• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Do you guys prefer the stock that accepts AUG or Stanags magazines?

AUG A3 stock will get you the bolt release lever which is a very nice feature to have. NATO stock you will have to run the charging handle to release the bolt during reloads. Trigger pull on the NATO stock is a little worse too because there is only one trigger bar.

I prefer the AUG stocks, the only downside is proprietary mags that cost more than AR mags. Magpul AUG mags are a good option if you don't want to spend a bunch for Steyr mags. Make sure to get some 42 round Steyr mags though. Those are my favorites and I have more of them than I do 30 rounders.

alw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2022
    Tampa
    I used one for work from 1989 to 2005. It was a Police Model with a 3 shot burst. The optic was permanently affixed as the carry handle. They are super reliable. The guns saw duty for CQB, on the water as a boarding arm and saw service in Iraq. When in Afghanistan I ran into some soldiers from NZ that had them and they gave good service there too. The guns were designed with redundant systems. They are very easy to field strip and clean quickly. the trigger can cleaned up and smoothed out, but it is no two stage match trigger.
    I liked the cocking handle location with stock optic as it was easy to charge the weapon and it was similar to an MP-5 which we were also issued at the time. Never disappointed by it, it fed everything from 40 grain .223 to 75 & 77 grain grain 5.56mm. I was never bothered by the length of pull and actually preferred it to the M4 which we started using more extensively in 2003-2004. The M4 was supposed replace the Steyr and the MP5 for both field use and CQB.
    I found that precision shots at distances to 300 yds were easily accomplished with the stock circle reticle, 3x optic once you understood the aiming principles of the optic. The AUG magazines were all that was available then but they were always reliable. CQB with the standard in the handle optic was difficult but the Picatinny rail available now will solve that problem. We mounted lights and lasers off the front upright for the optic but things got crowded quickly. The Picatinny with an angled drop piece worked quite well for a light. I have an LMT M4 and a Bushmaster Target Rifle A3 flat top. I enjoy both of them at the range and coyote hunting but if I was asked to choose an assault rifle for fighting I would take the Steyr AUG. I think I developed and refined technique and muscle memory with that gun which instilled a high degree of confidence and I never found it lacking.

Oneofus1

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2018
    Ft wayne
    length of pull always felt similar to an A1 stock to me, as a medium build. Ever since flannel daddy made his video i havebeen looking for one of these. use to see them at the NE indiana gun shows but the guy wanted 5k

Top Bottom