Stop Using Online payments for classified ads!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    Lately, we have been watching for hacked accounts. I will be posting new ad guidelines soon, Never PayPal someone money with a contact a phone call or text first from a local number. If the deal is too good to be true then it is. And these deals posted by scammers are. Also, if you think you have a good deal, then the member should be an option as you verify info. I or a mod can happily check the acct for any possible issues.

keep in mind first and foremost this is a community and the seller should be happy to give up info to complete a deal. A scammer will not. Stay tuned for new guidelines.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think making a rule for a photo of the product/username/date/time would be helpful.
    Online payment is sometimes people’s only option for distances too far to drive.
    Probably safer to use USPS money orders. At least they give you recourse if the deal goes south. Plus, if the seller gives you a P.O. Box as a mailing address, that would be another red flag. With PayPal, they could literally be anywhere in the world.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    I think making a rule for a photo of the product/username/date/time would be helpful.
    Online payment is sometimes people’s only option for distances too far to drive.
    I agree, for now though have us check the accounts as I place in steps to hopefully deal with this.

You have to protect yourself at all times, and you can place a call/text to the person, etc. Any good member wanting to sell will verify what you need.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I recommend checking as much as possible. Basic checking is pretty easy and does not take long.

I had sent a guy a money order and it seemed like the guy disappeared the day after I sent it. Google maps had shown his house out in a remote rural area. I started just searching his name and found that he was part of the list of surviving relatives in his fathers death a couple towns away. Four days pass and he emails me apologizing that he was hung up at his fathers funeral and away from his computer a few days. It worked out ok.

I have also looked at a purchase from I guy whose name I knew from a shooting match. As I checked, something seemed amiss. I called a friend that also knew the name of the seller, who got in touch with the named person. It turned out that he did not have a shotgun for sale and had no knowledge of the place the guy said he lived. I confronted the number from the ad and immediately the phone number was disconnected. Saved me a bunch of money.

My wife gets scammed fairly often, luckily only $10 or so dollars at a time. A toy for the grandkids or some house decoration. She just thinks all women are like the ladies group at church.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Please excuse my noob-osity, but how the heck is one supposed to pay, if not online? I don't want to drive all the way to to Fort Wayne, or Valparaiso in order to meet up to buy/sell a gun, and have to either bring a large pile of cash, or drive home with a large pile of cash. If we meet in a public place, both agree to complete the transaction, what is wrong with Paypal, Venmo, or Zelle transaction to complete the deal? Both parties can verify payment sent/received before ever getting up from the table. I've been selling high-dollar camera equipment like that for years. I've never had a problem. What gives?

About 10 years ago, I sold a motorcycle on Craigslist. The buyer came to my house. We agreed on a final price. He handed me an envelope containing 85 $100 bills. THAT was uncomfortable. I'd much rather have had an $8500 Zelle payment. Safer for everyone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Please excuse my noob-osity, but how the heck is one supposed to pay, if not online? I don't want to drive all the way to to Fort Wayne, or Valparaiso in order to meet up to buy/sell a gun, and have to either bring a large pile of cash, or drive home with a large pile of cash. If we meet in a public place, both agree to complete the transaction, what is wrong with Paypal, Venmo, or Zelle transaction to complete the deal. Both parties can verify payment sent/received before ever getting up from the table. I've been selling high-dollar camera equipment like that for years. I've never had a problem. What gives?
    I think it applies more to deals that aren't FTF. Like someone promising to ship something once payment is received. That said, cash is king for FTF. If it's gun related, PayPal will freeze your account if they find out. Not sure of Venmo's or Zelle's policies. Just not something I would trust.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think it applies more to deals that aren't FTF. Like someone promising to ship something once payment is received. That said, cash is king for FTF. If it's gun related, PayPal will freeze your account if they find out. Not sure of Venmo's or Zelle's policies. Just not something I would trust.
    ^^This!!^^ It's always something like a high-end optic at a really good price. Beware the "no FTF" in conjunction with a deal too good to be true.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI

Paypal owns Venmo. I'm banned from both.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Zelle sends money directly from your bank account to someone else’s. Unless you tell them what it’s for, or they hack your email or text messages, I don’t see any way they can know why you sent the money.

Top Bottom