• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If I was younger w better eyes and body, gonna get more years behind the gun, compete.....then something costing much more would be justified.

9AtOng1.jpg

kQn6RZT.jpg

lc9IRMo.jpg

I 100% expect to shoot out my 725 TBH, in 8 months of shooting clays I am at 7k~ already. Just did all three courses at Elk Creek followed up by a final round of sporting at The Farm. We burned 2.5k~ rounds between the four of us over 2 days.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    9AtOng1.jpg

kQn6RZT.jpg

lc9IRMo.jpg

I 100% expect to shoot out my 725 TBH, in 8 months of shooting clays I am at 7k~ already. Just did all three courses at Elk Creek followed up by a final round of sporting at The Farm. We burned 2.5k~ rounds between the four of us over 2 days.
    No worries, that 725 can be rebuilt and put back to factory spec's when the time comes.

The gun on the right, is that a FabArms with the interchangeable ribs?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I've only seen one in Trap & Field magazine. The concept seems interesting though.

My but complaints were how light the barrels were , and the wood was dissapointing. Fabarms treats their wood to make it look better than it is and when you take the gun down it's evident. The forearm is fragile at best IMHO and the adjustable rib was a bit loose for my taste. Though evidentially I shoot way better with a flat versus a raised rib.

I am going to have Arts rebuild my 725 when and if I do wear it out. But that will be my excuse to upgrade to an F3 :abused:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My but complaints were how light the barrels were , and the wood was dissapointing. Fabarms treats their wood to make it look better than it is and when you take the gun down it's evident. The forearm is fragile at best IMHO and the adjustable rib was a bit loose for my taste. Though evidentially I shoot way better with a flat versus a raised rib.

I am going to have Arts rebuild my 725 when and if I do wear it out. But that will be my excuse to upgrade to an F3 :abused:
    Yeah they aren't the only ones who treat the wood to make it look better. Based on what I've read in product descriptions, some Beretta's have a similar treatment to enhance the wood's appearance.
    I shoot a mid rib pretty well but haven't really tried a high rib because my hunting guns are pretty flat shooters.

Art's is where I would send my Browning when I wear it in enough (they say Browning's wear in not out. Lol). I'm not even sure what I would want to upgrade to if I had the chance.
    I don't shoot enough to justify a K or P gun expense. I like the looks of some CG's but don't like that they don't sell any parts and require the gun be sent back to them for any work.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’d vote for a Browning Citori. Buy once, cry once. The guns are built better than a proverbial tank and will outlast the hobby shooter’s lifetime. I’ve had one for almost 50 years and it still locks up like a bank vault.
    You can’t do better for the money!:rockwoot:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I love my 725 Trap…. And the AAAA maple makes it easy on the eyes :)

Gorgeous gun, I really wished they offered the Sporting with that Semi Beaver tail forend it just looks good IMHO. But then again I am probably biased towards maple, enjoy the comments it gets on the range!! To quote my BIL while shooting this weekend "that maple looks amazing when the sun hits it, the tiger stripes really jump out at you"

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thank you!!! I’ve had some gorgeous shotguns over the years but this is easily the nicest of the bunch!!! I have no complaints with it doing what it does…. Just me :)
    Just curious, but is that marketed as being designed to throw a 70/30 pattern like the Citori XT or CXT?

I'm not really sure what the design difference is between a regular Citori and the 725 is why I'm curious

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Just curious, but is that marketed as being designed to throw a 70/30 pattern like the Citori XT or CXT?

I'm not really sure what the design difference is between a regular Citori and the 725 is why I'm curious

Advertised as such, the 725 has a lower profile reviever compared to the standard citoris giving them more of an "Italian" feel, they also have the newer Browning mechanical triggers as well as the newer Invector DS Choke system. Random fun fact about the Maple Brownings, the wood actually was sourced from Michigan.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Advertised as such, the 725 has a lower profile reviever compared to the standard citoris giving them more of an "Italian" feel, they also have the newer Browning mechanical triggers as well as the newer Invector DS Choke system. Random fun fact about the Maple Brownings, the wood actually was sourced from Michigan.
    I knew about the lower profile receiver and the DS choke system. I'm a bit of a skeptic on the DS chokes having any benefit vs most others available. Seems like a gimmick to me just to have a new design when there was nothing wrong with what they already had. But, was unaware of the mechanical triggers.
    Having the wood sourced from Michigan is pretty cool. Both yours and Noble Sniper's guns look good in maple. But generally I prefer classic American walnut.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You really need to shoulder up the guns on how natural it feels to you. The Browning actions are higher because the pivot pin is low below the monoblock. The Beretta uses trunion style pivots that are in line with the bottom barrel. The different design of the 725 looks like it is 1/2 way in between.

If you are gong to shoot 100's of thousands of rounds in competition, both guns can be rebuilt. The Beretta trunion pins are replaceable and the Browning hinge pin can be turned. Many good gunsmiths can work on either.

Many nice shotguns have come and gone but I keep the Beretta O/U guns. Of course they fit me really well. I took my Beretta 682 Gold Trap to a professional stock fitter and after a bunch of measuring and comparing, he said it was so close to perfect for me that he could not improve it. You may be built differently.

I have shot Trap and skeet for years. Done some 5 stand and even did the big sporting clay's courses in Beaumont and San Antonio. Anyone who started with the cheap o/u guns always seems to quickly need a better one anyway. For the loss on the trade you are better with a better gun right from the start.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I knew about the lower profile receiver and the DS choke system. I'm a bit of a skeptic on the DS chokes having any benefit vs most others available. Seems like a gimmick to me just to have a new design when there was nothing wrong with what they already had. But, was unaware of the mechanical triggers.
    Having the wood sourced from Michigan is pretty cool. Both yours and Noble Sniper's guns look good in maple. But generally I prefer classic American walnut.
    Chokes are one of those deep holes that people look for magic in. I have had guns with Factory Rem chokes, Briley premium chokes, The Mobile, the Optima, Optima HP and the Optima plus chokes, Winchokes, and a 1/2 dozen different brands. I have paid close to $500 for a premium, five choke set. I am still not convinced they pattern any better than the factory Beretta chokes.

I have spent some careful time on the pattern board. There IS NO MAGIC CHOKE! If you look carefully at patterns, the difference in the hot spot is an inch or two, maybe 9 pellets. Most misses are measured in multiple feet. A three pellet broken clay records in the score book the same as one that completely turns to dust. Get a choke that is appropriate for the use, and concentrate on shooting.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Good video going over the differences , I have read on forums that the 725 triggers apparently have issues with sub gauge tubes but that is not a concern for myself personally. The Invector DS chokes do work as advertised I will give them that, shot 1,000 rounds through my 725 last weekend and upon removal the threads were clean. I have also noted that versus other extended chokes they don't loosen up either, you need a choke wrench to change them. Way more than satisfied with my shotgun but it's the only one I have so my reference point is small.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Chokes are one of those deep holes that people look for magic in. I have had guns with Factory Rem chokes, Briley premium chokes, The Mobile, the Optima, Optima HP and the Optima plus chokes, Winchokes, and a 1/2 dozen different brands. I have paid close to $500 for a premium, five choke set. I am still not convinced they pattern any better than the factory Beretta chokes.

I have spent some careful time on the pattern board. There IS NO MAGIC CHOKE! If you look carefully at patterns, the difference in the hot spot is an inch or two, maybe 9 pellets. Most misses are measured in multiple feet. A three pellet broken clay records in the score book the same as one that completely turns to dust. Get a choke that is appropriate for the use, and concentrate on shooting.

I 100% agree with this.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Good video going over the differences , I have read on forums that the 725 triggers apparently have issues with sub gauge tubes but that is not a concern for myself personally. The Invector DS chokes do work as advertised I will give them that, shot 1,000 rounds through my 725 last weekend and upon removal the threads were clean. I have also noted that versus other extended chokes they don't loosen up either, you need a choke wrench to change them. Way more than satisfied with my shotgun but it's the only one I have so my reference point is small.

I will watch that shortly. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm still skeptical of the DS choke concept.
    I've been shooting Brownings with Invector and invector plus flush and extended chokes for 33 years and never had a choke loosen up, come out with dirty or gritty threads and never had one stuck in the barrel either.
    Not only in my guns but all the years I had to clean dad's guns too. I couldn't begin to guess how many thousands of rounds we've shot over the years. Often with nothing more than a swab with a ticco tool and wipe down with Rem oil for several trips to the range.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I 100% agree with this.

As I have shot more definitely agree as well, find the chokes that you shoot well with and have patterned and run them. My kids will most likely inheret my 725 with the M and IM chokes still in it :abused:

I will watch that shortly. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm still skeptical of the DS choke concept.
    I've been shooting Brownings with Inventor and inventor plus flush and extended chokes for 33 years and never had a choke loosen up, come out with dirty or gritty threads and never had one stuck in the barrel either.
    Not only in my guns but all the years I had to clean dad's guns too. I couldn't begin to guess how many thousands of rounds we've shot over the years. Often with nothing more than a swap with a ticco tool and wipe down with Rem oil for several trips to the range.

Just sharing my experience with my 725, again it's my first shotgun. I will also add the DS chokes are a tad bit "Open" IMHO

Last edited:
    Top Bottom