• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As I have shot more definitely agree as well, find the chokes that you shoot well with and have patterned and run them. My kids will most likely inheret my 725 with the M and IM chokes still in it :abused:

Just sharing my experience with my 725, again it's my first shotgun. I will also add the DS chokes are a tad bit "Open" IMHO

Absolutely, find what chokes work best for you as an individual and that pattern well and go with it. Being I shoot more trap than sporting, I tend to prescribe to the choke for smoke mindset. When you're ink balling them targets you know you're dead on 'em. I typically have IM/F screwed in my barrels. Now when I do shoot a round of SC's I run M/IM as well.

There's a good chance your kids will inherit that 725 ... unless you choose to upgrade to something fancier.

Not dismissing the DS chokes, just not sure there was really much need for a redesign. I've read on another forum from multiple people who claim they've mic'd their DS chokes and they claim them to be more open than standard constrictions. It's also claimed that the DS chokes have a different manufacturer than say the Midas grade Invector plus chokes my Citori came with, which were made by Briley.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Interesting on the wood being sourced from Michigan. Yeah I am normally a sucker for walnut but when I saw Deans maple 725….. I had to have one. Liked it so well I bought a X-bolt in the AAAA maple as well. Chokes….. I’ve never been a choke chaser. These seem to work well for me. I’ve upgraded chokes on a lot of shotguns in the past and may eventually do so with this one. But I remember running 49/50 shooting 27 yard handicap doubles with a beautiful old original Remington 870 B grade trap with the factory full choked barrel. So not all the magic lays in a choke tube IMO….

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Interesting on the wood being sourced from Michigan. Yeah I am normally a sucker for walnut but when I saw Deans maple 725….. I had to have one. Liked it so well I bought a X-bolt in the AAAA maple as well. Chokes….. I’ve never been a choke chaser. These seem to work well for me. I’ve upgraded chokes on a lot of shotguns in the past and may eventually do so with this one. But I remember running 49/50 shooting 27 yard handicap doubles with a beautiful old original Remington 870 B grade trap with the factory full choked barrel. So not all the magic lays in a choke tube IMO….

IMHO, there are so many available choke constrictions just because they will sell. I'm a believer that far too many people buy into gimmicks. Most target shooting regardless of discipline can be covered with SK, IC, M, IM & F at least from my perspective.
    Most of us (myself included) are better off keeping it simple. Gun fit/ making sure it shoots where you're looking/ hard focus on the target.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Not a sporting gun but I see a Beretta 1301 on my buy list this year. I can justify it on the A/B course at the gun club :abused: , definitely going to mount an EO Tech on it

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    Yeah they aren't the only ones who treat the wood to make it look better. Based on what I've read in product descriptions, some Beretta's have a similar treatment to enhance the wood's appearance.
    I shoot a mid rib pretty well but haven't really tried a high rib because my hunting guns are pretty flat shooters.

Art's is where I would send my Browning when I wear it in enough (they say Browning's wear in not out. Lol). I'm not even sure what I would want to upgrade to if I had the chance.
    I don't shoot enough to justify a K or P gun expense. I like the looks of some CG's but don't like that they don't sell any parts and require the gun be sent back to them for any work.
    I had my CG rebuilt last year at IGC during the state shoot, took about on hour and at no charge

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    My son and I did a half course of sporting clays yesterday.
    Great time and hardly any other people there.
    I can certainly tell I need to go at least once a month. One station just was a couple of fast throws. We played on report rather than throwing them at the same time.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I had my CG rebuilt last year at IGC during the state shoot, took about on hour and at no charge
    I’ve got an original Browning Citori with 30” barrels from 1973; a high school graduation gift from my Dad. Fifty years later it was and remains like a bank vault closing. Brownings do indeed “wear in” just enough to open and close like crisp silk. My son will inherit this shotgun and so will his son, God willing! :wavey:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Ran into another INGO member at the Indiana Gun Club today, that was definitely fun!!

Humid, but fantastic day to go shooting! Definitely going to try and go to a registered shoot this season, if I can make C class I would be super happy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ran into another INGO member at the Indiana Gun Club today, that was definitely fun!!

Humid, but fantastic day to go shooting! Definitely going to try and go to a registered shoot this season, if I can make C class I would be super happy.
    I need to get back out and shoot some sporting clays. Haven’t since well BC.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside

Hard to miss you with that gorgeous maple B725! Thinking back to the D target at station 4....I've tried it 5 times over the past two weekends and hit it exactly once :xmad:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Shot my first sporting clays course Friday afternoon. Managed to hit 44/100 with an old 870 Wingmaster. Unfortunately that has flipped the switch for me to purchase my next gun. There are so many options out there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Shot my first sporting clays course Friday afternoon. Managed to hit 44/100 with an old 870 Wingmaster. Unfortunately that has flipped the switch for me to purchase my next gun. There are so many options out there.
    Was it the follow up shots you missed? fixed choke? If so what is it? You might not need a new gun. I was knocking them down pretty well with my Mossberg 500 when I first started.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Was it the follow up shots you missed? fixed choke? If so what is it? You might not need a new gun. I was knocking them down pretty well with my Mossberg 500 when I first started.

Are you talking to my wife? Ive shot clays about 10 times in my life. This was a first for sporting clays. I didn't think it was that bad considering I was told it was a difficult course. Several 50-60yard shots. Fixed choke

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you talking to my wife? Ive shot clays about 10 times in my life. This was a first for sporting clays. I didn't think it was that bad considering I was told it was a difficult course. Several 50-60yard shots. Fixed choke
    LOL. No.

I'll not dissuade you from buying a new gun if you want one. Just making sure you dont think you need one.

What choke?

PS you need milk. I drank the last of it. LOL :stickpoke:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It’s an improved cylinder which wasn’t helping. I’d like a Benelli Ethos if we are being honest.
    You should be able to hit them with an IC. Make sure you continue to lead the clay. Thats my biggest failure. pulling the trigger and then "giving up" too quick and not following through.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Shot a 725 Browning for years. The only problem I ever had was the bottom firing pin on Brownings come in at an angle and would chip. Shoot 5000 rounds a year so I change it out yearly -$11.99 each and it takes 20 minutes to change -Up graded to a Caesar Guerini -Great free repairs and parts -that's if you break down at a major shoot - cost me for freight and insurance $185 for my last free service. Still carry a Browning firing pin in my bag. have kept many a shooter still shooting same day.

Top Bottom