• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I’m thinking about getting some steel targets. I recently bought a sig 365pxl with the Romeo zero. I zero’d it today and while shooting I decided I would really like to set up a good steel range.

Just looking for ideas on where you guys are getting the best deals on steel targets. I was able to find some upper torso 12x20 3/8” steel at rural king but wasn’t sure of the quality. They were $60.

for the time being there will be no rifle shooting. It will be limited to pistol.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Depending on the distance between you and the target. Railroad steel plates work but they are extremely hard.
    Before any lectures begin I have talked to the guys who work the tracks and they said to help yourself so long as you don't go crazy and it's for personal use

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have purchased from "ShootingTargets7.com" as well as "spartanarmorsystems.com/ar500-shooting-targets/", both thus far have held up really well.

I like the concept of Shootingtargets7 "super lock" hangers, plan on buying some if they have a Black Friday or similar sale, looks like easy way to build a few hanger racks using 1" conduit.

I have bought Powder from Bobcat Armament, was great to deal with, hope to swing by there if I'm up that way in the future.

MrMunster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Depending on the distance between you and the target.

Having caught numerous jacket fragments over the years, I cannot stress enough the need for safety glasses when shooting steel. I also find that distance is key. Steel Challenge says 7 yds minimum for pistol calibers. Most other shooting sports require +10 yds. For rifle rounds, best to keep it +100yds. And, unless you want holes in your steel, make sure you don't accidentally engage with steel core ammo.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville

Great Indiana company with outstanding and affordable products.

First I have heard of Bobcat so will take a look. I have several make it ring.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought these brackets online, then a 2x4 and some 3/4" pipes and you can setup an easily moved range in minutes. That solution has worked really well for years.

Recently I was shown these twist lock types of target holders and so hard it's been good: https://www.xsteeltargets.com/products/copy-of-2x4-static-target-holder I haven't used them much, but the advantage of being able to pound in a T-Post and place targets nearly anywhere has been pretty nice. Only issue is when you miss low you can take chunk out of the T-post, and you have to buy their targets that are cut out of those brackets, but their targets are very cheap.

For regular plates I'd also take a look at https://beststeeltargets.com/. They sponsor and support a lot of shooting matches and I like to show my appreciation for that by buying some of their stuff from time to time.

Attachments

• 20160409_111304.jpg
      20160409_111304.jpg
      590.8 KB · Views: 5
    • 20160423_165907.jpg
      20160423_165907.jpg
      3.8 MB · Views: 6
    Top Bottom