• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    No as I was just trimming up the as built piece but as I got deeper into it I saw the effort was wasted.
    Crap, I did not see what radius that grip safety was cut to. I had 3 things going at once and the difference in the Springers was not front and center.
    Crap.

I will jig it up when we get back today. A Ingo buddy has several pounds of German hand cut bacon for us. Life is better with bacon. It just is.

If you ordered a b'tail from Harrison I doubt it will work on that, the top of those tangs have quite a downward slope, you might have to at the very least use an S&A .220 radius, I have the jig if you need it, keep the Harrison for a later project. Here's some more info:

[h=5]Springfield[/h][FONT=&quot]There is a lot of misinformation circulating about beavertail installations on Springfield pistols. First, there are two different frames to consider: the Mil-Spec / WW II frames with original style frame tangs and "Loaded" pistols that come with a factory beavertail.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Loaded model frames are cut for Wilson pattern beavertails and are usually over cut as they come from the factory. To get a nice tight joint, I usually weld the radius and re-fit the stock beavertail or a Wilson. A Group 1 beavertail can be fit, but will require a good bit of weld build up.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Early Loaded model frames are cut for Wilson pattern beavertails and later ones are cut for a .220” radius. Both are usually over cut as they come from the factory. To get a nice tight joint, I usually weld up the frame tang radii and re-fit either the stock beavertail or an S&A. A Group 1 beavertail can be fit, but will require a good bit of weld build up.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All factory frames not supplied with a beavertail can be fitted with a S&A .220” radius beavertail which will give a proper fit with little likelihood of needing any welding, other than maybe between the tangs to center the beavertail. A Group 1 beavertail can be fit, but will require welding to be done on the tops of the frame tangs, to be able to shape to a top register fit.[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    EGW offers a slightly over sized piece that requires fitting. I have one in the mail. If that does not work I will have 2 new Stainless grip safety's that might require I build a new gun in front of.....:):

My jig is a .250 piece so yes I might need yours.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Both new Grip Safety's came today and as you said some welding would be required to use either of them. If this were not a SS gun I might be inclined to do this but no. So if any of you fellas need a Springer .220 Radius or a standard radius SS GS letBefore I am tempted to build a gun in front of them.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was able to revisit my project a little bit lately. I got the beavertail all polished out and finished blending the rear of the slide and frame as well as contouring the radius of the thumb safety to match the contour of the frame. The thumb safety's been polished out since the picture. I also reamed the slide stop hole for the larger diameter slide stop axle that will help take up some of the barrel lug play.

RI8VsB2m.jpg

OXxLti3m.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got it cleaned up pretty good, taped the frame off and bead blasted the rounds but the matte underside doesn't show up very well in my quick pictures. It's always an adventure trying to checker these by hand, SPFD frames especially seem to have rather uneven frame radius's, it's not something you can really notice until you start carving lines onto it. The Pro's, even those that do it by hand always run the frame through the mill to square everything up but I don't have that capability. If I could do that i'd just machine checker like AllenM and call it a day!

Fg3b3JGm.jpg

VJwRL4Fl.jpg

JduJNZom.jpg

Top Bottom