Stocking up ahead of 2021/2022 shortages...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Posted about that on the shortages thread...

Embedded link to the EPA

This is definitely one of the factors at play, and the CARB regulations will make the problems worse long term as the number of truck options allowed to be sold and registered in the state will shrink. But I don't think a lack of trucks is the driving force behind the log jam right now, today.

I was just in Long Beach last month for the Advanced Clean Transportation Expo. It's held literally right next to the port. Day and night trucks are lined up and idling, ready to pick up containers off the docks. The line of semi trucks is miles long. The problem is not just about getting more trucks to pick up the goods as the Conservative Treehouse article claims. Driver shortages and the ridiculous new regulations that strangle the ability of contract workers and owner operators to pick up some of the slack is likely a contributing factor too.

Maybe a lack of trucks is more of an issue at the Port of LA, but in Long Beach it was plain to me that there were plenty of trucks waiting to pick up loads, they just weren't moving very quickly.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm hoping to spend several more days hunting this year than last and I've got some out of state hunts scheduled for hog in December.

Basically, free range meat is my focus for this winter.

Three boys, and the oldest isn't satisfied by the kids menu anymore...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I saw the gas company is warning people to expect higher prices. Like, 50% higher. Can’t really stock up on it, but it might be smart to look for ways to increase heat retention in your home. Or at least set aside some extra cash.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Stocking food items as usual. Increased effort to obtain odd wear out items like chains and bars for chainsaw, air/gas/water filters, lightbulbs, cleansers, batteries. Still trying to figure out what the "street currency" will be when physical money turns 100% digital. I'm sure cigs, booze and ammo will still trade. I'm just not sure what will become the go-to currency for private transactions.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Stocking food items as usual. Increased effort to obtain odd wear out items like chains and bars for chainsaw, air/gas/water filters, lightbulbs, cleansers, batteries. Still trying to figure out what the "street currency" will be when physical money turns 100% digital. I'm sure cigs, booze and ammo will still trade. I'm just not sure what will become the go-to currency for private transactions.
    This is why I’ve been hesitant to get too deep into silver/gold. It may hedge against inflation, so I’ve been picking it up as I can. But in a real emergency situation, it doesn’t have much actual use so I can’t imagine too many people will want it. If someone is starving, why would they want silver? That would be a pretty dire situation, though.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I saw the gas company is warning people to expect higher prices. Like, 50% higher. Can’t really stock up on it, but it might be smart to look for ways to increase heat retention in your home. Or at least set aside some extra cash.

insulating plastic and tape for windows. Check your weatherstripping around all entries. If you own your home check your attic insulation.

My next “big” purchase is a standup kerosene heater in case the power goes out.

I’m planning on going on the budget billing to hopefully smooth out any jump in gas prices.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    This is why I’ve been hesitant to get too deep into silver/gold. It may hedge against inflation, so I’ve been picking it up as I can. But in a real emergency situation, it doesn’t have much actual use so I can’t imagine too many people will want it. If someone is starving, why would they want silver? That would be a pretty dire situation, though.
    There will always be haves and have nots.
    Its a possibility that when the Fiat money is worthless a bit of AU or AG will transmutate into beef, chicken, pork or vegetable matter.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My son got me motivated last week to get into prepping long term. Learned about mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Hit white rice first, son says Jasmine rice pretty good....so this week found 25lb bags between $25 -$30 on ebay and amazon then on ebay hit seller in INDY selling the same brand for $13 a bag less if 3 or more ordered....got 125lbs and 150lbs that son wanted, $11.19 a bag free shipping and got it in 24 hrs! They sold out fast. Now stocking up on dry beans and all the other stuff from local.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Desantis welcomed the cargo ships to Florida ports...

Are we now to a point we have red state and blue state ports?
    Doubtful they will go there as I'm sure most are too large to fit thru the Panama canal...and it'd be a logistical nightmare once they are unloaded off the ships.

Maybe on future sailings, but not for the ones already there or en route.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    My son got me motivated last week to get into prepping long term. Learned about mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Hit white rice first, son says Jasmine rice pretty good....so this week found 25lb bags between $25 -$30 on ebay and amazon then on ebay hit seller in INDY selling the same brand for $13 a bag less if 3 or more ordered....got 125lbs and 150lbs that son wanted, $11.19 a bag free shipping and got it in 24 hrs! They sold out fast. Now stocking up on dry beans and all the other stuff from local.
    Who was the seller? I would do that amount.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Stocking up on firewood. Had gas filled windows installed a couple of years ago (made a huge difference in my energy bills immediately), added more attic insulation, buttoned up the house as best I could for air leaks, all have made a major difference in my energy bill. Do what you can now. It is going to be a very expensive winter for those of us using gas for our primary heat source. And winters yet to come as well. Do you really think that the gas company will lower it's prices once they get them up where they are headed?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Schwepps tonic water, it's been really hard to find, so much so that scalpers are hawking it on the internet.
    It's good against COVID. Quinine acts like HCQ when you add zinc supplements.

Same reason it works against malaria.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Ordered 3M outside window film to seal the windows. Can’t do the inside.

Really dreading the winter w the heat pump. This is going to hurt.

Now to find time to switch the garden and start the new one. Got to get the garlic in the ground.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It's good against COVID. Quinine acts like HCQ when you add zinc supplements.

Same reason it works against malaria.
    Stuff used to be effective until the gov decided we were too stupid to drink it with the proper amount of quinine in it. SWMBO used it for leg cramps before it became too weak. We tried to get quinine here but no doctors would write a prescription for non-label use, and we didn't have malaria. Ended up having to order it from Canada.

Top Bottom