Speer 124gr Gold Dot HP - Standard Load or +P Load for Self Defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I plan to test some Speer 124gr Gold Dot HP ammo for reliable function in my Glock 45.

For a self defense round, would you recommend the standard load or the +P load in this pistol?

Thanks

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Differerent brand and bullet weight, (Fed HST 147gr,) but the last info I seen on this subject was that +P in 9mm didn't add much in performance. It did add recoil though.

IIRC, our own BBI confirmed this. Maybe he'll be along to comment?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Go standard load. For most instances people don’t need +P and isn’t worth the extra recoil.
    But I’m these times buy what you can find. Test them in your gun and load them up

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think I remember something about the +P being better paired to shorter, sub 4", barrels.

But then recoil could be a factor.

I think you/we are really splitting hairs here. As Turnerdye says above, get what you can get and make sure it runs in your pistol and shoots to point of aim.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There isn't really any hard and fast answer. Sometimes the +P provides a significant boost in velocity that leads to more reliable expansion out of short barrels. In other loads the +P is more marketing than actual increased performance. Best bet is to chrono some of both from your pistol and see what the actual difference is, then you can decide if it is worth it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Differerent brand and bullet weight, (Fed HST 147gr,) but the last info I seen on this subject was that +P in 9mm didn't add much in performance. It did add recoil though.

IIRC, our own BBI confirmed this. Maybe he'll be along to comment?

HST 147, the velocity is nearly identical. The testing showed that there was more batch to batch variation than variation from standard and +P. My *assumption* was +P was marketing driven.

124 gr +P loads do tend add some velocity, although that may or may not be desirable based on the bullet design. Gold Dots are good to go in either flavor, but there were some early batches of G2 that failed to expand reliably and were recalled or resold as "training only" cartridges in black/white packaging. That shouldn't be an issue today unless you're buying used.

Smaller guns *may* not run +P as reliably due to the faster slide velocity outrunning the magazine's ability to present a new cartridge quickly enough. Factors like worn springs, aftermarket magazines with added capacity over OEM, or just lousy mags can exacerbate this. As such, I'd want a bit more vetting of my carry gear if any of those things were present.

Terminal ballistics wise, both will perform within acceptable parameters. Which one is better will actually depend, as in some instances the standard pressure penetrates more and in others the +P penetrates more. Both expand reliably and robustly. The biggest difference is in auto body where the +P is noticably better. +P is slightly better at auto glass, which is also a good predictor of performance with bone strikes.

If I was running a full size gun with OEM mags and had a valid concern about having to shoot in situations involving automobiles, I'd lean toward +P *assuming the gun shot them well and to point of aim*. Absent those criteria, I'd lean standard pressure. The differences *again assuming reliable function and point of impact matching point of aim* are minimal and given availability concerns I would not hesitate to use either. I would want more vetting with +P in smaller guns, though, for the reasons mentioned above.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I like 147gr for self-defense in 9mm for the extra penetration. 124gr is better than 115gr penetration wise. Lately I've been running 124gr because at the time I needed to replenish supplies 147gr in any type was out of stock. So you shoot what you have or can get in that case.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like 147gr for self-defense in 9mm for the extra penetration. 124gr is better than 115gr penetration wise. Lately I've been running 124gr because at the time I needed to replenish supplies 147gr in any type was out of stock. So you shoot what you have or can get in that case.

Availability is certainly a key factor these days. I also tend to favor heavy for caliber and like the 147gr, but the 124gr +P actually does penetrate more in one metric: Auto body testing. Of course how relevant that is to any given person depends on their circumstances.

115gr is very tough to get to pass the full FBI battery, as it tends to under penetrate in several of the tests. I don't know what the voodoo of 9 more grains is, but there's a definite trend of 115gr failing while the 124gr of the same brand will pass. That's not to say it's useless, you're still usually looking at 10" or so which is *generally* going to be good to go. Forearm strikes, shoulder/bicep shots from the side, etc. and it starts to get more iffy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Availability is certainly a key factor these days. I also tend to favor heavy for caliber and like the 147gr, but the 124gr +P actually does penetrate more in one metric: Auto body testing. Of course how relevant that is to any given person depends on their circumstances.

115gr is very tough to get to pass the full FBI battery, as it tends to under penetrate in several of the tests. I don't know what the voodoo of 9 more grains is, but there's a definite trend of 115gr failing while the 124gr of the same brand will pass. That's not to say it's useless, you're still usually looking at 10" or so which is *generally* going to be good to go. Forearm strikes, shoulder/bicep shots from the side, etc. and it starts to get more iffy.
    I did buy 350rds on 115gr Nosler JHP Match awhile back because it was to cheap considering now days prices to pass on. It was almost the same cost to buy the same components and load it as it was to buy it factory made. Cannot pass in those deals.

Top Bottom