• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We had a bumper crop of strawberries this year, most of which we ate, but I decided to try making wine with some of them. The gardener is partial to sweet wines so extra sugar went into the primary fermentation. It's sweet and flavorful, but strong. We had some with lunch and it put both of us to sleep in short order.:)

Attachments

• stwine.jpg
      stwine.jpg
      312.7 KB · Views: 14

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We had a bumper crop of strawberries this year, most of which we ate, but I decided to try making wine with some of them. The gardener is partial to sweet wines so extra sugar went into the primary fermentation. It's sweet and flavorful, but strong. We had some with lunch and it put both of us to sleep in short order.:)

While definitely not a fan of sweet wines, I've always admired folks that made their own.

Some of my older uncles enjoyed doing blackberry wines....always let us try it out when the aunts were not around....liked it better then than now.

Very cool.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I always make my black berry and raspberry wine on the drier side, then I back sweeten to my liking, bottle half, and back sweeten some more for other people who like sweet wines.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I always make my black berry and raspberry wine on the drier side, then I back sweeten to my liking, bottle half, and back sweeten some more for other people who like sweet wines.

I learned what I know about wine making from folks in Dubois county. It's pretty popular around there.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I learned what I know about wine making from folks in Dubois county. It's pretty popular around there.
    I went to a friend's wedding down in Jasper several years ago. His Mom brought some wine to the reception and asked us to guess what kind. I failed...it was beet wine. Really good if you like sweet wines.

My first wine I made was from concord grapes. The next year I did a strawberry wine. I even did a batch of strawberry wine using brown sugar during fermentation. Result was good, more of a "richer" sweetness in the finished wine.

My favorite was a black raspberry wine from wild fruit. I think I still have a couple bottles of that, wonder how it has aged...

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I learned a lot of what I know from my uncle, who learned it from my Grandpa before he passed away. He grew his own grapes and made a 55 gallon barrel every year. Now that he has passed on I look to carry it on one day, just haven't made a 55 gallon batch yet. We do still have the grape vineyard though.

Top Bottom