we normally consider it from a legal perspective. It's a "good shoot" from the FAFO one less thug destroying society perspective.
    Exactly. Law, morality, and reality are a Venn diagram and do not always overlap with each other. Unlawful and immortal things happen in reality. The lawful and moral thing isn't always realistic. Etc.

Reality is that if you push someone's buttons in the right combination, you might get shot. Law and morality may assert themselves later, when you're too dead to notice.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    More to come from Illinois. How did the last point make it in there?
    View attachment 222714
    And then we will watch the chief of police/mayor whining because no one will assist law enforcement to catch the bad guys. No **** sherlock. They can beat you to within an inch of your life and not be detained to do it again?? I don't know why people wouldn't come forward. It's a damn mystery. ****ing morons.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Seems to me like there's a good chance if the shooter gets caught that he won't be detained because it would probably be deemed "2nd degree murder" at the MOST.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Wait is this real or a joke to get people all fired up?

Also if real that means unprovoked at random a person could shoot a guy in the face and the cops wouldn't take them to jail?
    I expect that wouldn't1be considered "2nd degree murder" but "1st degree murder" - unless the did it under the influence of drugs . . . at least, according to that chart.

Top Bottom