• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive taken Murph's class. It was most excellent.

Any other live class alums... Is it just me, or is he a MUUUUUCH better teacher than he is youtube presenter? Ive taken his class, and know how well he teaches. But he comes across poorly on camera. Or is it just me?

Ive tried watching some of his stuff on YT. I think its called "Its a thing." and I did not enjoy.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ive taken Murph's class. It was most excellent.

Any other live class alums... Is it just me, or is he a MUUUUUCH better teacher than he is youtube presenter? Ive taken his class, and know how well he teaches. But he comes across poorly on camera. Or is it just me?

Ive tried watching some of his stuff on YT. I think its called "Its a thing." and I did not enjoy.
    I thought the same thing. Maybe the no swearing thing limits him too much. It was funny when they opened with Lee saying he could never answer a call from Murphy on speakerphone. That was how it was for Coach and me as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I thought the same thing. Maybe the no swearing thing limits him too much. It was funny when they opened with Lee saying he could never answer a call from Murphy on speakerphone. That was how it was for Coach and me as well.
    in reflecting on it, I get the feeling he just isnt that comfy in front of a camera, and is better in front of a group where its more personal and conversational.

Here is hoping he sorts it out. Because he is a MUCH better instructor than he appears on YT.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    Never carried pepper spray. Is there some that is recommended? Like a certain brand or type? Going to pick some up and work it in with my other options.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Never carried pepper spray. Is there some that is recommended? Like a certain brand or type? Going to pick some up and work it in with my other options.

A fair amount of trainers and YouTubers have ties to POM. A lot of other reviews on them on the YT.

POM also sells economical training replicas that spray the non spicy stuff. I was a spray dummy for one of these in a small group.

I cannot speak to comparisons, I just err on the side of people smarter than me making recommendations. POM products are cheap and quick on Amazon.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think it's already been mentioned in this thread, but self-defenders are infinitely more likely to need a spare mag to fix a mechanical failure, rather than shooting the gun empty during a gun fight and needing to do a speed reload. Here's what happened to me a few minutes ago.

I was getting ready for bed and I removed the holstered gun from my belt. I placed it on top of the dresser which sits about four feet high, but I wasn't really looking carefully when I set it down and must have put it on the edge. I turned around for a second and started to take off my belt and the entire rig came tumbling to the floor. It hit the hardwood and the magazine baseplate shot across the floor along with the mag spring, 17 rounds of ammo and the follower. The body of the mag stayed in the gun. Fortunately the drop safety worked.

I generally don't carry a spare mag, but had it been a self-defense encounter and I basically fumbled the draw and dropped the gun from above waist height, I would have been left with just a single round in the gun. Better to see the result of that scenario at home while not being attacked. Certainly made me think a little bit.

My Holosun red dot looks to have suffered no ill effects, and the Streamlight TLR is still secure and working fine. Now I feel a little bit like Aaron Cowan with his shoulder height drop tests when he reviews optics and lights. I'll need to confirm whether the optic held zero.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it's already been mentioned in this thread, but self-defenders are infinitely more likely to need a spare mag to fix a mechanical failure, rather than shooting the gun empty during a gun fight and needing to do a speed reload. Here's what happened to me a few minutes ago.

I was getting ready for bed and I removed the holstered gun from my belt. I placed it on top of the dresser which sits about four feet high, but I wasn't really looking carefully when I set it down and must have put it on the edge. I turned around for a second and started to take off my belt and the entire rig came tumbling to the floor. It hit the hardwood and the magazine baseplate shot across the floor along with the mag spring, 17 rounds of ammo and the follower. The body of the mag stayed in the gun. Fortunately the drop safety worked.

I generally don't carry a spare mag, but had it been a self-defense encounter and I basically fumbled the draw and dropped the gun from above waist height, I would have been left with just a single round in the gun. Better to see the result of that scenario at home while not being attacked. Certainly made me think a little bit.

My Holosun red dot looks to have suffered no ill effects, and the Streamlight TLR is still secure and working fine. Now I feel a little bit like Aaron Cowan with his shoulder height drop tests when he reviews optics and lights. I'll need to confirm whether the optic held zero.

I'll bet your sight is fine. IIRC, after the drop tests, Cowan's Holosun didn't lose zero? Do you have irons that you might verify approximately where it was before?

Crazy as it sounds, this was good luck. Home is where you want that sort of thing to happen, if it must. On top of exposing a bazaar equipment weakness that most folks could not dream up.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I'm right hand dominant. I carry in appendix. I have my cell phones and spare mag on a neomag in my left pocket, POM spray and a Benchmade in my right pocket, and a minimalist wallet in my back left pocket. I don't feel loaded down at all.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Listening to a good P&S modcast with some guys who really have BTDT and thought one question they covered in particular would be interesting to float here. I am sure not everyone will want to watch though I think I got it to start at the correct time stamp it is still pretty detailed. Basically it is as the title states. If you don't want to carry a whole bat belt, for you would it be better to carry a spare mag or pepper spray? I will answer first. In the past it would have been and was, a spare mag. Now, for a number of reasons such as not wanting to have to fight, I am going with pepper spray instead of a spare mag. If you get a chance give a listen to what the experts have to say, but even if you don't let us know what you think?

What.....no grenade?

Top Bottom