• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Probably a long shot, but the collective knowledge of INGO has surprised me before, so here we go. What are the requirements for spacing of a street sign from the traveled portion of a city street?
    Is there a required set back from the pavement? If so what is it and what ordinance or regulation references it?

Back story an acquaintance, no not me, was recently driving down a local residential street and struck a street sign with their mirror. This sign has it's pole set in the pavement outside of the curb with the
    sign, obviously, protruding even further into the path of traffic. Do they have any recourse against the city for damages to their vehicle?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Hoo-boy, doesn't that p.... you off.
    Tagged for forthcoming answers. My guess is the city won't pay.

I know in the eighties I got a ticket for parking my Sportster on the sidewalk right up next to Nick's and now these electric scooters are lying everywhere with no penalty. Unrelated story but I certainly understand the frustration.

Reactions: Leo

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    Go to the InDOT website and look for the Highway Standards Drawings. It's probably in there. If you aren't sure, send me a PM and I'll look tomorrow.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Hoo-boy, doesn't that p.... you off.
    Tagged for forthcoming answers. My guess is the city won't pay.

I know in the eighties I got a ticket for parking my Sportster on the sidewalk right up next to Nick's and now these electric scooters are lying everywhere with no penalty. Unrelated story but I certainly understand the frustration.
    My guess is that they won't pay voluntarily. Civil suites with INDOT regulations and pictures of concrete filled buckets holding stop signs 3 feet out into the street as evidence just might change their perspective on the matter. Lawyers get expensive quickly. Especially when you're paying for yours and the plaintiff's.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    In another lifetime, I did sign work with my brother's sign company. While I don't remember exactly what the rule was, there are ordinances and such that specify how far back from the roadway signage must be in order to provide for clear line-of-sight for vehicles entering and exiting the roadway from a cross street. That might be your best bet.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    No anseer for the op, but I was in a neighborhood on my way to the job site the other day and the stop sign for our lane was about 8 feet off the road and the road took a bend to the left. There was a tall pine tree kind of in front of the sign as you are coming down the road. Only about when you are about to pass it do you see it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It'll probably be treated like a pothole incident; if it hasn't been reported as a problem it's not considered a valid claim. If it has been reported then, well, pay attention as they still won't pay it.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Stop sign height is 7ft to the bottom of the sign, 10ft to the bottom of the street name bracket. Post for either is minimum 2ft off the edge of the road.

Last edited:

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Probably a long shot, but the collective knowledge of INGO has surprised me before, so here we go. What are the requirements for spacing of a street sign from the traveled portion of a city street?
    Is there a required set back from the pavement? If so what is it and what ordinance or regulation references it?

Back story an acquaintance, no not me, was recently driving down a local residential street and struck a street sign with their mirror. This sign has it's pole set in the pavement outside of the curb with the
    sign, obviously, protruding even further into the path of traffic. Do they have any recourse against the city for damages to their vehicle?
    All I can say and I mean no disrespect but seriously why is this anyway a fault outside of operator error.
    pay attention regardless.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    All I can say and I mean no disrespect but seriously why is this anyway a fault outside of operator error.
    pay attention regardless.
    No disrespect taken. I wasn't there when this happened, but the sentiment is there just the same. The point is there are regulations for street construction for a reason. If the driver had hit a pot hole caused by poor maintenance or shoddy construction and damaged their vehicle should they have just paid more attention? The principle is the same. The roads should be built and maintained to some minimum safe standard. When you're driving a fairly large vehicle down a narrow residential street, you can only be so far from the curb before you're in the other lane no matter how much attention you pay.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No disrespect taken. I wasn't there when this happened, but the sentiment is there just the same. The point is there are regulations for street construction for a reason. If the driver had hit a pot hole caused by poor maintenance or shoddy construction and damaged their vehicle should they have just paid more attention? The principle is the same. The roads should be built and maintained to some minimum safe standard. When you're driving a fairly large vehicle down a narrow residential street, you can only be so far from the curb before you're in the other lane no matter how much attention you pay.
    Oh please knw I understand and to a point agree.

Heres my thing. If there are or is "A" car parked along the street. You or whom ever is driving along and you clip the mirror on that car. Who is actually at fault here. In all honesty.
    1st thing I taught my kids when they learned to drive. Know where you are and whats around you. Mainly the "whats around you" part. Will the car fit through there. If not why.

Thats just how I was taught and passed on to others.

No, the sign should not have been out there possibly.

Yes we are responsible for our car and where we point it.

This does not equate to a pot hole basically. A pot hole can and does sneak up on you if it is under the car/truck in front of you. Not so much a sign standing 7' tall.

JMHO and take it for what its worth. My opinion and $1.50 might get you a small cup of coffee.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh please knw I understand and to a point agree.

Heres my thing. If there are or is "A" car parked along the street. You or whom ever is driving along and you clip the mirror on that car. Who is actually at fault here. In all honesty.
    1st thing I taught my kids when they learned to drive. Know where you are and whats around you. Mainly the "whats around you" part. Will the car fit through there. If not why. And if you are facing traffic when attempting to drive around something you have to stop. Until that traffic is clear. We do this all the time on the side streets cutting through the area since the city butt heads shut down Georgetown road by the speedway. So we are forced into the side streets full of parked cars.

Thats just how I was taught and passed on to others.

No, the sign should not have been out there possibly.

Yes we are responsible for our car and where we point it.

This does not equate to a pot hole basically. A pot hole can and does sneak up on you if it is under the car/truck in front of you. Not so much a sign standing 7' tall.

JMHO and take it for what its worth. My opinion and $1.50 might get you a small cup of coffee.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Here you go, this is the most recent one I could find.

You want page 2A-11 second image down on the left side left side. Also page 2A-13 near the bottom on to 2A-14 lists mounting heights in writing.
    Nice. OP should identify the type of intersection, shoot some photos and compare to those regs. If in clear violation and fully documented, that seems like a reasonable shot in small claims court to my non-lawyer brain. But first, a call with that information to the street department of the city in question could potentially yield a straightforward out-of-court claim. Practices on that kind of thing differ by city.

Sure seems nutty for this person to have busted a mirror on a street sign, specifically, unless they were driving an RV or something.

I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on the internet. But it's sometimes impressive what a simple, polite call with all your ducks in a row can accomplish.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Note: Be sure that the municipality doesn't also have rules/regulations for their own street signage.

Despite being a former INDOT employee, I'm not sure if the INDOT signage requirements cover more than what INDOT is responsible for or not (State, US, and Interstate Highways basically)

Top Bottom