• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got a good deal on one of the SPFD Mil-Spec Defenders so I decided to do a sort of low cost retro custom. These Defenders are great guns to work with. I dropped off the frame and slide to AllenM for some quick work. He serrated the front strap, did some ball cuts on the slide and cut the front sight dovetail for me. His dovetail cuts are extremely precise. Last night I fit the Harrison trigger, the Dawson front sight and did a trigger job using the stock components which worked out great. I have a Harrison retro rear sight i'll install as well as picking up another Chen magwell which are a great part. I am going to shorten and slightly reshape the hammer as well.

Y9EZa9Bl.jpg

xa1cLoCl.jpg

xtujxaPl.jpg

2Q0F1yzl.jpg

iTXJfQal.jpg

f2P6EH1l.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Worked a bit last night on the Defender. I bobbed the hammer slightly, dehorned it and polished it out. The extractors on most SPFD's are usually a bit proud of the slide so I was going to dress this one down a bit. There was a bit of clocking so I fit an EGW oversized firing pin stop I had in the parts bin, now it's pretty solid. I got it dressed down and polished out pretty quickly.

oiNd97Sl.jpg

zNSA32Tl.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I picked it up in late December or early January from Highsmith's after the cerakote, turned out nicely. Sorry for a few of the blurry pictures. To recap, it started as a SPFD Defender, AllenM cut the front sight for me (Dawson), serrated the front strap, front slide ball cuts, and did a great job. I tried to keep this one a bit budget and see how it would go. I installed a Harrison retro U-shaped notch rear sight, Chen magwell, a solid short trigger, and EGW firing pin stop. For this gun the factory firing pin stop would have been fine but since I was serrating the rear it's important that you don't get any movement. I had to change out the thumb safety as it didn't have enough 'meat' to shape it how I wanted so I again used a Harrison retro thumb safety. I bobbed and re-shaped the factory hammer and worked the sear and got a nice trigger job out of them, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I tuned the extractor, feed ramp, barrel throat etc., did a light dehorn all around, and serrated the rear of the slide. It still has a retro look but with a couple custom touches.

d1NgsEsl.jpg

W4cWarWl.jpg

gCCQjcal.jpg

vtHRb3Xl.jpg

LeQcxKVl.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wish I were closer. I would love to have him do a few things to my favorite 1911.
    He has done a few performance items on mine. He does do good work. I'd like to have the front strap checkered but then that means a refinish which would lead to "what else could I get done?" :)

I am still able to resist...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    He has done a few performance items on mine. He does do good work. I'd like to have the front strap checkered but then that means a refinish which would lead to "what else could I get done?" :)

I am still able to resist...
    Do it!!! Of all the things I had upgraded on my Springfield having the front strap checkered was probably the best improvement made aside from fitting tool steel sear / hammer. I will not buy a 1911 without front strap checkering now at all.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Do it!!! Of all the things I had upgraded on my Springfield having the front strap checkered was probably the best improvement made aside from fitting tool steel sear / hammer. I will not buy a 1911 without front strap checkering now at all.
    As soon as the skateboard tape I have there wears off, I'll do it!

Top Bottom