• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We have about 10 of the branded "Space Bags" and some of the knock offs. None, I say again, None of them have retained their vacuum seal. Others may have had better luck with them, but this has been my experience. Thus, I would never trust them for long term food storage.

Food Saver is the way to go, IMHO. Portion out in smaller, meal sized quantities so you don't have to worry about having to use up the entire lot once you break the vacuum seal.

If you want larger quantity storage, 5 gal buckets with Gamma Seal lids. Put some oxygen absorbers in before you close them up and have some in storage for resealing.

Just my suggestions, YMMV.

Will H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Tennessee
    ^^ Agreed. Even if you could get the space bags to retain their seal over an extended period of time, which I have found to be improbable even storing laundry, you are committed to using that entire container. Like Stschil said vac seal them. Then you can place a lot of vac sealed bags in a storage container with a lot less worry.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I need to get a vac sealer. I have had the same experiences with the Space type bags. Only storing laundry in BOBs and vehicles.

Right now I use mylar and O2 absorbers for long term storage. I buy the one gallon bags so I don't have to use entire contents at one time. Will make it easier to test lots as well.

I have heard of people using vac seals on other items besides food. That would make it more appealing to me. Items in a bag that you don't want to get wet and yet could be crunched down a little more.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Ya, I agree, don't trust a space bag. We put our extra blankets and stuff in them and they don't all hold the seal well. Some do, others don't.

We have a Food Saver and use it a lot. We bought a nicer version, as we had one of the base models several years ago. The wife loves it.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    FoodSaver and Buckets. For those of us on the cheapy cheap you can buy regular lids instead of the gamma seal lids, also buy yourself a tube of "Household Goop" (or any other silicone sealant) put a small bead inside the lip of the lid and snap that baby on.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    FoodSaver and Buckets. For those of us on the cheapy cheap you can buy regular lids instead of the gamma seal lids, also buy yourself a tube of "Household Goop" (or any other silicone sealant) put a small bead inside the lip of the lid and snap that baby on.

Seems like a good idea, but how do you keep the silicone smell from getting into the preps?

I got a few buckets from a bakery. They have seals. I soaked most in vinegar to try and get the sweet smell out.

Figured that the seals would work better if I was throwing O2 absorbers in the bucket. Just hate having a full bucket that gets degraded on one opening.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Seems like a good idea, but how do you keep the silicone smell from getting into the preps?

I got a few buckets from a bakery. They have seals. I soaked most in vinegar to try and get the sweet smell out.

Figured that the seals would work better if I was throwing O2 absorbers in the bucket. Just hate having a full bucket that gets degraded on one opening.

Everything I put in the buckets is in food saver bags already. I've used rice that had been stored that way for about 5 years, tasted just fine.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Good to hear. I have plans for a food saver and now it is bumped up a bit. If the nasty silicone smell doesn't et inside the bags and then all is good.

Thanks for the info.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Funny you say that... well, kind of. I was moving some stuff around this morning and started to wonder how big of a bag, food saver or mylar, that I could actually get.

Not thinking about food items as much as items that you might want to keep water and bug proof. Guess I can always just go the trash bag and duct tape route.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Funny you say that... well, kind of. I was moving some stuff around this morning and started to wonder how big of a bag, food saver or mylar, that I could actually get.

Not thinking about food items as much as items that you might want to keep water and bug proof. Guess I can always just go the trash bag and duct tape route.

When I was deployed I vac sealed all my guns with some silca gel in the bags. Stuck them all in the insulation in my attic....everything was in perfect condition when I got back.

Top Bottom