• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    The post you quoted is from 2008, there have been quite a few changes since then. OH now honors the IN LTCH along with all others. They are also going to "constitutional carry" on June 13th 2022.

Here is a website that is good for a quick check.

We do, Ohio does as well now.
    I’m extremely glad you responded, I’m new to concealed carry and not trying to get into any trouble with it as I make constant trips to and from Ohio
    Thank you so much for the info and correction

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I’m extremely glad you responded, I’m new to concealed carry and not trying to get into any trouble with it as I make constant trips to and from Ohio
    It's always a good idea to check the dates on posts, especially regarding laws. They change frequently. I'm pretty sure that the OH change was covered somewhere in this 30+ page thread, but that's still 30+ pages to go through.

Regarding OH specifically, they do honor the LTCH but unlike IN they currently have a "must inform" law. If stopped by an officer and you are carrying you must inform them immediately. If stopped I wouldn't recommend yelling "I have a gun!", perhaps something like "I have a license to carry and I am armed" don't use the word gun. Also signs with specific wording hold force of law.

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    It's always a good idea to check the dates on posts, especially regarding laws. They change frequently. I'm pretty sure that the OH change was covered somewhere in this 30+ page thread, but that's still 30+ pages to go through.

Regarding OH specifically, they do honor the LTCH but unlike IN they currently have a "must inform" law. If stopped by an officer and you are carrying you must inform them immediately. If stopped I wouldn't recommend yelling "I have a gun!", perhaps something like "I have a license to carry and I am armed" don't use the word gun. Also signs with specific wording hold force of law.
    Yea I realize now I should definitely check the dates on some of the posts, once again I really appreciate the response and will definitely keep this information in mind

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Ohio had a breakdown (or had) with Indiana LTCH reciprocality. They only honored them IF the Indiana LTCH holder was 21 or over one that was 20 years old and 11 months were in violation. I believe unlike Indiana Ohios Constitutional Carry is also 21 and over but not 100% sure

Also as far as the requirement to “Promptly” notify an LEO one is carrying has been removed with their Constitutional Carry law.

But as anything just a guide don’t take us for it research for your own.

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    Ohio had a breakdown (or had) with Indiana LTCH reciprocality. They only honored them IF the Indiana LTCH holder was 21 or over one that was 20 years old and 11 months were in violation. I believe unlike Indiana Ohios Constitutional Carry is also 21 and over but not 100% sure

Also as far as the requirement to “Promptly” notify an LEO one is carrying has been removed with their Constitutional Carry law.

Yeah that definitely pertains to me so I’ll have to look further into it, I appreciate the info and I’ll look into it a bit further just to be sure

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Indiana Carry Laws and What states Honor Indiana
    https://handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Permitless Carry States
    https://handgunlaw.us/documents/Permitless_Carry_States.pdf

Age to Carry in States with permit they honor or under Permitless Carry
    https://handgunlaw.us/documents/Age_to_Carry.pdf
    Gary
    Glad to see you posting again.
    I know it's been said before but the work you put into keeping up with all the continual changes of handgun law for the benefit of all of us is MUCH appreciated!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Thanks much for posting the info about 21 and over. You are correct on the constitutional carry being 21 and over, not sure on the reciprocity myself but I believe it is 21 and over as well.

But the requirement to notify will be removed when it goes into effect, it's still currently required.

And your last sentance is spot on.

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Have a question on Michigan. I know that you can carry, and if pulled over you have to notify the officer that you are carrying. But we are headed for the beach area's and perhaps state parks. My question is if your just walking and meet a officer and they start a conversation with you, do you have to notify them?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Have a question on Michigan. I know that you can carry, and if pulled over you have to notify the officer that you are carrying. But we are headed for the beach area's and perhaps state parks. My question is if your just walking and meet a officer and they start a conversation with you, do you have to notify them?
    Michigan law only states if you are in your vehicle and stopped.

In most states the duty to inform is only when you have an official Law Enforcement contact Traffic Stop, they are investigating something you are involved in etc. (so don’t put yourself into anything where LE will or is involved unless absolutely necessary)

Anyone else that knows any other Michigan specifics can add to it

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle. 2015, Act 3, Eff. Dec. 1, 2015

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle. 2015, Act 3, Eff. Dec. 1, 2015
    I read that as stopped, not just a traffic stop.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Depends, are you "stopped" by the officer or just engaging in random conversation? If stopped you must disclose immediately. Just random conversation, nope. IANAL TINLA.
    Michigan law only states if you are in your vehicle and stopped.

In most states the duty to inform is only when you have an official Law Enforcement contact Traffic Stop, they are investigating something you are involved in etc. (so don’t put yourself into anything where LE will or is involved unless absolutely necessary)

Anyone else that knows any other Michigan specifics can add to it
    It does not say only in your vehicle. See the post I quoted below.
    And here is the link.

indiana22native

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2023
    Fishers

didn’t know this. and have to go to Ohio next week… thanks for this post

Top Bottom