• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Not interested in Hellcat but happened across a video describing a trigger issue.

Seems if any side pressure is placed sgainst the trigger prior to depressing the center safety blade, the gun will not fire no matter how much pressure is applied to the center safety. Watched several videos confirming this. One video compared the Hellcat trigger to XD-S, XDM, XD, and other striker fired pistols that all work the same and dramatically contrasting the difference in how the Hellcat works from other pistols. He also illustrated that gradually removing small amount of material and contouring the back of the safety blade as the fix.

Anyone else encountered this issue. Bottom line is that whatever can go wrong will go wrong in a high stress situation and to not trust your life with this pistol until issue is resolved either by Springfield, a gunsmith or diy.

News to me as I had not heard or seen any discussion of this prior to yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It's said to be a "common issue" on the Hellcat, but I didn't notice it until I went looking for it.

I've seen the DIY fix and heard quite a few just opt for a new trigger. You can easily see where the center safety gets hung up.

It's the only flaw I've noticed on an otherwise great micro compact.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Like firecadet said above, I had to go find it as well to duplicate the issue. Proper trigger finger placement and I had no problems while testing a Hellcat for the issue when I first heard about it. YMMV

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Have seen several Hellcats in classes. With everything from novice to moderate and experienced shooters. Haven't observed any issues myself.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I can reproduce it if I explicitly try. The issue is that when the trigger is depressed but the blade is not eventually the trigger reaches the point where the blade safety prevents it from moving any further. At this point you would expect that depressing the blade would allow the trigger to continue moving rearward. The problem is that the rear of the blade safety apparently binds up on the frame and can't clear the opening if the trigger is already depressed as far as it can go. That effectively locks up the trigger.

I tried the same experiment on my XDs and when depressing the blade it can still clear the opening in the frame even if the trigger is fully depressed. I tend to agree this is an issue that Springfield should fix. I would think a small amount of filing on either the rear of the blade or on the frame opening would solve the problem.

That or the Apex trigger...

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I wanted to follow up on this topic because I installed the Apex trigger today. First of all it definitely feels better than the factory trigger. It's got a slightly lighter pull, it's smoother, and the reset is a bit shorter. Overall it's an improvement, but I want to be clear on one thing:

The Apex trigger can lock up just like the factory trigger.

That's correct, if you pull the Apex trigger body to the rear until it stops the blade will not move, effectively locking up just like the factory trigger. At this point I'm assuming this is how Springfield intended the safety to work.

The caveat to that is because of the shape and design of the Apex trigger I have so far been unable to lock it up when holding the gun as you would when firing. I can force it to lock by carefully pulling the trigger body specifically to reproduce the issue, but when gripping the gun I can't find any way to get my hand on it and finger on the trigger that will lock it up. Unlike the factory trigger which would lock up if you put too much finger through the trigger guard so far there is no amount of "too much trigger finger" that I can apply that will cause the lockup. If I had to guess I'd say it's because the blade is smaller but wider, making it much easier to depress.

It's a pretty small pistol and I have fairly large hands so I'm reasonably confident in saying that for all practical purposes the Apex trigger resolves the issue.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have one and love it. It's a groundbreaking handgun, IMO. The stock trigger does have that issue, though after trying a thousand times to get it to do that with NORMAL use, I couldn't make it happen. If I tried to make it happen, I could.

I replaced the trigger with a Hyve trigger, not because of the issue, but because I prefer a wider trigger, and the Hyve also let me adjust for less takeup.

I think it's a fantastic carry gun, maybe the best ever.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Haven't had an issue with lockup, but I do have a problem with getting a blister on my trigger finger after about 100ish rounds. It seems to rub/pinch between the bottom of the trigger and the guard.

So I MIGHT replace it just for that reason, but I like to leave things stock on anything I might carry.

Top Bottom