• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I thought about putting this in the "knives" forum since the subject is about bleeding but I picked this one.:)

After I took a defensive class this summer, I have been wanting to take the Stop the Bleed class but I missed what appears to be the last one for awhile a couple weeks ago in Greenwood.

However, I found someone here in Bloomington that is willing to teach the class in November. She would like to have more than just me though and I can understand that.

So, I'm reaching out to our community to see if anyone has any interest in attending a class sometime next month. Normally there is no charge for this and if there is one, I doubt it would be much. If she does provide it at no-charge, I'd like to think of doing something for her since she's donating her time though.

The class is 1-2 hours long and covers just 3 areas to stop bleeding: pressure, pack and tourniquet. Training that can probably been done via the interwebs but I like the idea of having live training from a pro.

Here is the website for Stop the Bleed so you can check out the course. https://www.stopthebleed.org/

Let me know your thoughts and interest!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I thought about putting this in the "knives" forum since the subject is about bleeding but I picked this one.:)

After I took a defensive class this summer, I have been wanting to take the Stop the Bleed class but I missed what appears to be the last one for awhile a couple weeks ago in Greenwood.

However, I found someone here in Bloomington that is willing to teach the class in November. She would like to have more than just me though and I can understand that.

So, I'm reaching out to our community to see if anyone has any interest in attending a class sometime next month. Normally there is no charge for this and if there is one, I doubt it would be much. If she does provide it at no-charge, I'd like to think of doing something for her since she's donating her time though.

The class is 1-2 hours long and covers just 3 areas to stop bleeding: pressure, pack and tourniquet. Training that can probably been done via the interwebs but I like the idea of having live training from a pro.

Here is the website for Stop the Bleed so you can check out the course. https://www.stopthebleed.org/

Let me know your thoughts and interest!

I missed the October class in Greenwood as well. Had to cancel my registration the week before due to work. I'd be interested in attending with you, and am on vacation from Nov 16 - 20 even. If you get more interested parties, I may have some STB gear (cat5 TQ, compression bandage) we can use for INGO door prizes! Let me know.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Great RR! I have a few more details:

Class capped at 8, counting RR we are at 4.

Class is no charge

Class is 1.5 hours to allow for covid cleaning between students interacting with the teaching aids(equipment)

Class will be held in the conference room at Switchyard Brewery in downtown Bloomington. I'm open for a beer afterwards!

The instructor is a 22 year veteran of ED nursing with the last 9 years also working with Trauma Services teaching.

She can hold the class during weekdays, nights or even on the weekend as long as she can schedule around her kids activities. I'm better the weekend with a weekday evening after 5 PM second. Days would be out for me for the most part, though the class isn't long so I could do a "lunch" class. But then no beer.:( Coffee would have to do.

I'll get a date since it looks like we have enough to make it worth her while.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Great RR! I have a few more details:

Class capped at 8, counting RR we are at 4.

Class is no charge

Class is 1.5 hours to allow for covid cleaning between students interacting with the teaching aids(equipment)

Class will be held in the conference room at Switchyard Brewery in downtown Bloomington. I'm open for a beer afterwards!

The instructor is a 22 year veteran of ED nursing with the last 9 years also working with Trauma Services teaching.

She can hold the class during weekdays, nights or even on the weekend as long as she can schedule around her kids activities. I'm better the weekend with a weekday evening after 5 PM second. Days would be out for me for the most part, though the class isn't long so I could do a "lunch" class. But then no beer.:( Coffee would have to do.

I'll get a date since it looks like we have enough to make it worth her while.
    Sounds good. Let me know!

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I did take the class in October at Greenwood. Fairly simple but informative. I'm an RN and formerly an EMT-B but tourniquets and woundpacking weren't covered in either discipline. I consider the class to be worth the time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey folks, I don't have the date/time nailed down yet but it will be either the 14th or 15th depending on the room availability. And sometime in the afternoon.

I'll report back once I get it confirmed. Thanks.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Fyi for those interested in going...if you go to the ones taught under the auspices of the organization that does them in the hospital, you will be out of there in under 20 minutes, including practice for both tourniquet and wound packing. Worth your time and low impact to your schedule.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Fyi for those interested in going...if you go to the ones taught under the auspices of the organization that does them in the hospital, you will be out of there in under 20 minutes, including practice for both tourniquet and wound packing. Worth your time and low impact to your schedule.

Good to know. My person does teach under the Stop the Bleed org, but she said that due to Covid and having to clean between each participant, we should plan on 1-1.5 hours total.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey guys, I apologize for not getting back to you. The person is working on nailing down a time on either the 14th or 15th and hasn't heard back yet. It will be sometime after 12 noon, that much I know.

I'll report back as soon as I get confirmed time and date. Thanks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the date/time confirmed.

It will be Sunday, November 15th at 2 PM

Switchyard Brewery
    419 N. Walnut St.
    Bloomington, IN 47404

Switchyard Brewing Company #ShareOurCraft

They have a conference room that we will hold the meeting in.

Please let me know if you are going to make it so I have a count for the instructor.

On Sunday's you can park at the metered spots for free.

Oh, and as long as they don't see it, they don't care if you are carrying. So, if you absolutely must carry openly, then please, out of respect for the establishment owner and the instructor, pass on attending. Thanks. Hope to see and meet you there!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Unfortunately date puts me out. Hunting trip (opening weekend).
    Thanks to OP for organizing this. It's imperative to our survival, as well as those around us we care for, to be able to respond to an emergency. Time is the most crucial factor in receiving treatment for life threatening injury.
    Have fun all!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks so much for having this!

I'm not free for this date, but please pass along any future classes in the the area.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Unfortunately date puts me out. Hunting trip (opening weekend).
    Thanks to OP for organizing this. It's imperative to our survival, as well as those around us we care for, to be able to respond to an emergency. Time is the most crucial factor in receiving treatment for life threatening injury.
    Have fun all!

Sorry you can't make it but I understand.

Thanks so much for having this!

I'm not free for this date, but please pass along any future classes in the the area.

I will talk to her about future classes when we do this one. The sportsman's club I belong to in Martinsville is interested in hosting these so if she is open to it, I will get some scheduled up there. With a cap of 8 participants, I think multiple classes could be held.

Top Bottom