• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We are currently at 5. My wife is going to ask the health aid at the school she works at. If she confirms, we will have two openings left.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey gents, if you would PM me your real name so I can have a list for the class, that would be great. We are at 6 at this point, so still room for a couple more!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    All, the class as of now has the maximum of 8 people attending. It should be a good class.

Lesley Myers will be teaching the class. She is a 22 year veteran of the ED department. A RN and for the past 9 years has been working with Trauma Services teaching injury prevention and doing outreach.

See you all there!

I have everyone's first and last name except for eyecarry.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We are all accounted for and the class is full.

I'm throwing this out there for all of you that my wife and I plan on staying after the class to have a beverage. Part of the beauty of this class is how little time it takes so I understand if you folks need to bleed (or stop bleeding) and run, but you are welcome to join us.

This is unless our mayor shuts everything down between now and then.

I did invite the instructor but I'm not sure if she will stick around or not. She has kids and it is Sunday.

I have never been to Switch Yard Brewery, but I heard they have good beer. You folks that are not from around here; fair warning; the liberalness is in plain view in our great little town!:)

Doesn't really bother me. I just go about my life and know my vote doesn't count.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So how was the class? Couldn't make it because of work but would love to come to one of these in the future if the opportunity arises.

I think it was good. Lesley has been with Stop the Bleed since almost the beginning and her background is in ER/trauma nursing so she has seen a lot, included a lot of gunshot victims.

Though our instructor did take a few minutes to give us her background, the information provided over the approximately 1 hour course was pertinent info in my opinion. Very little "fill". She not only covered the three ways to stop life threatening bleeding but she also covered:

Different types of tourniquets and why to buy quality ones
    How to handle multiple people/injuries
    How to decide who to treat first
    How to decide how to build your med kit
    Some of the psychology of treating people with extreme injuries-pain, prioritization, etc.
    Where to buy supplies for your med kit

It was interesting to hear that, according to her, they were working on this program before Sandy Hook, but it was Sandy Hook that really accelerated the organization. They saw first hand people dying because there was not enough people/expertise to stop the bleeding and a lot of the fatalities were preventable deaths.

Thanks to all of you who commited and came. Good small group and good questions were asked. We had a full class of 8 and a few of us stayed after with the instructor and her husband and ended up having dinner there.

I am going to work with the sportsman club I belong to organizing some classes after the first of the year. Lesley said that she is willing to come to the club (Martinsville) and teach classes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm going to talk to my Conservation Club in Martinsville about hosting one after the first of the year. I'll resurrect this thread if it goes silent by then.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Some have asked about other Stop the Bleed classes. Martinsville Conservation Club is hosting trainer Bob Whaley this year with several classes. I have lined up a Stop the Bleed trainer at the May Pistol 1 class so far.

I have tentatively lined up a trainer for the other classes.

The STB will be a one hour segment of the class, probably 3 PM of the first day. There is no extra charge for this. Actually, by having the class you save sending some rounds downrange, so it's a savings for you! Until you go an purchase your trauma kit, lol.

Let me know if you have questions or just head over to the MCC site and register for the classes.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom