• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Did everyone who is still waiting file on paper? I am usually done early but waited a bit on mine and still got my refund in a timely manner after doing an e-file. Same for my son.
    Electronic filing in March. Got our state return in a couple of weeks. Still waiting on our federal. The IRS web site is no help.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Our refund check showed up today. Only been five months. The bad news. It was reduced by $1200 to take back one of our stimulus payments. The IRS web site said an explanation letter was sent on 23 August. Only problem is, it has not arrived yet.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Woot! Woot! Finally got fed refund!
    So at first I didn't notice, but the amount deposited by the IRS was a little higher than my tax return amount. Got a letter from them today - they paid me $10.58 in interest!

But, minus one woot because it says I need to report the interest as taxable income for 2021.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So at first I didn't notice, but the amount deposited by the IRS was a little higher than my tax return amount. Got a letter from them today - they paid me $10.58 in interest!

But, minus one woot because it says I need to report the interest as taxable income for 2021.
    That was nice of them to let you pay yourself interest. :wallbash:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It is not an interest free loan to the government. When they FINALLY pay, they give you interest - of course you will have to pay income tax this year on the interest payment
    What he is referring to is allowing the government a loan by having one's withholding such that you get a refund. If you zero out or you owe them, they never get free use of your money.

I get why people do it; to be on the "safe" side. 'Course it's just as safe to know one's tax liability is and make sure you set the money aside.

If it were up to me, everyone would have to do what I do- pay the government directly on a regular basis with no withholding, but I also understand that it would be a great way for a lot of people to get in deep doo doo with the government and for less taxes to be collected. At least the tax pain would be visceral for those who actually wrote the checks.

Top Bottom