• ...and so much more!
  • Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Hello fellow INGOers,

I was wondering if anyone has an personal experience with a steyr Aug? Reliability? I’m a bigger guy so I was wondering how the length of pull is. Also how do you guys have a white light set up on them? Thanks in advance!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sorry, all I know is, that I'd love to have one, but would need to have the left hand bolt....That and the bad guy, Karl, in Die Hard had one....It was reliable to be adopted by the Austrian Army, and I think Australia, adopted them for a time....

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A little experience with the AUG and it's Post-Bush1 USR. Was barely able to get into my safe to measure and got approximately 13.5 inches from the face of the trigger to the end of the butt area.

Mine have been as reliable as the Sun, and I would list my AUG as one rifle that I will only give up after I find out if there truly is an "after-life".

About the only issue that I have had is one of the 42 round mags had a floor plate break as I took it out of the safe and got a not so nice faceful of spring. Plastic floor plates in larger capacity mags is really not smart.
    Steyr AUG.JPG

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    LOP is about the same as an M16A2.

A3M1 factory models have a side rail for mounting a light. Placement is less than ideal but is useable. There are aftermarket options out there too.

Reliability, arguably the most reliable 5.56 rifle out there. Very accurate. Some really hate the trigger, I find it acceptable for its intended use.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Sorry, all I know is, that I'd love to have one, but would need to have the left hand bolt....That and the bad guy, Karl, in Die Hard had one....It was reliable to be adopted by the Austrian Army, and I think Australia, adopted them for a time....
    Yes Karl did use one in Die Hard; I thought it was really cool then. When I saw The Governor use one in The Walking Dead; I still wanted one someday. Trying to find one now is very difficult and $$$.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Trigger is crap and on the A3 the charging handle is perfectly positioned to lacerate the crap out of your hand on the exposed rail or your optic mounting hardware. Just a relic of the gun's design legacy, from before rails existed.

But in terms of actual use and fielding it is probably the best and most reliable bullpup on the market. Track record speaks for itself. Semi- serious countries are still using them as main battle arms.

Falls into "buy it because you want it, not because you want to make it into an AR" for me.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hello fellow INGOers,

I was wondering if anyone has an personal experience with a steyr Aug? Reliability? I’m a bigger guy so I was wondering how the length of pull is. Also how do you guys have a white light set up on them? Thanks in advanc

Bought one in jr. high/high school (think 9th or 10th grade) during late 80s. Sold it in late 90s (furniture for the house).

It shot everything I put in it. LOP is about 15" IIRC.

I never had a light on mine, but usually they put them at 4 o'clock (assuming right handed shooter).

AUGs are extremely popular in my club, I have started to get another. And now we have so many colors to pick from, lol.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Stormtrooper nato white. (Wife saw it in my cart and said that is a lot for a blaster)

trigger is for semi autos and not that great but the full auto trigger is great but we can not have it.

love to have most likely will never pull the trigger to buy

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    I have been looking at an AUG as well. Just watched Garand Thumb's recent (Sept 2021) review. He did call out the fixed LOP - compared it to a a little more than a collapsed Mk 18. Corvus Defense makes some (speedy) accessories - including a MLOK hand guard. Some other company makes metal trigger parts to improve feel over the stock plastic trigger components. Trying to justify the AUG with all the extras!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Justify any firearm? At least with the AUG you are buying something that looks like it was designed in the future and brought back via a time machine.

As for trigger feel? Like anything else, you get used to it, and like the old saying - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is the trigger feel. I personally can put up with it because that rifle is just so sexy... sorry. :D :D :D :D :D

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I just bought one. Waiting for it to arrive. Can’t wait to start punching holes. Depending on where you’re at, you could try mine
    Mine came in this week but I haven't had a chance to take it out. Bereli has them at $1,649 shipped In the Aug mag system. Trigger seems a little stiff but I'm sure that will break in some. Overall it feels really nice.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Got to the range today. Its a standard Steyr M3 A1 that takes their proprietary magazine. Using a Gen2 HD Strikefire 3x, I put 180 rounds down range. 30 rounds of 62g green tip, 150 rounds of Federal, PMC, and Fiochi 55g. The Fiochi seemed to group the best, though that could’ve been me getting used to the trigger and finally getting the optic set up. All shots were taken off hand or vaguely stabilized on the bench top while standing. I did not clean the firearm prior to first shots and experienced zero malfunctions of any kind during. After reading and hearing about how bad the triggers are on these I was pleasantly surprised to find a completely serviceable and, I would argue, crisp trigger. Some plastic drag could be felt on the let off but the initial break is short and clean. My AR has, idk, a two pound trigger with a mm of travel in either direction and is a more desirable trigger for the games maybe. The Steyr, being a stock service rifle, has a fine trigger imo and I look forward to getting to classes and matches to ring it out. I believe I read that Steyr updated the trigger packs on these, so maybe I have something a bit more refined than a gun made in the 80’s. Don’t quote me on that. . .Anyway, my 10 shot group sizes at 25y were around 1.5” when I was attempting to group. I think with a proper rest and good ammo group sizes will tighten considerably. All rounds found their homes on 250y simulated targets. I have no complaints about fit and finish. It balances well, it’s easy to point, nice small footprint. Recoil is negligible and, imo, easier to manage than my mid-length gas 16” AR.

That said, the top rail did shred my knuckle while dropping the bolt. It’s sharp AF, use the bolt drop near the magazine. That and the safety on both sides is sharp AF. I like it’s placement and it’s intuitive, but I can understand why others have complained about it. I’m not sure I can sand the edges without causing issues, I’ll have to find out.

Overall, I’m quite satisfied with my purchase

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Always operate the AUG charging handle with the palm of your hand facing upward. Use the pinky and ring finger on your hand to pull it back. I think everybody bloodies their knuckles the first time handling an AUG lol.

Safety button can be gently sanded or filed to smooth out the sharp edges.

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Got to the range today. Its a standard Steyr M3 A1 that takes their proprietary magazine. Using a Gen2 HD Strikefire 3x, I put 180 rounds down range. 30 rounds of 62g green tip, 150 rounds of Federal, PMC, and Fiochi 55g. The Fiochi seemed to group the best, though that could’ve been me getting used to the trigger and finally getting the optic set up. All shots were taken off hand or vaguely stabilized on the bench top while standing. I did not clean the firearm prior to first shots and experienced zero malfunctions of any kind during. After reading and hearing about how bad the triggers are on these I was pleasantly surprised to find a completely serviceable and, I would argue, crisp trigger. Some plastic drag could be felt on the let off but the initial break is short and clean. My AR has, idk, a two pound trigger with a mm of travel in either direction and is a more desirable trigger for the games maybe. The Steyr, being a stock service rifle, has a fine trigger imo and I look forward to getting to classes and matches to ring it out. I believe I read that Steyr updated the trigger packs on these, so maybe I have something a bit more refined than a gun made in the 80’s. Don’t quote me on that. . .Anyway, my 10 shot group sizes at 25y were around 1.5” when I was attempting to group. I think with a proper rest and good ammo group sizes will tighten considerably. All rounds found their homes on 250y simulated targets. I have no complaints about fit and finish. It balances well, it’s easy to point, nice small footprint. Recoil is negligible and, imo, easier to manage than my mid-length gas 16” AR.

That said, the top rail did shred my knuckle while dropping the bolt. It’s sharp AF, use the bolt drop near the magazine. That and the safety on both sides is sharp AF. I like it’s placement and it’s intuitive, but I can understand why others have complained about it. I’m not sure I can sand the edges without causing issues, I’ll have to find out.

Overall, I’m quite satisfied with my purchase
    Thanks for the update!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I had one, really liked it, but needed more ambi that I could get from it. It used AUG mags, so I had to have them on hand just for it and no other rifle. Traded it for a RDB and a significant amount of cash. Now I have a fully ambi bullpup that uses STANAG mags. And the trigger is no worse. AUG is still a perfectly good rifle, though.

Top Bottom