Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Gun manufacturers do some weird things sometimes. It appears that this model PI9125E is no longer offered but has been replaced by PI9125L. 1911 Range Officer® Compact 9mm Handgun - Springfield Armory (springfield-armory.com) While the basic gun is the same, there are a few items that the factory has eliminated. More on that later.

This is an Officers frame on a 4 inch slide. The frame is lightweight (wish they would make a steel one) and the slide is forged machined steel. It weighs just under 30 oz. (33 would be better for me) lays out a little past 7.5 inches and stands 5 inches tall. True to series 70 style, these Springers are in my opinion the best value in production grade 1911 going. I do not mind series 80 pistols but do not care for the slide stop cut going all the way through the top rail so I stay with the Series 70 with full uninterrupted rails. The bull cone barrel is very accurate but does take a small tool to help index the slide for takedown. The Ed Brown magazines hold 8 rounds so that means I take to the street 9 in the gun and 8 on the belt. I have about 600 rounds through it now and there are no problems. The trigger pull releases crisp and clean with an average just under 4lbs. Just great for a multipurpose gun for games, training and street defense.

With factory fodder and my reloads, this gun shoots em right down the middle and elevation is perfect. Recoil is sweet but I still would prefer a little heavier frame. Polymer and lightweight framed guns are a constant rub in the balance department in my opinion. I have had a great relationship with SA for many years. Back in the day I took some training from Leatham and got to know Dave Williams, Deb and the rest of the gang when they sponsored heavily the Single Stack Classic at PASA Park. Home | PASA Park

My first visit to PASA was at the first Smith and Wesson Masters Championships around 1985 and I have been a member since. With a 600 yard rifle range and a shooter friendly layout, I can make the 4 hour drive and shoot all day, visit some friends and head home the next day. Barry Il is a small town and it is nice to see the locals when I go. Quincy is a river town and there is plenty to see and do about 25 miles to the north.

This pistol comes up directly, just like a 1911 should, and the controls, including ambi safety and grip safety work flawlessly. I know some shooters can’t work with the grip safety and tape them down but I suggest they get a different type of gun before they start jury rigging controls on a 1911. I had one competitor in Michigan that ground his grip safety off so it appeared to be functioning and this was the same shooter that holstered a cocked and unlocked 1911 during the make ready. We found out about the inoperable grip safety after the DQ when a CRO was showing him the ropes at a safe table.

I typically can run the Wilson 5x5 Drill in around 22 seconds with this piece. And like most 1911’s the natural feel and POA makes this very sweet to shoot one handed.

This gun came with a nice Soft Pistol Case, ambi safety, FO front (I prefer a steel front sight) and a ledge type rear. It is a good slide to frame fit and the barrel is fit perfectly. I use Lucas Gun Grease Extreme Duty Gun Grease (lucasoil.com) when reassembling along with BreakFree CLP CLP® Cleaner, Lubricant & Preservative | Safariland to finish it out. I have tried other CLP’s and like the viscosity of BF better.

So when I want to run silent and run deep, I carry in the Galco IWB. Royal Guard 2.0 Inside The Pant Holster (galcogunleather.com) . I see they changed this holster to include a sweat guard. Sad. My older version does not have the SG. Good. Now when I am training, field carry and sometimes competition, I use the Galco Avenger. Avenger Belt Holster (galcogunleather.com). Both of these quality leather holsters pass the blunt force test without losing the gun, cracking, breaking or getting rivet fatigue. They hold the gun securely, allow for quiet presentations and only release the gun with the appropriate straight out movement. I bought stuff from Gallagher when he was in Chicago at The Famous JackAss Leather Company. A South Bend dealer/distributor got me all my holsters back in the day from Richard Gallagher. Believe it or not, I believe I went through a shoulder holster phase as well.

I have shot this pistol hard and fast to heat it up so hot you couldn't touch the slide, and again no problems. I put it my freezer for two days along with the ammo and shot it with no problems. I am so glad that the factory did not mill and recess the right side of the slide stop. I know some thinks this looks cool, but for me, I don’t like reducing the bearing surface, the convenient take down, and the feel and sight indicators that my slide stop is all the way home.

So to recap, to make this pistol perfect for me I would want a tight radius trigger guard to frame cut. Not relieved but a square design. 25 to 30 LPI on the front strap, steel frame, and a solid steel front sight. Marketing majors today promoting FO, gaseous night sights, Casper the ghost sights, dots and lasers, may all be good for the masses but not so much for this individual when it comes to a street gun. All in all, should I decide to keep this piece in my lineup, I think it will last a long time and not give me any trouble.

Good Shooting.
    View attachment 94504 View attachment 94505 View attachment 94506 View attachment 94507 View attachment 94508 View attachment 94509 View attachment 94510 View attachment 94511 View attachment 94512 View attachment 94513 View attachment 94514 View attachment 94515 View attachment 94516 View attachment 94517 View attachment 94518

Attachments

• IMG_0656 (002).jpg
      IMG_0656 (002).jpg
      576.6 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0657 (002).jpg
      IMG_0657 (002).jpg
      556.5 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0658 (002).jpg
      IMG_0658 (002).jpg
      466.2 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0660 (002).jpg
      IMG_0660 (002).jpg