• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I wasn't worried about the polymer lens for clarity, it was for durability. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe the glass will be more scratch resistant than polymer.
    I'm sure glass would be more scratch resistant.

But in thinking more about all this, I have hunting guns, range guns, carry guns and safe queens/BBQ guns.

In order of abuse, the hunting guns take the most.

Range guns are often handled by many different people, passed around, etc.

Carry guns are pretty much pampered, they are fired for function and familiarity plenty but they live in a holster, are not dropped, passed around, etc, and not exposed to much risk. What are the odds of scratching an optic of a gun that mostly lives in a holster?

Is the extreme reliability under knock around conditions of a tactical operator really needed for a pampered EDC pistol? Heck for the price of 1 nice Holosun you could almost buy 3 Bushnell optics. So if a Bushnell fails at 3 years just toss it and replace it. You'd be about 8 years into the future before you would break even with the cost of the Holosun and my guess is that most people would have replaced the Holosun optic in less than 8 years, maybe just because they wanted a newer model. Although I do like the Dot inside the Circle optic of the Holosun. As long as the optic is reasonably reliable it should be more than good enough, especially if it co-witnesses with the irons.

Visual clarity of the lens seems trivial between the lower end and the upper end. In the real world the Leupold or Trijicon $500 beautifully crisp optical lens is really not going to make any difference in the self defense shooting situation where the bad guy is 18 feet away and closing distance.

I'm not arguing to buy a crap optic.

But I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic of passing over a lower priced, well reviewed and well spec'ed optic from a legitimate/established provider in favor of an optic that costs 2 or 3 times as much and might have essentially zero extra utility/safety factor in an EDC gun.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Bushnell has an ultra-compact red dot. $149.00.

I watched one review where a guy dropped it at 1 meter onto concrete and broke the glass. But it still held zero with the broken glass. The guy was impressed!

This video the guy drops it onto a wooden deck from his upstairs deck. So roughly a 12 to 15 foot drop. Then tossed it into a bucket of water. Then rang steel at 100 yards.

So I have to wonder, why spend $300 to $500 for an optic on a concealed carry pistol that will live in a holster? The Ultra-Compact version would not be my choice for a HOME defense gun that lives next to my bedside or elsewhere inside my home, but might be a great choice for an optic mounted to a gun that lives on my hip.

Am I missing something?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The heck with it, I ordered the Bushnell Ultra Compact to give it a try. Worst case I fire off a couple hundred practice rounds and figure out that a bigger, better sight is desired. That is cheap training. Best case is it work for me and I don't need to unload my wallet on a "name" brand holo sight preferred by the local SWAT team and various para-military coups. I can live with the shame of owning a 'lesser' brand that works for me.

If it doesn't work well for me I'll skip the drive thru fancy coffee and and the burgers at White Castle for a few weeks and be none the worse off financially.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Oh this is too much fun.

The tiny holosight arrived. 50,000 hours of battery life. Weight is less than an ounce. Easily fits in the holster. No snag draw design. Built to military drop test toughness (but I am not planning to test that). Auto dimming dot, aluminum billet construction, glass lens.

Obviously some people don't understand the way these work, but the red dot does NOT project out from the gun. The red dot is not like a flashlight or a laser beam. Even looking straight into the muzzle end of the pistol there is no visible red dot or glow.

My pistols ALSO has a green laser beam installed under the muzzle. That is actually visible to anyone down range IF, and ONLY IF, I choose to turn it on. But the red dot holographic sight is invisible.

In some dry fire practice I notice that the laser puts me on target fasted of all. The red dot is a close second, and the more I've been training with it the faster I am getting on target it with it. The iron sights are noticeably slower to acquire the target. All of this dry fire practice is at self defense distances of 30 feet/10 yards or less. The holographic sights like these are designed specifically for self-defense pistols to get very fast accurate shots onto target. The dot is a giant 8 MOA dot, so this would cover up a precision target at long range, it is not designed for that type of shooting.

Red dot sight and green dot laser are both tuned to overlap/overlay each other at 30 feet/10 yards. Closer than 10 yards and the green laser spot is just above the iron front sight, just below the red dot. Out farther than 10 yards and the green laser is above the red dot. Can't really see it in the photo but the rear sights and the front tritium glowing dot co-witness right thru the glass of the red dot so should the glass fall out, crack or the battery die, the iron sights still work.

tempImageH9TjtX.jpg
    tempImageiLFRAc.jpg tempImageaN3Dpt.jpg tempImagerqgpnu.jpg

In the photo BELOW the green laser is turned ON and is seen thru the clear lens of the red dot optic. So the green laser is actually visible ON THE WALL. But the red dot is not actually projected onto the wall. It is only visible inside the optic. I can choose to turn the laser on/off at my whim. The red dot optic is always on, always ready for use, and the battery life is projected to last for nearly 5 years. It uses a standard CR 3032 replaceable battery, available at Walgreens, CVS, etc.
    tempImagebjEanF.jpg

tempImageDrKD2r.jpg

tempImageHwhLsY.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Current condition of the HELLCAT now has an added Bushnell RXU-200 'ultra compact' red dot sight. So far I am loving the sight. At $149 it is a bargain priced optic but the reviews are very good. I get on target pretty fast, and faster with practice. But not (yet) as fast as with the laser.

To this date I have added:
    • Bushnell RXU-200 red dot optical sight. (see above)
    • NDZ mid-height magazine release (in red). The factory magazine release is very low profile. Several brands make tall magazine releases that are too tall. Certainly easy to operate, but can potentially snag during draw, or, worse yet, be activated by a holster. The NDZ mid-height is, to my mind, pretty much perfect for self-defense.
    • Viridian E Series green dot laser. Love this. Nothing gets my gun on target quicker than that green laser beam. Green dot is much easier to find than the older style red lasers.
    • Handleit "Edge" grip tape. Seems good so far, we will find out how durable it is. I like the comfort. I like the feel. And it is cheap, so if it doesn't hold up it can be replaced easily.
    • Tyrant rear slide cover plate. Red aluminum. OK, this is just cosmetic. But I like it.
    • NDZ baseplate (red) for my 10 round magazine. (I also have 11, 13 and 4 of the 15 round magazines, added the red plate to the 10 rounder so I could find tell it apart from the identical size 11 rounder)

Seriously looking at, but have not ordered
    • ITTS trigger from Tyrant
    • Lakeline extended slide release. I'd have ordered it to replace the tiny factory unit but it is currently out of stock.
    • Oversized takedown lever from Apex Tactical. Has a ledge for forward thumb rest. I really need to do more shooting with the gun before I decide if this is needed or desired on this gun.
    • Stainless steel frame pins. 3 main pins hold this gun together and it seems to me that stainless is better than not. But the factory pins may be stainless that are coated? Not sure. If they are stainless then there is no reason to change them out.
    Just because I like the look of the red magazine release, I will very probably paint the slide lock and the takedown lever with red gunkote or automotive paint. Just because I like the look. Might also highlight the name in red paint too? And that green button on the laser is making my OCD flare up, very likely that will be made red too.

Clearly my 'modifications' are for easy of use, this is a carry pistol, it is tiny and factory controls are also small. The mag release and the slide stop/release are very small and hard for me to manipulate. Adding slightly larger, but still holster friendly parts, to my mind increases the usability and safety of the pistol for me, the actual user.

I want to hit what I aim at and between my arthritis and my weak eyes I need all the help I can get. If I replace the trigger it will be for a trigger with a more positive feeling reset so I can actually feel it. Not looking to lighten the trigger, I want all the factory safety, but I want to know, by feel, where the reset is.

The sights, in triplicate, are for my eyes. The Bushnell co-witnesses with the Tritium front dot and the rear U-channel iron. The Viridian laser co-witnesses with both. All 3 are zeroed in at 30'/10 yards.

This slide stop/release will be ordered as soon as possible from Lakeline. Currently shown as unavailable from them. As soon as a new batch is produced I'll be ordering one. Reviews are all excellent, and the factory latch it just so darn tiny it is not practical for me to operate during any action type shooting. Can't imagine I could operate it under any sort of pressure situation.

Photo below is a birdseye view, showing that the slide release sticks out just slightly. Factory release is pretty much flush.

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 6.00.58 PM.png

If the reviews of this trigger come in positive then it is likely I'll be getting one of these Tyrant ITTS triggers shown below. Apex, Powder River Precision and a couple other brands already get positive reviews, but each has their own strengths. I'm a wait and see kind of guy on triggers. But I'm hopeful given what they claim and given the reviews on their triggers for other brands. We shall see what happens with this.

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 6.05.17 PM.png

5Five6

I'm going to check out those holsters. Enjoy looking through the threads and learning something new

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm going to check out those holsters. Enjoy looking through the threads and learning something new
    The CrossBreed SuperTuck is amazing. I've got a couple of them that are 20+ years old and well used. They have another decade of daily carry left in them. Quality product. FWIW, you can buy '2nds' which have a minor blemish or other non-functional issue, for about 1/2 price from CrossBreed. For the Hellcat, if you don't run a laser, you can get the slightly smaller CrossBreed 'MiniTuck" too.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Very nicely done indeed. Tricking guns out can really be fun, and, expensive! LOL! :wavey:
    Parts are inbound!

No expected date for shipping on the Tyrant ITTS trigger so I have a Powder River Precision trigger that shipped today. Powder River's trigger seems to be the 2nd choice for people who buy Apex. And the 2nd choice for people who buy Monarch. And the 2nd choice for people who buy Mcarbo. So clearly people like Powder River but, for some reason choose something else. Obviously many also prefer Powder River too. Guess I'll find out. I've not tried one, bought it because I could get it and because it does seem to be well thought of.

Probably have the Tyrant slide plate in the mail tomorrow if USPS doesn't let me down.

No word from Lakeline on the extended slide stop.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Painted the takedown lever and the slide stop. Red. Of course. Because red makes the gun shoot straighter, faster and more betterer! duh

Still waiting for the trigger but FedEx notified me that there is a package out for delivery.

Lakeline LLC, the maker of the only extended slide stop I have found, is not answering inquiries on their next production run of the handy little part that I covet. So I'm a little at a loss, that part would help my aging and arthritic hands more easily manipulate this gun. Really hoping to get one of those enhanced bits.

In the mean time, I'll wait for the Powder River Precision trigger kit and hope to run across a Lakeline extended slide stop for sale in the wild.

334751020_1267883710603264_4359155220652743212_n.jpg
    334670906_752393733072500_6259395275197075242_n.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Powder River Trigger. Loving it. I can feel the click of the reset very nicely. Good for my arthritic hands.

334960014_1917509215277344_3903069546966451952_n.jpg

Lakeline LLC extended slide release is in transit. Waiting for that to arrive, that is a very practical upgrade and will make the slide release useable under stress. The factory part is so low profile that it is very hard to manipulate. Figure it should arrive by early next week, it is shipped via USPS so maybe next month or year?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    This is not a gimmick. Such a little change can make a big difference in the feel and operation of the Hellcat. Lakeline LLC's extended slide release is simply awesome. $39 direct from Lakeline.

They kept the original factory shape and footprint but made the release lever about 3x thicker than the factory part. Seems almost insignificant but my arthritic hand (diagnosed at a very young age with Rheumatoid Arthritis) can actually feel and engage the slide release now.

I love that the profile is flat, just like the original design, nothing new to the shape that can snag, poke or scratch against your body or a holster. But the fact that it is now raised up, via being thicker than factory, makes it easy to engage. Retains the original look too.

Because it Lakeline slide release is thicker than the factory part, it can be engaged from the top, bottom or the face of the part. The top edge, because it is thicker, works like a ledge for engaging your thumb making it easy to apply downward prssue. So anywhere you engage your thumb on the release lever will work.

Highly recommended.

FWIW, Apex just released a slide release for the Hellcat. It is more of a tapered ledge shape, some may prefer it. Prices for the Apex part start at $55 in black, $65 in chrome, according to their website.

Hellcat owners now have some choices to increase the actual functionality of their gun.

tempImageZP87PJ.jpg tempImageOTKMYN.jpg tempImageDZl4IJ.jpg tempImageVG3FsE.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I should point out that I'm not only arthritic but I'm also old, or at least old-ish.

I modified the gun was so that it would actually be useable for someone with arthritic hands and fading eyesight. Essentially my gun is a prosthetic modification to make it shootable/operable for old people.

The trigger is a Powder River Precision, I can actually feel the reset point but it retains all the original safety functions. It even feels like it might have a slightly longer pull. But the fact that I can feel the reset is important.

The magazine release is slightly taller than stock. It is from NZD, they offer 3 heights. Mine is the mid height, perfect for use in a holster, easier to engage than the OEM.

The tritium front dot on the irons is not enough for me. The tiny Bushnell is awesome, add the green Viridium E Series laser and I can actually see where the gun is pointed.

There are some colorful bits. Those are just for fun/looks.

Hey, I'm old, but I have style :pimp:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Working on my 'franken-holster' for my Hellcat a bit more today. This is 3 parts Crossbreed and 1 part Galco.

Leather is from an old Galco KingTuck. Wide clip is CrossBreed SuperTuck. Narrow belt clip is CrossBreed Reckoning. Kydex is CrossBreed Reckoning.

Originally I had wide clips on both sides but the wide clip on the optics side of the gun was mounted about 1/2" wider but using the wide clip and being mounted farther out eliminated the option of appendix carry. I cut back the leather, drilled new holes and used the narrow clip to allow for a more comfortable appendix carry.

During test carry it carries noticeably closer toward the front of the body, the combination of using belt clip that his 1/2 the width, and moving it inboard a 1/2" moves the gun enough to make a big difference for appendix carry.

The dual clip design also great at strong side and behind the back but has always been a hinderance for appendix carry. Seems like this is a great modification that gives the holster even more versitility.

I will be swapping out the other wide clip with another narrow clip, but I don't plan to remount that clip closer to the kydex. It will stay where it is. One of the reasons the hybrid Leather/Kydex holsters are so comfortable is because of the leather panel's abilty to form fit to the body; shrinking its size too much would be counter productive.

tempImagejAZ9Aa.jpg tempImagehk9Tjt.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Picked up a finger groove magazine baseplate for the 13 round magazine. Mostly for range use, it gives that extra length and a secure hold for the little finger of my right hand. The stock 13 round baseplate is shorter without the added little finger support. Nice addition. But I carry with flush fit baseplate for concealment. There are several other brands available but this was the only one I found that was not smooth along the front side and had a finger groove with serrations.

This is NDZ Performance. Nicely machined, well made, has both a finger groove and serrations on the front for the fingers. Tyrant makes some cool looking stuff, smooth on the front, no finger groove, but serrations on the side. Hyve makes slick sided versions, no finger groove. Springer Precision makes a finger groove version, but no serrations.

tempImageuc4CZZ.jpg
    tempimagea1u26c-jpg.265115
    tempImagerboah6.jpg

Attachments

• tempImageA1U26C.jpg
      tempImageA1U26C.jpg
      654.7 KB · Views: 41

44blam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2023
    Nashville
    I carry a hellcat with a swampfox sentinel. I have done the following to it:
    1) Put talon grips plus a little pad where my support thumb indexes.
    2) Polished all internals that contact in a trigger pull (the striker safety plunger seems to be the most important)
    3) Replaced safety plunger, sear and striker springs with the MCARBO spring set.

This changed the trigger pull from a gritty 7lbs to a nice, smooth 5lbs. I have shot more than 1000 rounds but probably less than 2 or 3000 rounds through this guy. I do shoot it as a carry optic in Steel Challenge and also in USPSA but just started using it in competition late last year. I have yet to have a malfunction and I do shoot it quite a bit. I try to shoot at least 2 boxes / month in it just to keep my skills sharp and I shoot drills like "dot torture" and 5x5 drill.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I carry a hellcat with a swampfox sentinel. I have done the following to it:
    1) Put talon grips plus a little pad where my support thumb indexes.
    2) Polished all internals that contact in a trigger pull (the striker safety plunger seems to be the most important)
    3) Replaced safety plunger, sear and striker springs with the MCARBO spring set. . .
    How do you like the MCARBO stuff? I've been thinking of doing the same parts swap. Do you think the gritty-to-smooth trigger pull is related to polishing internals or parts swap or both?

Also, I looked at the Sentinel from Swampfox but opted to stay away from it because it doesn't co-witness with the iron sights. I'm OK with that on a competition/range gun, but not on a carry gun. Mine is strictly a carry gun. Under 1000 rounds with this so far. But liking most everything about it. Nifty little platform. Easier to carry than my Glocks. So much lighter than the 1911s that I have carried for 30 years.

44blam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2023
    Nashville
    I think smoothing out the internals smoothed out the trigger pull and the different springs dropped the pull weight a little. It's still a fairly heavy pull and still has a distinct wall.

With the sentinel, you can still see a couple mm of the top of the sights and some color of the front sight. So if it died, you can still aim it - wouldn't be optimal but neither is having it fail.

I tend to polish the internals of most of my pistols just because it's free (except time) and most guns still have tooling marks and are just not as smooth as they can be. It doesn't take much time either.

I made the spring changes pretty early for this guy and it hasn't malfunctioned. I've also shot a few different types of ammo through it from heavy HP carry ammo (147 gr speer gold dot) to plinking ammo. I also cast/reload 9mm and I've shot a couple hundred of those too.

Top Bottom