• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I concur. I think this is the thread for an analogy video that I've wanted to post for awhile. Many may have seen it. Click on the Watch on YouTube part of the blacked out video.

I unsubscribed to Active Self Protection on YouTube after the host claimed this wasn't self defense. Granted the laws in NY are screwy but this is the same outcome. I think the DA had some manslaughter charges and high bail then dropped them within a few days.

The video comments are probably a solid 90% it was justified. I will say a pocket clipped little cylinder of the POM pepper spray advertised on the channel would've been very handy in this situation prior to the knife defense.

Correia can be a jackass. That wasn’t remotely NOT a self defense situation.
    As to the instant video, doesn’t look as cut and dried.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My first thought when I read the title was that it must have been an immigrant store owner. I've seen a lot of these videos where bad guys try to take on an immigrant owned store only to have a whole family pour out of the backroom and take out the bad guy.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Not sure the owner is going to be ok

Cruising the Youtube and saw a video with a more before and after footage. Store employee asked them why they were wearing masks, the bad guy stole some change off the counter, and they were asked to leave twice. Employee had his right hand on the knife knowing there might be trouble due to their odd behaviors and masks.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think if they weren't wearing ski masks that guy would be in jail. Did himself no favors with the interview and the Instagram BS.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know and don't care enough to research the laws for Nevada, but I think he's fine in Indiana. Full video shows he doesn't intervene when it's just a theft, stays calm, tells them to 'just take it'. He doesn't react until the guy hops the counter. Hopping the counter = entering an area generally inaccessible to the public. In this case, a space that is occupied. That takes it from a theft to a strong arm robbery. A reasonable person would be placed in fear by a masked intruder entering there space that is not generally accessible to the public, and I *think* the courts have decided that it's also an implied threat of force but can't recall for sure so maybe I'm wrong on that part. Regardless, I can't see even the worst prosecutor in Mario...Indiana prosecuting the guy and can't see a jury convicting if they tried. I *think* he'd be shielded from a civil suit in Indiana as well, but I'm not sure about the business. Civil isn't my strong suit, and businesses even less so.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I concur. I think this is the thread for an analogy video that I've wanted to post for awhile. Many may have seen it. Click on the Watch on YouTube part of the blacked out video.

I unsubscribed to Active Self Protection on YouTube after the host claimed this wasn't self defense. Granted the laws in NY are screwy but this is the same outcome. I think the DA had some manslaughter charges and high bail then dropped them within a few days.

The video comments are probably a solid 90% it was justified. I will say a pocket clipped little cylinder of the POM pepper spray advertised on the channel would've been very handy in this situation prior to the knife defense.

In New York you do not have the right to self defense.

It is a criminal friendly state.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cruising the Youtube and saw a video with a more before and after footage. Store employee asked them why they were wearing masks, the bad guy stole some change off the counter, and they were asked to leave twice. Employee had his right hand on the knife knowing there might be trouble due to their odd behaviors and masks.

Wow!!!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

First I saw this vid. I just responded that he was wrong, and un-subbed as well.

John was 100% wrong. He wasn't thinking like a person who is needing to protect himself.
    He was thinking like a lawyer.
    Specifically, a very liberal prosecutor.
    This is how we ended up with all these asinine laws where assaulting a man 30 years your senior isn't a felony.
    Being cornered, then manhandled by a much younger man would easily create the fear that your life is in danger, and create justification for the use of deadly force...
    Besides, does anyone with a brain really think it's optimal (or even slightly effective) to deploy a chemical spray inside a confined area like that where you're just gonna end up sliming yourself as well?
    The old guy probably already has breathing problems anyhow...

"Come on man..."

Now the guy in the new vid... he might be in for a hard time in court. He held the thief back who had changed his mind and was trying to beat feet. LOL.
    IMHO, he deserved it... (and, I'd probably have done the same) but legally, that could cause him some problems with those liberal prosecutors I mentioned John thinking like...

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    I'd heard that the attacker survived, though I don't recall where I heard that. I think it was a YT video. In the OP's video, not the bodega worker video.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    First I saw this vid. I just responded that he was wrong, and un-subbed as well.

John was 100% wrong. He wasn't thinking like a person who is needing to protect himself.
    He was thinking like a lawyer.
    Specifically, a very liberal prosecutor.
    This is how we ended up with all these asinine laws where assaulting a man 30 years your senior isn't a felony.
    Being cornered, then manhandled by a much younger man would easily create the fear that your life is in danger, and create justification for the use of deadly force...
    Besides, does anyone with a brain really think it's optimal (or even slightly effective) to deploy a chemical spray inside a confined area like that where you're just gonna end up sliming yourself as well?
    The old guy probably already has breathing problems anyhow...

"Come on man..."

Now the guy in the new vid... he might be in for a hard time in court. He held the thief back who had changed his mind and was trying to beat feet. LOL.
    IMHO, he deserved it... (and, I'd probably have done the same) but legally, that could cause him some problems with those liberal prosecutors I mentioned John thinking like...
    Also there's more before and after on the new vid I posted in #27 which adds more of a defense for the employee.

I saw another which showed him calling 911 afterwards and he even calmly gives an interview, obviously a bad idea.

News station had a security "expert" give his opinion...if you watch that part closely you'll notice a selective cut right before he says "at the end of the day just let them take it". So appears like a hit piece. Shocker!! :rolleyes: I'll post both below.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have no problem with this and would vote to acquit. They're robbing the place and as far as I'm concerned you are morally clear to shoot them once it's established that this is a robbery. If the guy comes over the counter during a robbery, that's just more threat icing on the cake. If the robbers don't have weapons, well, that's a "them" problem. We don't seem to put robbers in prison and keep them there anymore, so I'm all for on-the-spot voting them off the island.

That said I don't write Nevada law and I expect the forces of the state to go after this person with a vengeance far in excess of that they would apply to a robber who did the same to him.

Top Bottom