• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Just wondering if there are any folks here that raise springers? I just lost my 6 years old male and his brother is lost without him. Wanted to look for a pup next spring but thought I would put some feelers out for one .. even now. Not for hunting just one for the grandkids to love on. Live in the country on 20 acres.. we’re a horse rescue and work with the public so it would have all kinds of things to do and experiences. Really miss my boy no lies there! Thanks. Tim @ schuller stable inc

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Field bred and you aren't going to hunt her? That's really a shame. That dog was bred to hunt and will receive the most joy of its life doing exactly that.

You should consider some bird hunting even if you don't shoot anything.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Field bred and you aren't going to hunt her? That's really a shame. That dog was bred to hunt and will receive the most joy of its life doing exactly that.

You should consider some bird hunting even if you don't shoot anything.
    Oh I’ll run her through our woods and work fence lines. For fun. Be interesting to see how she turns out. Good bloodlines Sire is from Canada and the family raised all them to hunt with. I just don’t have a lot of free time.. Next weekend we’re hit the woods for a bit. Move to shooting soon afterwards
    My first springer was a awesome bird dog.. he would point and flush like a pro. I would shoot starlings and that was his joy.. and he had no training.. just instincts.. not the one I have right now. Couch potato spaniel/field. He mouses in the barn and that’s about it. maybe with some coaching from the new pup..

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've been considering a Brittany.

They are great bird dogs, but need to be worked.

I know a guy that owns and operates a "bird ranch" where the dog could be boarded and worked through the season. I would work it there a few times in later season and other places in early season. Outside of season it would be here.

Still figuring it out, but bird dogs enjoy working and need to work to keep it up.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    We love the breed and all dogs horses too.. Sophie is great almost house broken and follows the other springer around like his shadow.. he’s not too happy at times but I let them out and she doesn’t wander.. she’s picked up on birds and going to work with her with a bird wing this week. She’s stalking the bird feeders and fascinated by birds.. the cold doesn’t bother her I took her out yesterday morning at minus 2 and had a hard time getting her in 933DAFF2-6610-4D21-8C2D-88C771004B66.png

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We love the breed and all dogs horses too.. Sophie is great almost house broken and follows the other springer around like his shadow.. he’s not too happy at times but I let them out and she doesn’t wander.. she’s picked up on birds and going to work with her with a bird wing this week. She’s stalking the bird feeders and fascinated by birds.. the cold doesn’t bother her I took her out yesterday morning at minus 2 and had a hard time getting her in View attachment 124665

This is so cool.

Top Bottom